Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2021

Wedding Abroad with covid - How to Recover Deposits?

HappyRedCars17397, 28 of February of 2021 at 12:04 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 1

Hi all

I am wondering whether anyone can help me...

My partner & I originally had our wedding booked for JULY 2020 in the South of France.

We then postponed to end of MAY 2021. With latest announcements, this is looking very unlikely to go ahead due to a) guests from UK being able to travel (I know international travel is allowed from earliest 17th May but this is tight b) French rules around gatherings, lockdown etc.

We have spent so much in deposits and all via transferwise vs paying on credit card, that I am worried we will not be able to get any of our deposits back if we have to cancel all together? Does anyone know about this? If you have paid to a UK company + via credit card, there seem to be so many brilliant UK laws covering couples, but sadly not sure if this applies if you are a UK consumer but the wedding is abroad dealing with foreign suppliers?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBrownStationery29719, 1 of March of 2021 at 00:55
  • RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ยท
    • Hide content
    Hey. Do you have insurance at all? Then travel restrictions will obviously cause them to have to pay out.
    Regarding deposits. As I am rescheduling myself atm I have this issue too. If you choose to reschedule and weddings as such are not completely banned( even though you have personal reasons to reschedule) then you likely loose deposits. Even with uk company's once lockdown lifts deposits won't be refundable as such. As they are usually non-refundable anyway and without lockdown theoretically you could go ahead. You might be able to reschedule to another date and by that not loose the money? So its worth chatting with all your suppliers regarding terms and conditions.
    I suspect if you just cancel then yeah that money will be lost. This is btw the same in the UK. You would get refunds on bookings fully paid minus admin fees but usually not on deposits....They also might be some fees for rescheduling but usually still cheaper than loosing deposits. We were june this year uk but as I have family in Germany we decided to move the date. Mid May travel is unlikely tbh / not guaranteed at all and if possible then likely still with quarantine and that would not work for most people I guess. Hope you find solution

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics