Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Limoncellobride
Beginner June 2016

Wedding abroad and plus ones - PLEASE HELP!

Limoncellobride, 17 of January of 2015 at 13:00 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi everybody,

I'm recently engaged, and very excited for our wedding in Italy in June 2016! My fiancee and I are both quite shy/private people so have always discussed having a very intimate (family and bridal party only) ceremony, because we consider it to be a very personal thing to do, and would be very uncomfortable to have a large number of people watching. We are currently looking at a guest list of 26 for Italy (wedding and sit down dinner, very relaxed and low-key) and a big 120+ do in the UK when we get back, with an evening meal, disco, band etc for everybody.

When creating the guestlist we agreed that because of the size of the wedding party for Italy we would invite the partners of those we both knew, all of whom are either married or live together, and have not invited those boyfriends/girlfriends that we have either not met/ or have only recently got together (last couple of months or so). So far, because of the distance and the cost and the size of the wedding everybody has been extremely understanding and fine with it, including bridesmaids and ushers. Today,we get a phone call from fiancee's Dad who tells us that his sister (groom's auntie) has called him and said she is not happy that her son's girlfriend (who we have never met properly, or ever had communication from) is not invited. Groom's auntie has 4 children, all of whom are invited, and one is married so we thought it was an obvious that her husband was invited as we know him, and he is officially 'part of the family'.

In your opinion, have we done wrong? We certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, but we are very private people, and would both feel a little uncomfortable having somebody that we have never met share this important occasion with us, when we have friends and extended family and godparents that are only attending the UK reception.

We really didn't mean to upset anybody- and I guess we assumed people could see the logic behind our actions, but now I feel bad Smiley sad we just really can't afford for plus ones for everybody and wouldn't feel comfortable with attendees we do not know well.

5 replies

Latest activity by mrsh2b89, 17 of January of 2015 at 18:47
  • L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

And you are paying for them to attend? Think they should grow up and be grateful that they are in attendance to be honest and if they have a probably perhaps decline your offer/save you money!

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I don't have any advice to offer, just letting you know you've duplicated your post.

Your other ones here https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/481694.aspx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you're being at all unreasonable, they are. It really bugs me when people think they have the right to expect others to be invited like this. Tell her they will all be welcome to the after wedding party, but the ceremony is for immediate family only. I bet you anything too you know that he, the son, won't actually expect an invitation and might not even want to come..... let alone his girlfriend - other than a trip to Italy of course.

Offer to speak to the cousin yourselves and head it off that way maybe. x

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

At the end of the day it is your decision, however I shall share my story with you, it may help you make a decision.

We had 80 people at our wedding. We could have had almost double that but couldn't afford it. We invited all our aunts and uncles, but because we didn't have money/room we chose to only invite 5 cousins each (we both worked out we were closest to 5 of them) and no partners of those cousins. I have 9 cousins, 5 with partners and my husband has 15 cousins, 9 with partners, so if we had invited them all the numbers would have grown massively. We also weren't inviting children other than immediate family.

I rang all my aunts and explained this to them, and they seemed fine with it, very understanding. On the day one of my aunts and uncles were absent, I spent the day really worried something had happened to them or my cousins as no one would tell me anything when I asked, which just made it worse and my nana and grandad left early (aunt mum and dad). I later found out (through my sister, not through my aunt or grandparents or even my dad, aunts brother), that they hadn't come because they were offended that my cousins, their girlfriends and children hadn't been invited when other cousins had. I used to have a good relationship with my aunt and now haven't spoken to her since the wedding and didn't get a Christmas card off them. I hadn't spoken to the cousins for more than 5 years and had never met their girlfriends, despite me initiating contact with them. If I'm honest it has really spoiled my memory of the day, my aunt and uncle aren't in any of the photos and my gran is also a bit miffed about the whole thing. It now gets me upset to think about it all and I don't feel I can bring up the wedding in front of that side of the family. Had my aunt said something before had I could have at least had the opportunity to rectify the situation, but I didn't. I'm also p!!!ed off with them because we could have give their spaces to 2 other people who would have turned up!

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

At the end of the day it is your decision, however I shall share my story with you, it may help you make a decision.

We had 80 people at our wedding. We could have had almost double that but couldn't afford it. We invited all our aunts and uncles, but because we didn't have money/room we chose to only invite 5 cousins each (we both worked out we were closest to 5 of them) and no partners of those cousins. I have 9 cousins, 5 with partners and my husband has 15 cousins, 9 with partners, so if we had invited them all the numbers would have grown massively. We also weren't inviting children other than immediate family.

I rang all my aunts and explained this to them, and they seemed fine with it, very understanding. On the day one of my aunts and uncles were absent, I spent the day really worried something had happened to them or my cousins as no one would tell me anything when I asked, which just made it worse and my nana and grandad left early (aunt mum and dad). I later found out (through my sister, not through my aunt or grandparents or even my dad, aunts brother), that they hadn't come because they were offended that my cousins, their girlfriends and children hadn't been invited when other cousins had. I used to have a good relationship with my aunt and now haven't spoken to her since the wedding and didn't get a Christmas card off them. I hadn't spoken to the cousins for more than 5 years and had never met their girlfriends, despite me initiating contact with them. If I'm honest it has really spoiled my memory of the day, my aunt and uncle aren't in any of the photos and my gran is also a bit miffed about the whole thing. It now gets me upset to think about it all and I don't feel I can bring up the wedding in front of that side of the family. Had my aunt said something before had I could have at least had the opportunity to rectify the situation, but I didn't. I'm also p!!!ed off with them because we could have give their spaces to 2 other people who would have turned up!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    mrsh2b89 ·
    • Hide content

I completely agree that you are within your rights not to ask people you don't know well (I certainly wouldn't!) however I can also see it from the other side.

With getting married abroad the likelihood is that most of your guests who go to your wedding will also be combining it with their summer holiday due to the expense. If I was invited to a wedding abroad without my OH I may have to think twice about attending if it meant we wouldn't have a holiday together that year. Again it depends how close the person is to you, however I'm sure if they were close their OH would be invited anyway. I know someone has mentioned that the partner could still go on holiday but not come to the wedding but I wouldn't like to be left alone for the day and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my OH either.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics