Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

judeclarke
Beginner October 2011

**WARNING** eeewww factor = 10

judeclarke, 19 of December of 2011 at 11:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 37

** DISCLAIMER: If you are sensitive about food hygiene please leave quietly**

I was busy making mushroom pate at the weekend and I had a little bit of a shock.

I bought 2 packs of dried porcini mushrooms at my local supermarket, and prepared the the same way as I always had - soaking them in boiling water for 15 minutes, then drained them. As I removed the mushrooms from the sieve I noticed some little bits left behind, and when I checked they were MAGGOTS! Little white 1/2 inch long MAGGOTS! ?

Of course I bundled the whole lot up and rushed back to the supermarket (feeling a little green), they filled out a complaint form, gave me a refund and called a manager to get the rest of the product off the shelf for checking. They also promised to escalate it to the manufacturer. I then rushed home, threw away the sieve and scrubbed my kitchen.

But then a thought occurred to me - what if I hadn't spotted them and put the whole lot in the blender? And how many other people had bought the same product and not noticed themself? What if someone is eating beef wellington laced with maggots for dinner?

So ladies, please check if you're using dried mushrooms. I am now completely paranoid and I have had to check almost every ingredient in my kitchen.

37 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 20 of December of 2011 at 08:03
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

That is pretty yuk but I have to admit I think I'd rather eat the maggots than the mushroom. ?

Glad you spotted them before you'd eaten any!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Mushrooms ?

maggots in mushrooms ????

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

If I found that, I'd never be able to eat it again.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

I have made my mushroom pate with fresh mushrooms. I am changing brands for porcini.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, this has made my stomach literally turn!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

When I was 15 i worked as a potwash in a pub/restaurant. On my first day there I went to get a scourer down from on top of the washer and there was "rice" in the container. Then I noticed the rice moving and the scourer container was riddled with maggots. ? It looked like someone had left remnants of raw bacon on the scourer and put it back in the container in the hot kitchen in the middle of summer. I screamed and chucked it on the floor and then got more or less threatened by the manager not to breathe a word to anyone!

Another time, when I was about 8, I found a woodlice in the pasta bolognese that my mum had cooked me! ?

I was going to use some flour the other day but thought since I'd not used any in a while I should check for flour bugs. It was riddled. ? H was shocked and had never heard of getting bugs in flour.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

*rushes home to check all bags of flour*

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Ewwww minging!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

A what? Bug in flour? How??? ?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I once found half a worm in a box of rice crispies. I don't want to think about where the other half of the worm may have gone.

This is why I now go through all ingredients to a level bordering on OCD before cooking with anything!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I once found weevils in a box of cereal - it was a really old box of cornflakes and I didn't realise until I had added milk, sat at the dining table and picked up a spoon - there were bugs swimming in my bowl.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

How do they get in there?!!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Are they called Weevils? I didn't know that.

Yeah I could see the little blighters crawling round. They are really tiny though so if your eyesight is not the best you might need a magnifying glass. I'd never heard of them till i was about 20, I was going to bake something and my mum said to check the flour for bugs first and there they were! yak.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Eugh I bet I've had them before and never noticed them. I only really use flour for cheese sauce and I just chuck it in.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

OMG that's just gross! How do they get there?

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

They are still really tiny though aren't they? I don't want people thinking I've got roaches clambering through my cupboards.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

@ that picture - this was my actual face for real - ? ? then ?

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

Yuk! So glad you spotted them! Last night whilst preparing dinner, I found this little fella:

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's like a snake!!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

This thread is great for my diet, I have suddenly lost my appetite.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG! I really cant cope with bugs like that...

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Had Weevils loads of times - best not to keep flour near the oven cupboard - just throw it out if discoverd and yes they are tiny. Best to keep inside the plastic containers

I would guess that they are egg stage when you get them but hatch out over time in warm conditions etc but are normally cooked in egg stage when you get it

Flow.. You dont keep flour standing long enough to get any in the first place!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The mushrooms themselves would make me vom but the addition of maggots is so vile. Urgh,so lucky you spotted them in time. Am off to check the flour when I get home.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too! I need to make some pastry but I shant without thoroughly checking first!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I have been avoiding this thread all day and only just clicked to view as I felt sufficient time had passed from eating lunch. Glad I took the precaution. Blergh! Maggots in mushrooms! ?

Thank goodness you found them! *shudders*

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I bought some raspberries from Asda once, gave them a good rinse under the tap and put them on a plate (lack of bowls at work) and then noticed all little bugs crawling all over the plate. The raspberries went in the bin.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Ugh, I HATE weevils! They go through a life cycle so start as eggs then go to the crawling stage and then flying. Mainly as flour gets old and is unsealed. best way to keep them away is to keep the flour in an airtight container. I use those large cereal type tupperwares for mine.

I don't like any creepy crawlies full stop. A few years ago I did a shop at the local supermarket, got home and was unloading the shopping when I felt something on my hand, it was enormous tropical spider?? which had come from my bananas!! I was horrified and legged it around the kitchen screaming! OH managed to catch it into a container, we rang the supermarket and they advised us to take it back to them. We later found out that it got whisked off to the local Zoo/insect centre for examination and got put into their own spider collection.

We got a £5 voucher for all the trauma!

**Makes me shudder even thinking about it now, scarred for life!!***

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I remember being shown the flour bugs when at school and have never forgotten it so always check my flour for movement.

I remember the days when we used to go Blackberry picking and when we washed them the little wriggly things would crawl out ?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

We go through a lot of flour in college and at home but we are always told to check for weevils. They're easy to spot as tiny little brown dots in the white flour.

The thought of the maggots in mushrooms has just made me go ? though, I use dried mushroom loads.

I was in the supermarket a few years ago buying loads of salad stuff, I was using a basket instead of a trolley. I felt something cold on my neck and reached up to find a huge caterpillar crawling up my neck, obviously straight out of the basket and up my arm. It took all my willpower not to scream the place down!

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so glad I saw it haha! It's the biggest caterpillar I've ever seen! Better than getting a load of maggots though!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Well I checked my flour and couldn't see anything, but this thread freaked me out so I bought some fresh flour anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics