Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

andrew lenihan

Wedding Band - Real or Sham?

andrew lenihan, 11 July, 2010 at 16:10 Posted on Planning 0 19

Having filmed over 100 Weddings in last couple of years it is great to see some amazing live bands that make or break the night time reception. The reason for the post is recently I have come across a live band that appeared to be miming along to backing tracks. Out of the 5 piece band (vox, guitar, bass, keys & drums) only the singer appeared to be playing live. The rest were just playing along and nobody even noticed. As I filmed until the last dance I have plenty of footage that confirms that backing musicians are miming. ie- drummer missing drum fills, guitarist babdly miming to solos, bass player missing bass fills. It did look polished and sounded great. You'd need a sharp eye and ear to spot that they were miming, so they are obviously well rehearsed at what they were doing.

So I thought I'd bring it to anyone that is looking to book a band to make sure you are getting genuine value for money.

The night was so good that I didn't inform the bride and groom of the sham band as everyone was oblivious to the fact.

But I just think paying for 4 guys to mime all night is a total sham.

What do you think?

19 replies

Latest activity by andrew lenihan, 4 November, 2010 at 13:12
  • cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I'd be dissapointed. i'm glad you didn't say anything to the bride/groom though, but if your paying for a band then they should be live no excuses!

• AmyLovesPaul
    Beginner May 2011
    AmyLovesPaul ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree!

If you wanted a band that mimed the whole song, you'd be better off with a DJ and have family members miming/pretending to play air guitar!

i cant believe they get away with it!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Holy schmoly, thats not on at all. If I had witnessed that I'd perhaps drop them a wee line (the band) and make some enquiries, find out how they can live with themselves doing that.... I bet they want over a grand in fees too........ seems so unfair.

Our band were a 3 piece and they clearly had some backing tracks to help them along as they had no drummer, just keyboard, guitar and sax....but I only paid 800 bucks and the guests loved them!

• andrew lenihan
    andrew lenihan ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, if there is no drummer etc and there are drums as backings that is fair enough as nobody is trying to fool anyone as it is obviously drum backing , but when there is a drummer sitting there miming along, just isn't right. I have looked at their web site now and they appear to be a very popular Wedding Band.

I wont name them in case the couple whos Wedding I filmed find out and it leaves a bad vibe that they were shammed.

This post is just a warning to let people know that there are some fly guys out there. Ask them band if they play live or use backing tracks. Why pay for 5 musicians when 4 are miming?

It did take me aback when I was watching them and couldn't believe the brass neck that they must have.

I do recall now that the band didn't even do sound check (ie- run through a sound test of each instrument.), no wonder as there instruments weren't even on. Smiley smile

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

Well, that's a bit of a shocker. I wish you'd name and shame though - I see your reasons for not doing so, but I'd love to know for one.

Did they know in advance that you were to film all the way through to the last dance? Perhaps they thought they might get away with it and get a video out of it from you?

I'd rest assured that MOST bands won't do this. This is a first for me in about 12 years of having been in this game. I know we don't mime - we get a real kick out of playing and to be honest, it'd be boring - what would be the point!?!?

Some Duos or soloists might use backing tracks, but there's no excuse for a proper 4 or 5 + piece to do so.

I say name and shame.

Tony

RS

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

If I was that bride I would want to know so that I could claim back some of the money for being sold a false product!!!

If they were being paid to play live then that is really cheeky!!!

• andrew lenihan
    andrew lenihan ·
    • Hide content

It is annoying to say the least. I was in two minds how to handle it ie- should I tell the bride and groom? or just keep my mouth shut as the night was going so well. In th end I thought best just to keep quiet about it, so it didn't risk upsetting anyone.

I couldn't let it lie so posting this is a way just to let people know and check out your band to make sure they are what they say they are. A Wedding is expensive enough without out having to pay 100's of pounds for a group of mime artists.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

thats awful! I would be raging if that happened! We are having a friend who does DJ so we're ok!!

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

Can I just point out, Alicer, that all 4 of your posts appear to be touting Mojo Rising...uncool and you will be lambasted for it. The way you gain respect for your band on this board is to advertise (i.e. pay money), become a HIB and a useful member of the community by answering brides' questions.

Please do it the proper way like the rest of us.

Tony

RS

• A
    Atlantic Soul Showband ·
    • Hide content

My opinion is that this is totally unacceptable. Smaller bands like 2pc or 3pc (without live drummer or bass player) will be using backing tracks, but your band should let you know this when you enquire and when you book, your contract will tell you exactly what you are getting.

It's people like this (and I deliberately stopped myself from using the word "musicians") who give the genuine wedding bands who work hard a bad name. They should be named and shamed.

We here at Atlantic Soul Showband spell it out exactly what you get whatever size of band you book. It's on our website and it's in our publicity. It's also on the contract that you sign when you book. 2pc, 3pc and sometimes 4pc use some backing tracks, but the 5pc, 6pc and 7pc and totally 100% live.

These guys are just in it to make money. And that's all it is easy money as there's no input whatsoever - no rehearsal or investment of any kind, in time or resources. Any reputable wedding band in Scotland will spent a lot of time in the rehearsal studios preparing for the vast array of different syles of music and vast repertoire that is expected of them to be played at weddings. To be able to play across many genres, you have to be, at least, good and, at best, a showstopper. And they will have invested money too in equipment, insurance, transport, costumes, PAT testing and much more.

Fly-by-nights like this will be caught out - like these guys - and they'll end up more often than not (rightly) with no work as their bad reputation follows them around.

My advice to any potential bookers out there is check check check the credentials of your wedding band, look at the testimonials, look at their live footage, listen to their live audio and go and see them live if you can. When you are there, listen to what you are hearing. If there's a 4pc band on stage consisting of drums, bass, guitar and a singer and you start hearing strings or brass sounds then they're probably using backing tracks (not always the case, but probably). And if there's 1 female singer in the band and you hear backing vocals with a female singer's voice, then that's probably backing tracks too. Little things to watch out for.

Choose any band with a good track record, that's not just popped up out of nowhere, with a good reputation. If you do that, you won't go far wrong.

Manager, Atlantic Soul Showband

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Ouch!

• S
    Beginner
    saz.hepburn ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

i know you're not keen on revealing who it was but I notice you're based in Glasgow - it's not the band seattle by any chance? my bridesmaid has them booked for her wedding n she is shelling out a fair bit for them!

ta

xox

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

How the heck does a drummer mime without actually hitting the skins and being heard above the track unless he's perfectly in time? Now thats clever! (I'm not saying he wasn't miming, but I'm amazed he got away with it!!)

• andrew lenihan
    andrew lenihan ·
    • Hide content

The drummer was using an electric kit, hence why you could hear the skins etc, so was easy to hide the fact. But as I was close to the drummer while filming I could hear him hitting the pads, and definately not in time. I also used to play bass professionally and it was clear the bassist wasn't playing what I was hearing. Thankfully this has been the only band I have come across doing such a thing & I have filmed nearly 200 Weddings over the years.

So it is a rarety, but it is good to let people know these things do happen.

• andrew lenihan
    andrew lenihan ·
    • Hide content

Correction- The drummer was using an electric drum kit hence why you could not hear the skins.

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Please tell me it's not Seattle - that's who I've booked for my wedding (seriously worried now ☹️)

• M
    Beginner January 2011
    mkd012 ·
    • Hide content

Our band were a 3 piece and they clearly had some backing tracks to help them along as they had no drummer, just keyboard, guitar and sax

Wedding gifts

• andrew lenihan
    andrew lenihan ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kirstycat,

The band I was referring to isn't Seattle.

I haven't come across Seattle at any of my past Weddings so unable to comment on them.

To put your mind at rest Iout of 200+ Weddings I have filmed this was the only band I have seen miming as a full 5 piece band, with only the singer singing live.

In response to mkd012 a 3 piece or less using drums etc as backing tracks in common practise and isn't the issue. The issue was the fact there was 4 band members, all being paid to be there, just to mime along to a backing track, while only the singer was live. So why pay 100s possibly upto 1000+ for a glorified karaoke set.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics