Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner April 2013

Wedding booked the week before mine

Noonetoldmeaboutit, 4 of February of 2012 at 19:05 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi, I'm new to this but just looking for some opinions, my friend has just booked her wedding the week before mine, do you think I'm in the wrong to be a bit bothered about this? Thanks in advance!

11 replies

Latest activity by Adonia, 13 of September of 2024 at 20:45
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Personally if she is a close friend and knew about your wedding then yes I think it's normally to feel pretty peeved about this. If she's getting married 1 week before you then presumably she'll be on honeymoon for yours.. also depending on locations you may not be able to attend hers if it's really far away as you'll be busy with your own final preperations.

However if it's a more distant friend who wasn't invited to yours anyway then why shouldn't she. Or if she didn't know your date.

• K
    Beginner February 2014
    kyla25 ·
    • Hide content

Mmmmmm gota admit, Id be kinda niffed off!! My friend is getting wed this june and we booked ours for jan 2014 but not told her cuz dont wana steal her thunder, week b4??!! yeh i wudnt be happy :/ xxxx

• Vickydrip
    Beginner July 2012
    Vickydrip ·
    • Hide content

We decided to get married, and then about a year later my friends at work decided to book their wedding, and they asked if it was ok for them to book the week after ours. I said I didn' mind at all, and they said that they had looked at the week after our ebecause they didn't want to hurt my feelings by booking their wedding before ours, especially as we had got their first.

Antoher of my friends (who only got engaged last year, I've been engaged since Sept 2009) also asked if I would mind if they got married the week before us, due to church and venue availability. I said I didn't and that it was lovely of them to ask.

I really appreciated them asking, as it made me feel like they didn't want to offend me or take away from my big day. Howver, I think that if I had minded about either, there wasn't much they could have done to change it.

:-)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My 'friend' booked hers ONE DAY BEFORE MINE. 'Miffed' doesn't begin to cover it. We got engaged about 10 months before her and sent our save the dates out a few months after our engagement so its not like she didn't know waaaaay in advance. She has always been the ultra competitive type so I do feel it was quite deliberate. She avoided me for a few weeks after I found out via her fb to someone else, then she finally apologised and said she hoped I didn't mind too much.

So to me a week before doesn't sound too bad really! It depends how much you want her there at yours and if they will be on honeymoon - that would be a shame. Have you discussed it with her?

• Vickydrip
    Beginner July 2012
    Vickydrip ·
    • Hide content

Pandora that was really annoy me to!!!

• Macca87
    Beginner August 2012
    Macca87 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

My own brother is getting married two weeks after me abroad. This has caused so much heartache and upset for me. They got engaged about 2 years before me and were supposed to be getting married 10/10/10 but his fiancee got pregnant and baby was due at this time so they put the wedding back a year to 11/11/11 and then in late 2010 they put it back again to 12/12/12 (do you see a pattern here!)

Anyway as I am a practicing Catholic I haven't lived with my boyfriend so we wanted a quicker wedding and to move in topgether after the wedding. (although it will be 18 months through having to save etc.) So we searched venues and found one to book in August this year (I'm a teacher so wanted a summer wedding so I could have time off before and after the wedding) This was the main reason for having the wedding in August.

All hell was let loose after this! After hearing of my wedding date my brother decided he wanted theirs 1st september this year and said they had booked it and paid fr that date and we should move ours to jan the following year. Even my parents agreed! My point was my life is on hold till marriage because we decided not to move in together or start trying for kids until after we were married. Stuck to my guns carried on with my planning (with no help from my family now). Months later found out there wedding had not been paid for and that my dad then put the deposit down for them.

My parents and my godparents will be the only people who are at the same wedding (I was initially not invited, they sent me an invitation a few months after every1 else got theirs but as it is abroad I cant go because its in term time!) They're not even similar weddings mine is a church and hotel reception, his is a quick ceremony in Vegas.

If you can get over it and try to move forward I would try do that as its likely you'll just get yourself worked up over it and end up spoiling your own engagement and planning. I know its so hard to move past it but if you can try. I'm not mad my brother is getting married just after me (or if it was before for that matter as our wedding are totally different) It was the fact I wasn't invited and they purposely put it in term time so that I cant go. Sad but true!

Just talk to her ......

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

My own brother has booked his wedding for two weeks before mine! luckily we were able to push ours back by a week or they would have been getting back from honeymoon the morning of mine, so theirs is now 3 weeks before. Mine was booked first and we were engaged first. They at one point contemplated having my venue till I spat my dummy out big time. I guess to some it is a big deal, I am a self-confessed spoilt brat and drama queen over my wedding and it does annoy/worry me that the focus will be on my brothers wedding and that it will only be natural for people to make comparisions between the two. However I also know my wedding will be best to me because it is mine and I will be marrying the person I love, surrounded by the people I love and that should be all that matters.

• Macca87
    Beginner August 2012
    Macca87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're totally right here it should just be about marrying the person who means the most to you!!!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You poor thing! This is awful!

Completely different to yours Macca, but OP...

My v good friend and his fiancee booked their wedding for the week after ours and asked us if it was ok. I had a little flutter, but to be honest, what can I say? It would be really unfair for me to expect them not to go ahead and book their wedding because it was 7 days after mine...although I wish they had chosen another month deep down, my rational thoughts say "Let it go and be happy for them".

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I've booked mine for 1 week after a friend, to be honest when I was booking my wedding I didnt even think about her wedding and It doesnt bother me at all. I'm not sure why it should bother anyone; a wedding is specific to each couple and the main thing is the ceremony.

Another friend has now booked her wedding for 9 days after me and again I'm just pleased she is getting married and is happy. We have postponed our honeymoon so we can attend her wedding.

• Adonia
    Beginner September 2023 North Yorkshire
    Adonia ·
    • Hide content
    Hi

Went have at wedding with my boyfriend called darius dobre

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics