Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InkedDoll
VIP January 2015

Walking in but not giving away

InkedDoll, 19 of May of 2014 at 12:20 Posted on Planning 0 4

So, my parents don't yet know they are invited to our wedding - we originally planned to elope, but changed our minds. We're giving them the invitation this weekend.

It suddenly occured to me the other day whether I should ask my dad to walk in with me. My parents are still together, always got on well with my dad, he's a quiet man so we don't have the closest relationship but it's all good - no issues on that side. However, I don't want to be "given away" as I feel that it's outdated and sexist. (No disrespect to those who are doing this - it's just a personal thing.)

I wasn't even sure if there is an aisle as such in the room where we're getting married and the photos online don't really help, so I emailed the wedding co-ordinator to ask and she described it thus: "There isn’t an aisle of sorts however there is a stretch where you will walk from the waiting room into the marriage room which we describe to people as being like an aisle."

So here is my question: do people think that would it make sense for my dad to walk in with me, but not give me away? We aren't having bridesmaids or any other sort of 'wedding party', so he would then sit down with the rest of the guests when we got to the front, as opposed to stay standing there - would that look odd? Is anyone else doing something similar? All thoughts appreciated...

4 replies

Latest activity by InkedDoll, 19 of May of 2014 at 12:34
  • snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a civil ceremony? I don't think there's a traditional giving away bit in them, but I could be wrong.

My dad will be walking my down the aisle but then I imagine he'll hand me over to OH and then sit down.

I don't intend to have any 'giving away' words :-)

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I don't see anything wrong with that idea at all. In fact, if there is no proper "aisle" it would appear to work really well! And I don't think it would look odd if he goes and sits with the other guests either - it might look more odd if he is standing at the front on his own, if you are having no bridal party!

So, I'd say run with it Smiley smile

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is how it is done most of the time anyway, - gives you a peck on the cheek, squeezes your hand and sits down and even in a church the question is "who BRINGS this woman"

Its only the phrase that people say "giving away"

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We're having a religious ceremony, but not in a church. In Scotland the wording is decided by the celebrant (not sure if that's different to in England) - the venue have chosen our minister for us, but I'm not 100% sure whether we need to be in touch with him beforehand about wording. I should probably check that!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics