Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner June 2014

Wedding abroad 2014

Juliana_B, 2 of April of 2013 at 15:28 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 6

Hello all!

I'm new here and just decided to join you guys ?

I got engaged last September ❤️ but we've started researching and budgeting for our wedding early this year for 2014, possibly May (hoping it will be warmer than this on going winter weather). However like most people who just got engaged, we don't know where to start even with all the extensive research we've done.

Ideally we want to get married abroad, somewhere warmer/drier than the UK. We also want to escape from the politics within our family & friends which we have to invite (I'm Chinese & my fiance is Irish so you can imagine the huge guest list)!

We have looked at several countries/islands within Europe and even stretched all the way to the Caribbean & the islands (Seychelles / Mauritius) on the Indian Ocean! Unlike most people, we don't want to go out to the extreme where our family have to fork out all their savings just to attend our wedding, especially with this economic climate! We want everyone to have a mini break yet won't break their bank and go home with a beautiful memory of our wedding.

I also know that because we are not from the same country, there are various paperwork required in order to get married. We have already ruled out France as they require residency of 60 days. Most people would suggest we should just have the celebration abroad and leave all the paperwork to be signed in the UK. However my fiance's family priest will be travelling with us and will be conducting our wedding.

We are hoping to select our final wedding destination and pay a visit before considering it. We just want to make sure that we are happy with the location as pictures on websites doesn't give you the real feel!

So here are the questions:

From experience, where would you recommend to get married with around 30 guests?

Should I contact several wedding planners of the chosen country before we head out there to pay a visit?

Is it a real headache getting married abroad (paperwork, trustworthy of the wedding planner etc)?

Some people say it's cheaper to get abroad whilst other said it doesn't make a difference... so who's correct?

Sorry for the long post! Hope you guys can give me a helping hand!

Juliana

6 replies

Latest activity by MariaGeorgiou, 15 of June of 2013 at 16:27
  • N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Wow, well I’ll have a go but our wedding is quite the opposite ... just the two of us, we have no immediate family so we can more or less suit ourselves. However, I would say choose somewhere you both like and is meaningful to you. I only got engaged a few weeks ago and we have considered various ideas and countries but decided on Greece as it was our first holiday together, I used to work in Greece, we love the people and we know people out there who can help so it made sense.

I know you have to consider family but it is your day and they will be happy for you wherever you decide. I didn’t want to pay a fortune and get into debt for a great long lost aunty to moan that she didn’t like the wine or some brat who wanted chips and tomato ketchup, so we are just doing our own thing.

Sounds like Europe could be an option as it’s somewhere you can visit beforehand quite cheaply and is affordable for most guests in the UK.

Most European countries have wedding planners who do a lot of the paperwork and translation for you and takes some of the headache away.

So in my opinion (not very extensive but I said I’d try) the answers I would give are ...

From experience, where would you recommend to get married with around 30 guests? – Europe/ Mediterranean

Should I contact several wedding planners of the chosen country before we head out there to pay a visit? Yes why not it won’t hurt and they do this for a living so will have some amazing ideas and be able to show you different locations for the wedding/ reception etc.

Is it a real headache getting married abroad (paperwork, trustworthy of the wedding planner etc)? Not sure but a lot of people do it so it can’t be that difficult, have you tried a ‘package deal’ with someone like Thomson?

Some people say it's cheaper to get abroad whilst other said it doesn't make a difference... so who's correct? I think abroad is cheaper but then if depends on the size of the wedding and what you have, buffet, sit down meal etc. I think you get more for you money personally.

Good luck!

• Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Congratulations.! ?

I am getting married in Santorini next month, one of the greek islands. We are having 24 guests.

I choose Santorini because it is absolutly stunning. Most amazing sunset. I have always loved the greek islands and i was orginally going for Crete but after seeing pictures of the venue's in Santorini and watching a programme about it i was totally in love. My planner sent me a ton of information and loads of pictures etc and after careful research we chose our ceremony and reception venue. She did tell me - which i already knew- Santorini is more expensive than Crete as its more of a boutique type Island but its still not ridiculously expensive and i loved it so we settled on it.

I was recommened Ionian weddings by friend who used them for her wedding in Santorini, and another of my friends who got married in Zante last year also used them. I looked into not using one but decided i would feel safer and it seems alot easier to go with a planner, especially with help of the language and all the paper work - which looked like the bit i would get confused with lol!...

My wedding package in Santorini has come to 6500 for the 24 guests. This includes - Planner fee's, paperwork fee's, wedding cake, free bar - with drink upgrade, served BBQ food, decorated alter table, chair covers and sashes, exclusive hire of the venue - including a DJ for 8 hours and decorations and tiki torches on the beach, transportation for guests and also wedding car for ourselves, greek dancers, flowers. Of course ontop of that is the actual holiday and spending and all the other bits.. wedding dress, suits, rings, BM dresses etc.... but as i say you can find a package for what ever budget you have.

hope this helps! xx xx

• R
    Beginner
    RodionHardy ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

we and friends of mine got married in Seychelles - and I certainly can recommend you to get married down there.

Seychelles belongs to the Commonwealth and this makes the paperwork quite easy.
    The official language is english, so you don't need any translations.
    You just need your passport, your birth certificates and an confirmation paper that you are not married at the moment.

The marriage regsitration in Seychelles is easy and fast.

You can get married already 3 days after your arrival in Seychelles.

The marriage certificate is usually ready on the next day.
    And you get an Apsotile, so it is valid worldwide.

The only bad thing about the Seychelles are the expensive flights.

But the beauty of sea and nature is stunning.

Check out Weddings in Seychelles by Direct Bookings ( http://www.wedding-in-seychelles.com ).
    Their service is great. Good consultation, fast responses and a great unforgettable wedding organisation.

xoxo

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    Josssh ·
    • Hide content

Hi Juliana,
    I perfectly understand you!... I'm going to get married in Italy, we love this fascinating country!We had our worries about planning a wedding long distance but we wanted something affordable and memorable .After many thoughts I decided to hire a wedding planner, and now I'm really happy!She's always contactable, unbelievably helpful and knowledgeable, about everything! She gives great advice and our budget is listened to and observed most attentively. Try to contact damawedding.it team, it is definitely an option worth considering.
    Good luck with your planning! ?

• R
    Beginner May 2014
    Rhimoss ·
    • Hide content

Hi Juliana!

I am getting married in Spain in 2014, on the Costa Blanca. Is your Fiance catholic? I'm guessing so as you mentioned his family priest will travel with you? I'm catholic but my other half is C of E and it's not causing us any problems at all, as long are one of you is catholic you can marry in a church in Spain. My parents have a villa in the village where we are marrying, which is why we got engaged so it's all very relevant and personal to us. I never in a million years thought I would want to get married abroad, but I decided the day he proposed we couldn't get married anywhere else!

Although we haven't started yet, our wedding planner has advised the legal paperwork is quite a lenthly process (6 months) but she will be taking care of this for us. There are a few things that need to be done from our side, we have to speak to my parish priest and obtain some paperwork etc from him

A lot of people have asked if I feel like we're missing out by going abroad but we are having a traditional church ceremony with the reception at a beautfiul chateu where we'll be able to eat and drink and dance outside and we have been lucky enough to be able to invite the same amount of people as we would have if we'd planned to marry in the UK.

The name of the planner I'm using is Marcella Doran, her website is http://www.yourdreamweddinginspain.com/ so far I can't recommend her enough. We phoned her the day after we got engaged as we didn't know when we'd next be in Spain so wanted to get the balls in motion, she met us the very next day and had a chat with us about what we were looking for, she then took us to a reception venue she thought we may like based on what we'd said it was everything I had dreamed of and more! I didn't even want to look at any other venues as I knew they couldn't compare and it was just 5 mins away from the church where we wanted to marry. If you visit out website www.richandrhiannon.co.uk you will be able to see where we're having the ceremony and the reception. I will say it is a very rustic, traditional part of Spain and most of our guests will be staying about 20km away from where the wedding is taking place, so we'll be providing transport. But there are some lovely venues on Marcella's website that are a bit more central.

Rhiannon xx

• R
    Beginner May 2014
    Rhimoss ·
    • Hide content

I meant where we got engaged, not why!!!

• M
    MariaGeorgiou ·
    • Hide content

Hey Juliana,

What about Cyprus? Its beautiful, not expensive (if you know where to go and what to do), with lots and lots of options regarding your wedding venue, reception etc. You can have a yacht, beach, mountain, pier, church, villa, swimming pool wedding and really enjoy it. It has sun and awesome sunsets and amazing food. There are direct flights from a lot of cities in the uk and if you book in advance they can be a bargain. I would highly recommend itSmiley winking

If you want further help, I am a wedding planner specialized in creating memorable weddings in CY & UK for every style and budget. Check out our website:

http://allbridesonboard.com

Best wishes for a lovely day

Maria

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics