Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anna
Beginner May 2024 Co Antrim

Wedding blessing ettiequte?

Anna, 6 of March of 2021 at 16:03 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi! Newbie here. Smiley smile

My fiancé and I have decided to elope! Long story short, both of our families aren't very nice, and so we didn't feel like paying out thousands for them to inevitably ruin what is meant to be our day. Although, there are people like friends and my grandparents that we would love to have celebrated with us. We don't want 2 weddings though, so there will be no "wedding" abroad, just us saying vows etc (but I still want a dress, lol!). My nanna suggested having our marriage blessed when we return from getting married, which we love the sound of! It is important to us to have our marriage blessed by God anyway, so we felt an intimate wedding blessing ceremony would solve this, and allow close family/friends to be involved. We would then like to have a reception to celebrate with friends and wider family.

I have a lot of questions about the "rules" of a wedding blessing. Do I rewear my wedding dress? (This would be great because I'd feel like I got my money's worth, lol). I assume there's no bridal party (I wouldn't particularly want one either). Do you hire a photographer? Videographer? Are there certain traditions that we should still do at the reception and things we can leave out? Thanks for reading this and I hope you all are keeping safe!! xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 16:01
  • Leonie
    Savvy June 2022 Kent
    Leonie ·
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure on wedding blessing etiquette, however I strongly feel you can do whatever you would prefer to do. We are having a fairly small ceremony with just direct family and a few close friends, then a wedding breakfast which will be starter and main no dessert as we would like a sweet table and donought wall instead. We have broken a fair few traditional rules such as asking the bridal party to pay for their own outfits, having an open bar during the meal instead of table wines...

To get to the point I just think you should do what you and your partner want to do and don't worry about other people's opinions as its your special day x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think you can do more or less anything you like at a blessing (subject to any rules the venue/celebrant you use may have) as long as it is clear it is a blessing, not a wedding. I had a friend who had to bring her wedding date forward so a terminally ill family member could be present so what should have been their wedding became their wedding blessing, and the officiant said things like 'we are gathered to bless the marriage of' and 'do you wish to reconfirm the marriage vows you made on...' Apparently, it is important not to give the impression that a 'wedding blessing' is an actual wedding.

• Kay
    Curious June 2021 Bristol
    Kay ·
    • Hide content

The beauty of a blessing is that there are no rules! ?

• Anna
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They sound like great changes/additions! Thank you so much for your response Leonie! It's early days yet, but less stressful knowing I don't really have rules to follow! I hope you and your partner have a wonderful day x

• Anna
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this, definitely eases the stress of having to do the "right" thing! That was a lovely thing for your friend to have done. It's a wonder wedding blessings aren't more heard of! Thank you again! x

• Anna
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This definitely eases a lot of stress that I had - thank you! x

• Leonie
    Savvy June 2022 Kent
    Leonie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're welcome? Yes I found once I had accepted the fact it is our wedding and we can do whatever we like (don't have to follow rules etc) I am now finding it far less stressful! We are just doing what we will enjoy most for the day x
  • L
    Beginner June 2021 Gloucestershire
    LuxuriousGreen1994 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above. There are no 'rules' as such, and you and your partner should definitely do whats best for you. In the long run you will enjoy it more if you aren't worrying about anyone else.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics