Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2013

Washing your wedding dress

HAG13, 9 of February of 2015 at 18:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Its been a while since I have posted, hope everyone is good! I currently have the bottom layer of my wedding dress sitting in a bath tub full of water and now I thought I may need some help!!!

I got married 2yrs in July and my dress remained unclean. Recently I went to a vintage bridal shop with a friend and she told me that she cleaned all the dresses in the bath with some napisan which I understand to be vanish without any special additions, but I should do this asap to avoid permanent damage. So this evening I bit the bullet. I got my dress out and it is much worse than I remembered so thought I would give it a go with taffeta layer underneath first as this is the least delicate but also the most dirtiest. I have it hanging in there over a clothes horse...

The dress cost £400, dry cleaning came in at around £100. I have no intention of selling it therefore have found it difficult to justify the cost but I would like it looking a little bit more nicer.

Therefore my question is - has anyone attempted to wash their dress at home?? I have read a few things about even putting it in the wash on a delicate cycle in a duvet. Dare I say I am seriously considering doing this if soaking it doesn't work... Am I completely crazy?!

I probably should also add that its netty with lace appliques, pearls and sparkles!

Ekk.! What have I just done?!

16 replies

Latest activity by alyj66, 21 of February of 2015 at 15:06
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

One of the September 2014 brides washed hers in the bath and it came up really well! See if you can find the September 2014 OMs thread, she took pictures before and after. Good luck! I hope it works ☺

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mrs Shep - I have tried to find that thread but have had no such luck. Hopefully in a few hours time I will see some results myself on my dress!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've heard that machine washing on a gentle cycle inside a white duvet cover works. I wasn't brave enough to try it though!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I dragged my butt through my discussions :-)

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/465202.aspx?PageIndex=11

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for this!!! I was goggling for "washing dress" and similar in the title which is why I probably missed it. Soaking it in the tub hasn't done anything much. To be fair it is really grim. Might pluck up the courage to chuck it in the washer at the weekend. Thanks for your help though!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

How are you doing HAG? Long time no see

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, not sure if I'd risk the washing machine but I did hand wash parts of my dress and it turned out okay. My dress was pretty much spotless after the big day, I just had a bit of deodorant marks under the arms but came out with a bit of diluted detergent and warm water!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

My wedding dress only cost me £250, but I loved it so much that I had to pay the dry cleaner bill to get it cleaned. Best money ever spent. It's now packed away beautifully in a box in my loft ready to get out in 10 or so years when I want a trip down memory lane!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Ali G - Just had a little nose at your report. Lovely Smiley smile

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Let me know how you get on with the washing machine. I need to clean the bottom of mine before I wear it again in the summer (we're having a photo shoot with the lovely DW) The lace overcoat is the worst so I'm going to try a gentle handwash and hang it outside when the weather gets a bit better.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am good thank you Erin! I have been trying not to be distracted lately (hence not being around) as I'm still finishing off my studies but needs must and all that. How are you? How is everyone in fact?

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm. I think I am going to soak it in the bath again at the weekend and take to the worst bits with a toothbrush. If I can't get it out with water and soap, I can't imagine that the dry cleaners would be able to make is disappear either. If no look in the tub, its going in the washer! I will take some pics and hopefully show my dirty before and beautiful after!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is currently in the washing machine!!!!

On this lovely Friday evening when I should be doing some studying I went crazy and put it in the wash!

The bodice has lots of detailing on it so I wanted to protect this the most. I put a vest top over it, securing it by tying it to those underarm hander things, and then put a pillowcase over it. I then put it all in a white duvet cover, plonked it in the wash with some delicate washing liquid, set it to a short cycle on a 30 wash with no spin. It'll be finished in 30 mins so now I have moved on to some wine whilst I anxiously wait.

Here are the before pictures of my really mucky dress (I know the bottom got dirty because I gave up on shoes but I have no idea where the other much has come from!). Its gross. It needed cleaning. I hopefully, fingers crossed, have cleaned it perfectly!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Wow, that did get surprisingly dirty! Got my fingers crossed for you that it comes out well!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Yeaaaahh. Although I was roaming around the garden barefoot most of the day... However, it did make me think how clean the floor was in the venue too. Mind you, people wouldn't have had clean shoes from being in the garden all day. Gross. Oh well! We had fun!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Its out. It survived! The scum on the bottom hasn't quite come out thought (TBH I thought that would be a long shot on a 30 wash). So tomorrow I'm going to pre-treat the bottom with vanish and chuck it in again!!! No beading appear to have come off, it doesn't appear to have shrunk, and it smells lovely! Hopefully I will have more of a positive update after round 2!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for coming back, I'm not sure that I'll be putting mine in the machine but I'll definitely try the bath method.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics