Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner December 2015

Wedding abroad or at home??

decisions decisions, 6 of January of 2015 at 00:08 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi, we just recently got engaged over Christmas. It was a bit of a surprise in the way that we haven't even started saving for a wedding, which I always thought we would have done before hand, Anyhow neither of us are overly confident and would prefer a smaller intimate wedding - with parents and family, with maybe a party after with all our friends. The question is if we go abroad we don't want to put unnecessary expense on our families and also might eliminate some of them from attending and if we stay at home how do we just invite the majority of our friends to an 'after' party. We had thought maybe of a themed type party and perhaps try and hold it NYE?? Though that would be fairly expensive giving the time of year. Also what is the reasonable timeframe you set yourselves for saving/funding the wedding? Any thoughts would be most useful. Thanks

5 replies

Latest activity by Sums2b, 7 of January of 2015 at 21:56
  • LittleLocketanco
    Beginner
    LittleLocketanco ·
    • Hide content

Hi DD :-)

big decision there with home or abroad. If you go abroad the people who matter will find a way if you give them enough notice, but have a think about if people couldn't I.e elderly, pregnancy, tiny babies, school holidays etc.

a good place to start is with a guest list, decide on plus ones, children, cut off point for relatives (lol)...we got into a lot if trouble with our invite list but you know what, 18 months later we are blissfully happy and those we didn't invite we don't see anyway! We said no plus ones for plus one sakes, no aunties/uncles if they hadn't seen us recently etc and my poor mum bore the brunt of that choice but it saved us 100's!

mostly enjoy what you do! I miss planning mine sooooooo much! Good job I've two babies an a business to keep me entertained! X

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I was considering a wedding abroad but it would have meant that some people that I really wanted at my wedding (my grandparents) wouldn't have been able to make it. I chose wedding at home for that reason.

I wouldn't worry about inviting the majority to an after party. I think people would be quite understanding if you said you just wanted a small intimate affair. At least I know I would be!

We will have 13 months between engagement and wedding. For us, that's enough time to save. Only you know how much disposable income you have and how that fits with your budget. I know people who have saved 5 years for their wedding. i don't think there is any set timeframe really.

• G
    Beginner May 2015
    Gismo ·
    • Hide content

We are having a wedding abroad and its costing us £6k including 3 weeks away! We are also having a party the night before we fly out for those who are unable to fly out. We decided on egypt as we love it there so much and the 5 course sit down meal is costing £12 per head! For us though its about intimacy rather than having a massive budget so it does all depend on what is best for you. I agree though as had we both had grandparents it would not have been possible.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at Gretna. We invited: parents, my bro and SIL, aunts, uncles and my niece. This totalled 19 people and of those, 11 are coming. We just haven't told people that we're getting married - only maybe four or five people who aren't invited know it's next week, and they have all been completely understanding, so it can be done. The only issue is being vague when people ask about our wedding planning - but we've managed it fine!

We had 20 months between engagement and wedding but really only took a year to actually plan. That was fine for us. You really need a budget plan before you can figure out how long you need to save up that money.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

This is a huge decision and I am very bias as an abroad bride! Most people will say get married here if family can't attend etc but as someone who is doing it I have to say everyone is so supportive even if they can't attend and were having a party back home after. My advice would be to sit down with your oh and think about what you both want. It is hard making the decision to go abroad esp if close family can't attend but if it's what you want then go for it! We have said we will Skype our wedding to oh's parents and we are having a party back home but for the price of the uk wedding we'd have had we have now got a holiday to lapland over new year added in :-P not all destinations need to cost the earth and can do short breaks eg 2/3 days. I find google is fantastic for abroad wedding advice. Just type in wedding in Crete or where ever and you find stuff on trip advisor etc that may help.

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

We looked at going abroad but it was quite expensive so we decided to have a small registry office wedding here with 14 guests- parents, grandparents and siblings, followed by a vintage cream tea in a local stately house hotel type thingy with just those people. That's costing about £600 (including giving notice, ceremony, arrival drink, food etc) and then OH and I are going to Rome straight after (well one night in hotel near airport) for three nights.

Then we are having a big party in a function room with over 100 people three months after, with buffet, band etc which is costing another few hundred pounds. It won't be a posh do but it should be fun!

We started sorting things in October/November and are getting married in March!

initially we wanted an elopement type affair but changed out minds and this seems the perfect solution.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics