Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2013

Wedding abroad..........flowers, cakes and such

Mrsbeevers2b, 2 of April of 2012 at 13:37 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 19

Hey!!!

I'm hoping to get married in Greece in 2013, but I'm having a panic about flowers, cakes, menu choices and venue decorations!!! I was wondering if anyone else had got or is further along with it than me, and can let me know what to expect choice wise?? I know I will need to pay extra and stuff for certain things. I'm planning to stay at Holiday Village Rhodes with First Choice. Everything seems great when I have spoken to First Choice, but I'm just panicking now that theres only going to be one choice of flower and stuff, and I will have to choose alot when I actually get there, and I might not like it!!!! Perhaps I am worrying too much.

Cheers!!!

19 replies

Latest activity by Fawny, 27 of April of 2012 at 19:47
  • Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I have booked mine through a wedding planning company and they have sorted all that for me, i had a list and pictures and menus of different venues and i got to choose which one i wanted and got to look at the menus to help me decide on the place i wanted and as for the cake i have given them instructions on what exactly i want and they have come back to let me know if it is possible or not and i gave them an idea of what i wanted for the flowers and i have pictures that will be emailed to me decide if i like or what i want changed, and i can also go and look at them when i get there and check out my venue etc, i am also taking a few decorations with me and going to source a few when im there, are you using a wedding co-ordinator throught the holiday company because im pretty sure they will help you with this if you ask them. If not you could maybe research some wedding planners on the island to help you sort out that part of it.

xx xx

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We have booked all of our through an independ wedding planners in Lindos too & they have been amazing. We choose where we wanted to have the reception & had a great choice on menus. Regarding flowers I gave the planner a photo of what I wanted & they got me a great price with the local floist. We are not having a cake but same again the planners had a massive selection & you could choose what you wanted. We met someone last year who was using a tour operator for their wedding & they were give a choose of two places for the reception, just a few choices for flowers, so if you want some special that you have your heart set on make sure you can do what you want with the tour operators before booking the wedding with them. All the best

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrsbeevers2b ·
    • Hide content

Hey

Thanks for you're information, I think I'm going to get in touch with the co-ordinator at the hotel as soon as its booked to get the price lists and specifications of things. My SIL to be has suggested for the flowers that I just take some of my own silk ones to add into the bouquet in my colour scheme and a bit of ribbon to tie round them and stuff. I think if I'm not happy with the options theres enough time for me to change my mind and tell them I'll organise the reception side of things myself cos I'm going to book the wedding when I book the holiday ---- I'm going for St Pauls bay too, it looks amazing on the photos. Did you're registrar give the service in Greek with an interpreter? What was that like? Did they give you a choice of different vows?

I just can't wait for the 2013 prices to come out I'm sooooo excited!!! I really want to get into the nitty gritty of planning everything and get invites sent out.

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Sounds a good idea from your SIL so you can make your flowers personlised. Yes St Paul's is a beautiful amazing place, we have been looking at it for years everytime we have been so it's great to be finally getting wed there. The wedding planner has told us that the registrar reads everything in Greek & then in english & I don't think there is any choice of vows. We have seen a copy of them & there is a lot regarding having children & looking after them so we are having that bit removed as we won't be having a family. The service is very short only abot 7/8 mins but you can do your own vows which we are doing & having two reading too which will make it a little bit longer. You get 30mins in the chapel grounds for your services & photos. Last year the holidays were released for 2012 in May so fingers crossed it will be nice & early for you again this year & I can gaurentee the time will fly!! We booked our wedding in Feb 2011 with the planner & had our date & time confirmed the next day for Sept 2012, so then we had 17 months to wait we now have only 5? Will all your guests be staying at the HV too? We have people dotted about in Lindos & Pefkos & we are staying in Pefkos so only a short journey to the chapel on the day, I think the HV is about a 40min journey from Lindos. It's all so exciting & people love it when you say you are getting married in Lindos, I can't remember what time of year you are going for or if you have been before, but it's very hot so pick a light dress & not a traditional uk dress or you will melt!

Tried to post a some pics we have for you, but can't seem to do it.

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrsbeevers2b ·
    • Hide content

Hey

Yeah me and my SIL are going wedding mad already lol. Her 18 month old is going to be a flower girl. I thought that the vows would be geared up to families and stuff which is fine by me. Do you need to go sign a register or anything at the town hall after? I never thouht about readings.....will have to think about that.

I've been hounding the weddings team, and found that the holidays come out on the 26 April, so I have booked the day off work lol. I want to be first in there, so I can get the wedding date and time confirmation from the registrar asap (I'm wanting 4pm). Then a quick turn around on the invites I've already had a sample one sent in preperation.

We will be going last week in May first week in June so I am thinking something chiffon or silk, and same material for the bridesmaids. I've been to Crete so I suppose the climate will be similar to that. I've never been to Rhodes before, just seen the pictures, so I'm always trying to find information out for people that have already been.

Most people will be staying at the HV with us, but I will be suggesting other hotels in Kolymbia of varying prices for people, so its their choice. I was concerned about the distance, but I got the 2012 extras list and aslong as there is 15 people it is only £300 for a coach to pick everyone up in Kolymbia take them to Lindos wait about then back again. Far cheaper than a taxi.

What colour scheme are you going for? Do you have much left to do?

• F
    fotogenico ·
    • Hide content

Girls, if you would like to have at your wedding UK based photographer you can book now without transport /accomodation costs! how does it sound? email here to find out more: info (at) fotogenico.co.uk.

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We have a burnt orange colour scheme. The men are wearing ivory & then orange cravats, they will be having waistcoats as will be just too hot for jackets. In fact it will be hot in the waistcoats but he wants to wear one, but will probably come off after photos when we get on the boat. My flowers are orange & we have orange table runners at the reception. My BM is not wearing orange as it does not suit her but not worried about that. Yes we have everything arranged as it was all done at the begining of the year with the wedding planner & she booked & secured everything then so we have no stress. When we get out there we meet her again & go to our reception venue again just to confirm final meal selections etc. Just waiting to start all the legal paperwork which will be in June, will be happy when all that is sorted out too.

Fingers crossed for you that you get your date of choice when you book. Not long now!

• V
    Vincent888 ·
    • Hide content

I just can't wait for the 2013 prices to come out I'm sooooo excited!!! I really want to get into the nitty gritty of planning everything and get invites sent out.

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Only another week or so & most tour operator will be releasing their 2013 prices for booking.

• Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

I know, yay! cant wait!, i have my appointment at tompsons, they are offering things like 20% on some holidays and free child places!! which will be really good! excited! xx xx

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrsbeevers2b ·
    • Hide content

9 days till I can book!!! I have got a countdown timer on my phone lol!!!! Once its booked, confirmed and the invites have gone out I can really get into some serious wedding planning. I've already picked my invites for the speed of it, they just need the details then we're ready to roll

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bridetoB28 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

i am getting married in Cyprus this year, just over 5 months time. I didnt bother with a wedding company as i did SOOO much research and fiound there prices were all bumped up compared to you going direct. My sister also got married in another Area in Cyprus a few years back and also managed to do it herself, so thought id give it a go. All hotels have a wedding co-ordinator, so they will alwyas help you, so i figured why pay someone else aswell!? We decided to get married at the hotel itself, and have been emailed all the menus, areas we can have, drinks prices, all inclusive options for guests who are not staying at our hotel, cake ideas, table decoration choices... everything you can think of. well because we booked through Thomas cook, they also give you a wedding co-ordinator that works along side the hotel one, so i have two, so very pleased i dont have a third that i have to pay for,.. Its worth looking into.. and if you do use a third party company, do you research on prices and challenge them on it, they generally can be flexible with them if you can get cheaper without them, they should try and match!?

Have you managed to get anything booked? x

• S
    Beginner
    SarahJoanne ·
    • Hide content

I was going to order my flowers and cake on the internet and get them delivered to my accomodation but i have been looking on ebay today and they do beautiful foam calla lilly arrangements and all the button holes etc. (calla lily is my chosen flower!) im thinking it might be cheaper to order and bring them with us. you can order a sample so i will defo do this first to see what they are like!

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrsbeevers2b ·
    • Hide content

Hey

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with you're hotel and tour operators wedding co-ordinators, cos I'm going through First Choice so think that will be a similar set up. I need to wait for the 2013 prices to come out on the 26th then once its booked hopfully I will be in touch with my wedding co-ordinator over the menus and stuff soon. I'm sooo excited to get into the nitty gritty of planning.

I'm going to be taking some stuff over with me such as cake ribbon, table sprinkles and a few silk flowers to add into the bouquet, because its just a few things I'm going to be putting them in mine or other wedding guests cases. I know I will have some accessories which match the colour scheme.

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

O not long now until the 2013 holidays go on sale! Have you a certain time & date you want for your wedding? Give yourselves a few days to get a bit of a tan & used to the heat. We are getting married on our 5th day so hopefully I will have some clour by then! Keep us informed when you get it all booked ?

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Mrsbeevers2b & Kayels,

Hope you have managed to get your wedding holidays booked & your wedding days too?

• Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

Hiii Fawny,

i have my venues booked already as i went through a wedding planner,!! i have an appointment at 8 tonite in tompsons to book up the hotel ? So excited!!!!! i have money from my brother, sister, parents and grandparents to book them up to which is nice!!!.. cant wait! have you? xx xx

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kayels,

Thats great that they have given you the money so you can book them in, hope all has gone well. We get married this Sept so has been booked a long time, holiday was booked last May & wedding last Feb as we have used a proper independ wedding planner.

• Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

Booked it all last night!!!! Smiley smile staying in the Kamari Beach hotel for two weeks,! yay! cant wait, kinda makes it feel even more real now the holiday is booked! xx xx

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic news, glad you are all sorted. Time will fly I can tell you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics