Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

muffins
Beginner August 2003

wearing collars turned up?

muffins, 26 of May of 2009 at 18:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Why??

I was watching something on TV and a man in his early twenties had a rugby shirt on with the collar turned up, and I wondered why? I can remember years and years ago this being a vauge fashion trend but did not last long, but every so often I see someone wearing their collar turned up, and just thought I would ask why!

14 replies

Latest activity by Sky, 15 of April of 2023 at 10:26
  • Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

I think it's the internationally recognised sign for a w*nker, they do it so that they're easy to spot.

• kjfc100
    Beginner August 2008
    kjfc100 ·
    • Hide content

It's de rigeur around here. We live next to a v posh public school and all the kids wear their collars up. For the girls, it seems it's fashionable to wear very baggy jogging bottoms with Birkenstocks, a hoody, a scarf and unbrushed hair gathered in a huge bouffant at the back of the head.

I don't really fit in wearing my New Look combats and practical cagoule.

• Ginger
    Beginner June 2008
    Ginger ·
    • Hide content

I won't hear a thing said against it as Mr Danny Dyer wears his up, and he is hot.

That is all

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

My MIL does this - cotton jumper with shirt underneath and the collar turned up. Then a pearl necklace inside.

very Sloane Ranger

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, my H always wears his rugby shirt collars turned up.

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Very, very naff. Sorry JB and Ginge.

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree. It's often a pink Hackett shirt with the collar up. Sorry!

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

The massive Hackett logo nicely completes the Tim Nice But Dim image <shudder>.

• Tulip O`Hare
    Beginner
    Tulip O`Hare ·
    • Hide content

Yep, sorry but I'm with Wonkle on this one. In my experience, men doing this are invariably tossers.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

My H isn't doing it as a fashion statement - just that he can't quite figure out his collars. He is often known to also be wearing them inside out too ....

There is no hope on the days he is going to have to get our daughter ready for nursery.

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Hackett tops, worn by east end barrow boys made good who are under the impression they're qual-i'-eee because they cost more than 50 jibs ?

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

It's quite a Ben-from-The-Apprentice look, I think.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

The whole collar up thing was a cardinal sign of being a Yah at St Andrews Uni ?

That alongside with sweaters blazoned with ski logos, Pringle or other golf v-necked sweaters, pearls, etcetera etcetera... Not forgetting a loud braying laugh in small quiet pubs ?

<disclaimer> Some Yahs at St Andrews were lovely, just as a mob they got up the noses of every local in a 5-mile radius ?

• RubyBlue
    Beginner May 2008
    RubyBlue ·
    • Hide content

A girl I work with who is from Chelsea dah-ling, does this. My boss also does it, when he's dressed down - he's Scottish but has a flat in...Chelsea! I have noticed that it seems to be quite a trend around the Thurrock area, as loads of blokes have upturned collars when I've seen them in Lakeside.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics