Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

washing dishes and tidying at DIY wedding

knitting_vixen, 30 November, 2010 at 16:48 Posted on Planning 0 8

The thread about setting up got me thinking (great suggestions there by the way!)...

We will be hiring crockery from the venue (glassware we will hire from a company who will clean as part of the service) and they have asked us to wash them afterwards. We will also have to tidy the venue (village hall)...

Any DIYers in the same boat? If so, what is your solution? I do not fancy doing dishes after my wedding, nor do I fancy tidying up!

8 replies

Latest activity by lovelygirl, 30 November, 2010 at 19:13
  • BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

If I was in the same boat I'd be hiring a cleaner to come in and do it for me.. Not a chance I'd do it myself, but heck I don't even wash up at home lol.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My first call would be the Yellow Pages, looking up for an industrial cleaner.

If if you have a a sibling, niece or nephew around age 18, offer to pay their friends to do the clearing up.

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

We've hired a small team - cooks / waiters / cleaners whatever.

We only have 6 people and to be honest I expect them to do whatever is neccesary on the night. Thats what they are there for.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I tidied up after my daughter's church hall reception. hoovering in my best Mother of the Bride outfit. I wouldn't do it for my own wedding, but maybe you have kind and generous (like me!) relatives?

• A
    Beginner June 2011
    Anne! ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I've tidied up after my newphew's christening, and it is a lot of work - if it is in your budget I would hire cleaners, unless you know of anyone that would be willing to do it for you (friends of friends etc) if you paid them (could work out cheaper than professional's?)

xx

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Yep, i agree with what the others have said, defo dont be doing it yourself, either friends/family that could help out or else hire some people x

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I've spent many an evening clearing up after events at the village hall - I wouldn't do it at my own wedding!

I'd put a shout out to other venue users - scouts? - or friends' teenage kids who want to earn few quid. I could probably find a handful of youngsters who would do it for cash.

Or you could ask the caretakers if they know of anyone who would help - they may already have some people they recommend.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Well I plan to help tidy up after our wedding in the village hall (i instigated the mess making), but i decided that washing up loads of plates was a step too far - We are having paper plates but normal cutlery that we can take home and pop in the dishwasher. We have till 12pm on the sunday to get the place back to ship shape fashion before the next users turn up. So we will be tidying up on the sunday morning, 2 of my sisters have been chamber maids so super quick and professional. We are hiring the glasses from waitrose so they will be washed in the home dishwasher before returned. We are only expected to clear stuff away and make sure the kitchen and bathrooms are presentable. They have a hall cleaner that does the cleaning on the monday - if we don't clean correctly then we will get charged £10 an hour by the cleaner for however much extra she needs to do.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics