Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Rockstar April 2023 West London

Walking yourself down the aisle?

Sarah, 28 of January of 2023 at 18:08 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5

I have always intended to walk down the aisle by myself. My dad died in 2011, and so to me, there was never any other option. I’m a strong woman, very independent, and always have been.

My sister got married in October. She asked our Uncle to walk her down the aisle, but then he died a few months before the wedding. His son, our cousin, stepped in and walked her down.

I never considered changing my mind at all, but then today she said that I should reconsider, because she was so scared and anxious on the day that she never would have been able to walk it on her own, and our cousin practically carried her down the aisle.

So my question is for anyone who has walked down by themselves. Did it feel terrible? Do you wish you’d had someone with you? I don’t want to change my mind but not having done it, I don’t know if it is normal to feel like my sister did.

5 replies

Latest activity by FngielPak, 21 of March of 2023 at 10:16
  • L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content

My dad has decided not to come to my wedding (which is fine with me), so I'm walking down the aisle on my own with my Squad (3 best friends) probably in front. I have options for other people I could ask, but to be honest I don't really want anyone. I always thought it would be awkward with my dad too, to be honest.
    Do you have any bridesmaids etc who will be there with you? I'm thinking I won't be alone cos I'll have my friends with me. Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question, as I haven't done it yet. I'm sure you'll be OK though.

• Anna
    Curious June 2024 Surrey
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    My partner & I are plan to walk each other down the aisle: going into our wedding as we want to come out of it, together & with mutual support. It's probably easier for us to make this choice because we're both brides (and neither of us are on great terms with our fathers), but it's an option for any couple. Walking down with your bridesmaids seems like a great idea too--or your mother if she's still around & would want to be involved in this way?

Whatever you choose, I think it's important to frame it in a way that works for you & recognises your independence. You can ask someone to walk with you because they're an important part of your life & you want their support on your wedding day--that walk doesn't have to culminate in them "giving you away" if you don't want it to.
  • P
    Beginner August 2023 Essex
    Poppy ·
    • Hide content
    I am also planning on walking myself down the aisle as I don't have a great relationship with my dad, I am worried that I'll be so nervous the day of but I think it's the right choice for me! You'll have your bridesmaids with you right until the end so hopefully that will calm your nerves
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    I love that you have said you are a strong woman and independent. Your sister will just be concerned but you do what is in your heart. I’m sorry about your Dad. My Dad sadly passed 3 years ago out of the blue but as he knew he had a few weeks left he asked my mum if my nephew could walk his 3 girls down the aisle. So to me there is a connection there, but I would have always asked him anyway. Wether someone walks you down the aisle or not Ofcourse you will still be nervous. Let that moment represent you and go with your heart, don’t let anybody make the decision for you, but if you do pick someone make sure it’s the right person. ❤️
  • R
    Curious August 2024 Kent
    Rochelle ·
    • Hide content
    I saw a beautiful wedding where the bride walked herself down the aisle carrying a balloon with a white feather to commemorate her dad who’d she had lost. In a way your dad will be walking down with you and so long as you feel comfortable with that then I say you go girl !

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics