Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2011

We think we have chosen our readings!

MaryJoanna, 10 April, 2011 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0

The OT and I have been looking at readings lately and think we are going to opt for these two. They both brought a little lump to our throats and spoke to us. I got the idea of a quote from the His Dark Materials trilogy as we both really enjoyed reading the books and as we live in Oxford it seems very apt! I work in children's book publishing so also like the idea of linking to that somehow. I just stumbled across the other poem on another wedding website, and we both liked it and felt it was 'us'.

My only worry is are they both too lovey-dovey next to each other?! (It sounds silly when I write it down!) Readings which are a bit more classic that might be harder to decipher with lots of 'thees' and 'thous' just don't seem to really speak to us, but I wonder if it will seem too sickly sweet and whether we should be looking for something more allegorical?! Any thoughts?!

The Amber Spyglass, Philip Pullman

She sat down slowly, and he sat down beside her.

“Oh, Will,” she said, “what can we do? Whatever can we do? I want to live with you for ever. I want to kiss you and lie down with you and wake up with you every day of my life till I die, years and years and years away. I don’t want a memory, just a memory…”

“No,” he said, “memory’s a poor thing to have. It’s your own real hair and mouth and arms and eyes and hands I want. I didn’t know I could ever love anything so much. Oh, Lyra, I wish this night would never end! If only we could stay here like this, and the world could stop turning, and everyone else could fall into a sleep…”

“Everyone except for us! And you and I could live here forever and just love each other.”

“I will love you for ever, whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead I’ll drift about for ever, all my atoms, till I find you again…”

“I’ll be looking for you, Will, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again we’ll cling together so tight that nothing and no one’ll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you… We’ll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams… And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me, we’ll be joined so tight.

Love by Roy Croft

I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me