Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner June 2019

Wedding abroad, Party at home. Gifts?

Vegaswedding6786, 9 of October of 2018 at 15:28 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2

Hello All

My fiance and are I are getting married in Las Vegas next june, a handful of friends and family will be there. This is because they want to go on holiday to the states and have incorporated our wedding into their plans.

Parents/Inlaws are not coming. There's been no resentment about it and the vibe is that everyone is very happy for us to do it this way.

As a compromise, my partner and I decided to hold a party a few weeks after we return. It's in a lovely village hall with a big meadow, we're hiring a stretch tent and will be having a relaxed informal ceremony (vow renewal) conducted by a friend of ours before drinks, a laid back "chilli and potatoes" style dinner, speeches and dancing.

We've sent out Save The Date's and we'r enow in the process of wording our invitations to send out.

The main bulk of it I have got sorted but a lot of people have asked about gifts. It's a strange concept to me, I've never been one to feel excited about being showered with gifts, despite it being the done thing at a wedding, I also think where we're getting married away, should we even put anything about gifts on the invitation?

Whilst in America we will be doing a hike at a national park (and conquer my fear of heights) and I'm going to be collecting sponsorship to do this to raise money for the Alzheimers Research UK Charity in honour of my grandmother. So I would like to give our guests the option to donate to this as well as or instead of.

How do I word all of this? Do I word it at all? With elopments I understand it's poor etiquette to even ask for a gift but as we're holding a wedding reception and ceremony at home, does this change things?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

2 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 2 of November of 2018 at 08:29
  • B
    BetterGiftFlowers ·
    • Hide content

Hi. It's so amazing that you are thinking about raising money for a good cause during your wedding. About the gifts, I think it's best not to put anything about it on the invitation. If people choose to bring gifts out of their own happiness, that's great. If they don't, that's great as well.

About the Alzheimers Research UK, I think that's a really great idea. And I believe people would love to support that cause.

On second thought, you could put something like this on the invitation so that people would instead support the Alzheimers Research instead of bringing gifts. Something like, "In honour of my grandmother, we are raising money for the Alzheimers Research UK Charity."

There is room for improvement on that statement, but I think if you let them know beforehand in the invitation letters, they would be more inclined to donate to the charity.

Have a great wedding!! Do post the pictures of the hike. I'm so excited for you!

• V
    Beginner June 2019
    Vegaswedding6786 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your reply.

We have decided to put all the info on a website so we can send out a simple invite.

I'm really not fussed about gifts, but at the same time, we're removating our property at the moment and I expect this will be the case for the next few months and over the course of our wedding, so I also wouldn't want to end up with 20 photo frames etc for a house that isn't actually finished. I don't mean that to sound ungrateful because I'm really not.

I have put this section on our website:

"Because we're getting married abroad, we really arent expecting a gift, having you all there will be all we need. If however you do wish to still give us a gift, we have a few options...

If you'd like to do something a little different...

We are raising money for the Alzheimers Research UK charity in honour of my grandma who won't be able to attend our wedding celebration. Whilst in the USA we are hiking Angels Landing (and conquering my fear of heights) so we are asking for sponsorship for this. Please follow the link below to our JustGiving page.

If you'd like to do something a little tasty...

We'll be having a wedding "cake off" (Don't worry - No-one is judging!) So if you'd like to bring your best technical, signature, or show stopper to the desert station that would be just wonderful.

If you'd like to do something a little traditional...

We have recently saved up and moved into and are renovating our wonderful first home and we have enough pots and pans to fill it twice over! For this reason if you wish to give us a gift directly, a gift of money would be most lovely to put towards a rainy day."

How do you think that sounds?

Thank you for your kind words, I really want to do my grandma proud and it would be amazing to show everyone pictures of the hike at the wedding party and announce how much money was raised.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I think that's perfect - love the fact that you're doing the hike for your Grandma! Best of luck! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics