Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2020

Wedding blessing help

LuxuriousPurpleConfetti60724, 3 of February of 2020 at 17:11 Posted on Planning 0 1

Hi!

My partner and I are getting legally married later this year and following with a blessing/traditional wedding day.

My question is how similar is a blessing in a CofE church compared to a normal legal wedding.

wedding? We would like it to be as traditional as possible with exchanging rings, vows, bring given away etc so that guests wouldn’t know that it’s not a legal wedding.

Any advice or experience of blessings would be helpful. Thanks!

1 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 18 of February of 2020 at 10:13
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You can have a blessing done 'like' a wedding, with vows & rings etc, but legally it HAS to be made clear that it is a blessing and not the wedding itself, so your guests will definitely know it's not the 'real thing'.

One of my friends did this - they had planned their wedding and then a close relative was taken seriously ill and was desperate to live long enough to see them marry but obviously wasnt' going to live until their wedding date. So they had a hospital bedside wedding and what should have been their wedding became their wedding blessing. 'Wedding blessing of' was on the order of service and the minister several times mentioned that it was the blessing of the marriage that had taken place on... The vows were done as 'we renew the vows we made...' It looked just like a normal wedding apart from that, and the fact that there was no signing of the register but legally, the minister had to make sure that we all knew we were not witnessing a wedding.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If you have not been to many weddings it could appear very similar, you can exchange rings but it will be without the exact same vows etc but instead it can be similar words. You can also "be given away. And there is no registrar to sign.

But always check with your vicar on their thoughts before making plans as each one will do things differently.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics