Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Weddingjuly2023
Curious August 2023 Buckinghamshire

Wedding Anxiety

Weddingjuly2023, 2 of November of 2022 at 17:49 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 4
Hi everyone,

Really want to get advice about reducing wedding Anxiety and stress. I suffer from social anxiety and I'm getting married next summer. Only 8 months to go and the anxiety is already kicking in. I'm quite worried about my hen do and the wedding day. I'm worried about people making comments and I'm also worried about things going wrong that are out of my control.
I have 10+ people coming to my hen do which I'm quite anxious about, I originally only wanted it to be one night but the girls wanted to do a whole weekend, which is lovely really. One of them has already said to me it's quite far for her to travel, I did say that she could make her way with my sister. It made me upset because I don't want to hear people complaining about it when I don't even know where it is! I know my sister who is organising it has tried to be very accommodating.
Does anyone else have this sort of anxiety? I'm worried about someone saying something to upset me on my wedding day too. I'm worried about people falling out at the hen do. I don't want things to impact me or ruin my day, I know the day is about me getting married and that's what is important.
Any advice from other anxious brides would be very much appreciated! 💕

4 replies

Latest activity by Leanne, 8 of November of 2022 at 21:29
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Are you getting any help at dealing with anxiety generally? If not, I'd suggest getting some. Maybe look at CBT if you haven't already. There are a lot of different things you can do to minimise/help cope with anxiety, but like everything, it takes time to make these things a solid part of your life, so the sooner you start, the better. I did a free course with our local health board which was really helpful - one of the things they pointed out was that totally avoiding stress is a bad idea, because your 'stress threshold' just gets lower - the key is to gradually increase what you can cope with.

At the same time as learning how to deal with anxiety more effectively, you also need to make sure you aren't landing yourself with way more than you can reasonably cope with. So as far as the wedding goes, my number one tip would be don't get pushed into doing anything that is going to overload you. If you are someone who is not comfortable with being the centre of attention, 10 people feels like a LOT to have at your hen do - I was only considering 4 max!!! And it sounds as if you are maybe getting pushed into doing stuff that you don't really want (e.g. your comment about wanting a one-day hen do but then having a weekend because 'the girls wanted' it - it's YOUR hen do so it should be the length that YOU want!!!) What you actually need to be legally married is a tiny part of what most 'weddings' are - the rest is trimming, so don't be afraid to ditch anything that is going to cause you too much stress.

I totally get how tempting it is to give in to what other people demand - if you get anxious, then saying 'ok, we'll do that instead' is the easiest way out and saves increased anxiety in the short term. The problem is that it actually increases anxiety in the long term.

I would suggest sitting down with your OH and discussing what you feel comfortable with going forward. Agree that and then stick to it. If someone pushes you to change your mind, have a stock phrase that you use to deflect them. E.g. "OH and I plan our wedding together so we don't change anything without mutual agreement" or "Thanks for asking about that - I'll get back to you tomorrow" (and then you can always respond by text or email)

• Weddingjuly2023
    Curious August 2023 Buckinghamshire
    Weddingjuly2023 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much. Your words are so helpful. I've already had one round of CBT, however I need to keep up my homework! Thank you, one thing i did not get pushed into was having bridesmaids. The thought of it made me anxious, so I stuck with my guns, although it was not easy. Your words where you say, 'where you actually get married is the most important part, the rest is just the trimmings', is so true. It's so easy to get sucked up everything around it. Thank you so much for your kind words, so helpful ❤️
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely stick with the CBT - I found it so helpful. It nips that tendency to catastrophise in the bud, and also gives you some really practical tools for coping with difficult situations.

When we were planning our wedding, my anxiety made me feel I didn't want anyone there or any fuss - just the bare minimum to get legally married. But I also had this feeling that if I gave into that, I'd regret it later. So we worked out a wedding that would be special enough to look back on, but not pushing too far out of my comfort zone! We capped ours at 30 people, because going above 30 sent it from 'scary but manageable' to 'not sure I'll actually make it up the aisle'. And we then picked a reception venue that couldn't hold more than 30, so we had a cast-iron excuse not to invite anyone else!!!

I also didn't discuss wedding plans with anyone - the excuse was that 'we want to surprise everyone on the day', but it also meant that because people didn't know what we were doing, they couldn't start telling us that we needed to do it differently!

• Leanne
    Curious September 2022 Essex
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    Hey lovely! I was exactly the same - I worried about EVERYTHING to the point I was really sick!

People will tell you not to worry; it's your day - they aren't lying.
    Plan as much as you can (spreadsheets are your best mate!), do things that make you relax, ask all the questions you need to (suppliers, coordinator, family), be open with your friends and family about your wishes and most importantly - remind yourself it's *your* day and to enjoy it; it is going to happen once and everything pales into insignificance on the day.
    You can't make everyone happy, that's just life. But those who matter will be there and will be happily enjoying themselves as they're there to support you and celebrate *your* happiness.
    If it's any comfort to you, I suffer dreadfully with anxiety and on the day I was so caught up in the fun, looking at our guests smiling, seeing my partner, I didn't even think twice about anything other than how happy I was. Good luck to you, you can do this! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics