Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

Wedding Band Changed Singer - Can I Invalidate the Contract?

MAG2FMC, 29 of May of 2012 at 12:02 Posted on Planning 0 12

Right, so I just learned that our wedding band permanently replaced its singer. The new singer is 'ok' (and by that I mean fine but nothing special) but he sounds completely different from the former singer! We really loved the former singer's voice and this is why we hired the band. Our booking contract states that 'on occasion' substitute musicians might have to be used, but I took this to mean if a member of the band had an emergency! How would you feel if your band switched out singers?

12 replies

Latest activity by Sparkles82, 10 of July of 2012 at 21:10
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Mine did. I wasn't bothered in the slightest as they sent an email explaining the change and attached samples of the new singer. He was really good.

As I mentioned on the evening entertainment thread, my band were amazing so it worked out for the best.

Not sure where you stand if you don't like the new guy very much though.

• M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

As I wrote, the new guy is ok. He's not offensive in any way. But, had he been the singer at the time we booked the band we would have chosen a different band.

• weemee
    Beginner July 2012
    weemee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe you should ring them up and explain this to them. You never know, the original singer might be in a new band who are taking bookings. I played in a band and we had loads and loads of gigs lined up but then I was in an accident and had to leave permanently due to not being able to bear weight (guitar) on my shoulders anymore. A few of the places who'd booked us cancelled as they knew the setlist and style would be different etc. It's perfectly reasonable (and normal) as long as you let them know asap and give a reason they can't really argue.

x

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You took that correctly.

'on occasion' is temporary. On occasion I eat a Mars Bar. It's not a regular thing.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

I'd also argue that there is a very big difference between 'singer' and 'musician'.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This !

IMO If they have made a permanent change then they can't provide you what they have sold you.

• weemee
    Beginner July 2012
    weemee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

what does this mean?

• PurpleStar
    Rockstar May 2022
    PurpleStar ·
    • Hide content

I think they mean that if you were to replace a musician they would still be playing the same music and sound the same. Whereas by replacing a singer you are guaranteed that the band will sound different because the voice is different

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, based on your contract you've got a good arguement for a full refund.

The contract covers musicians not the singer and it doesn't relate to permanent changes only temporary ones.

I'd refund someone on request if I made such changes.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Exactly what I meant Purple Star - was on my way to work and didn't have time to write a full reply.

• martyncroston
    martyncroston ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. If the contract clearly states they can substitute musicians says 'on occasions' then this doesn't apply in this case

If you don't want the hassle of finding a new band and the new singer sounds ok, then you could just stick with them. However, i would do either of the following to make sure you know what you're getting

1) Watch a live video of them performing (don't judge the new vocals on simple MP3's on their site, unless you can hear autotune and other editing techniques)

2) See them live

Alternatively, find a new band and get that refund!

• mirandag
    mirandag ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes bands use deps if members are ill at the last minute but a new singer permanently is a different matter. Contact them and explain your situation and that you are not happy!

Smiley smile

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

Before you go cancelling though, make sure you can get another band.... if the new singer is "OK" and not offensive or utter tripe, you dont want to end up without a band when you have one that'll do the job adequately already booked.

Maybe you could haggle some kind of discount instead?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics