Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

amihohu
Beginner September 2013

Watch experts....

amihohu, 21 of August of 2013 at 20:54 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

Any out there? Want to get OH a watch for the wedding, looking at spending a max of £300, but I am really clueless! Amazon seem to have a good range, but I don't really want to just pick one on there that costs the closest to £300 and presume it's a good one... in case it isn't! I'm looking for a metal strap one rather than leather. Thanks otters!

21 replies

Latest activity by amihohu, 25 of August of 2013 at 12:03
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

OH wears an Omega as his "posh" watch and a Casio G Shock Aviator as his "weekend" watch - the G Shock was about £180 (its gone down), its a very very good watch but its strap is resin not metal.

This is it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Shock-Quartz-Analogue-Display-GW-3000B-1AER/dp/B0039YOHVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377117532&sr=8-2&keywords=g+shock+aviator

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I bought Boy a Tissot last Christmas. They are 'good' watches (rather than 'fashionable'). Omegas are regarded similarly.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Check out Brand alley and/or secret sales they usually have massively discounted gents watches I got OH a Andre Belfort as one for his wedding presents they retail over a grand and I paid around the £300 mark

• Polka Dot Penguin
    Beginner
    Polka Dot Penguin ·
    • Hide content

I got Mr Penguin an omega watch for his wedding present. I got it when it was amazons lightening deal/deal of the day or something and it was a case of right place, right time I think as I paid about £30 for it. Mr Penguin loves it, thinks it was a lot more expensive than it was (he doesn't know how much I paid) and it earnt me a lot of brownie points.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

If he doesn't like chunky watches have a look at the brand skagen. They sell them in house of fraser

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! Yeah I think he would prefer a 'good' watch rather than a fashionable one. Got some brands to look into there though, and will keep an eye out on amazon lightening sales/secret sales etc Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Victorinox keeps cropping up as a brand that makes solid watches. A lot of the watch reviewers rate them.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Check out the website www.watchfinder.co.uk - sometimes some bargains to be had there

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

There are some Hugo Von Eyck watches on Brandalley at the moment from £100 upwards. I don't know how respected the brand is but they seem to retail for quite a lot.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking there must have been a zero missing there?

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

The one that M has (Ltd Ed Moon to Mars) was about £2500 so yes, I think there may be at least one zero missing

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They seem to be on some reviewers black lists so I would probably steer clear.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Humm yeah I am a bit wary of so called good prices on these deal sites sometimes. You can often either not find the product elsewhere (except the manufacturers own website) or you can find it elsewhere for the cheap price and the rrp is a loada twaddle!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm all about asthetics when it comes to watches and find many brands regarded as 'decent' produce rather ugly watches IMO.

Plus what does a 'decent' watch do that a 'fashion' watch does not? They both tell the time in the same way and even if a 'decent' watch never needs a new battery thats not a good enough reason to spend £1k+ when you would never spend that buying new batteries in a lifetime.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

I'd be with you on that Funky if only OH thought the same haha.

• Polka Dot Penguin
    Beginner
    Polka Dot Penguin ·
    • Hide content

Oops, clearly I shouldn't post on forums when I am tired but can't sleep as it seems things get muddled in my mind. The watch I got on amazon for a wedding present was a rotary watch (no where near as impressive) but still £20, although Mr Penguin does have an omega watch (I think). Sorry.

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could well be right. I don't know the first thing about watches, I just noticed they were massively reduced.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Just a quick update to say that I went for an Orient watch in the end. Did a whole load of research, decided I wanted to get his a mechanical watch rather than a quartz, with sapphire crystal cover to make it that bit extra special. Orient turned out to review really well for the price bracket I was looking for, so went with this one:

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I know nothing about watches although H is a watch freak, but that is a beauty he will love it.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

I now know more about watches than I ever really wanted too....!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics