Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsRtoH
Savvy October 2022 Merseyside

wedding babysitter?

MrsRtoH, 26 July, 2012 at 13:14 Posted on Planning 0 12

Has anyone done this or heard of this? hiring someone to come to the reception to take the kids and sit with them when they go to bed?

Cheers

12 replies

Latest activity by Caraboo, 27 July, 2012 at 14:27
  • mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

I was considering doing this and having them during the day so the parents didn't have to worry. But to be honest, once i've spoken to all the parents (we have 18 on the guest list at our wedding) they all pretty much said they'd rather them not be invited !

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

The children that is! !lol

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I read about that somewhere recently. If I had a lot of young children coming and was having the reception in a stately home/hotel then I would probably offer the service to people and see if it was worth it. It might be a bit awkward if you have a lot of kids cos they obv wouldn't all be in the same room, so might need a few sitters or parents would have to move the kids when drunk. My family has always been happy letting kids just fall asleep on chairs, lol x

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, it doesn't work for most. Kids are clingy and want their parents, especially when they're not at home so it's likely their parents will end up spending most of the evening trying to pacify their children anyway.

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remember going to loads of family functions when I was little, where my mum would change me into PJ's and push two chairs together for me to lie on should I want to go to sleep!

• J
    Beginner September 2012
    Jo33 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a nanny and you can go to agencies who will/may be able to supply you a nanny/nannies for your big day, whether this be for daytime, evening or both. There will a fee to pay though as well.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

There's one on our hotel's recommended supplier list. I don't think any of the children attending ours will actually go to bed, there is one flower girl who is getting picked up to go home and the rest will probably stay up!

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

My sister is hiring someone, her little boy has special needs (too intricate to go in to on here) so he needs someone he knows and trusts to help him have a nice day, he doesn't like lots of strangers so she'll be around all day incase it gets too much for him.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

We had a creche from 17:00 to 20:30. We asked all parents if they wanted their kids in the creche (we footed the bill) and they were all like "hell yes!!!" 7 kids in total got whisked away with their desserts, just before our wedding speeches, whilst the adults let their hair down for a few hours and the kids got reunited with their parents just after our first dance - the creche was on site, just across the courtyard. The creche was quite expensive but it was worth every penny and a big thumbs up from all involved - they sent questionnaires to parents before our wedding day and at the end of the night, they gave each parent a report i.e. what the kids ate / drunk / if they slept etc.

• MrsRtoH
    Savvy October 2022 Merseyside
    MrsRtoH ·
    • Hide content

All I know is that my two future step children get quite grouchy and clingy when they're up past 9.

But I doubt they would just go to sleep on a couple of chairs....

Maybe... Am I worrying over something silly?

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If they are tired enough I expect they would, my daughter hates to miss out but has been know to sleep on a couple of chairs put together with a few coats thrown over her! Also if they get clingy like others have said the chances of them going to a stranger is very small so you would end up with them anyway, could you not get there mum to pick them up later on in the night, we done this when my future step sons mum got married a few years ago, as he was only 4 at the time so wouldnt have lasted much longer, now they will both party till they drop!

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

This is something we're wondering about. Not so much for anyone else's kids but for ours! The youngest will be 2.5yrs and the eldest 4.5yrs. Our normal babysitters are all coming to the wedding as guests so obv won't be able to watch the kids. I don't much fancy having them in our bedroom on the first night ?

We have wondered about getting an overnight nanny, but not overly keen on the idea. I am only happy leaving them with family or a very close friend at the moment but they will be that bit older by the day.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that what happens when you put them to bed with a bottle of brandy? ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics