Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

JessieRose
Beginner August 2015

Wedding breakfast before photos...?

JessieRose, 20 of January of 2014 at 11:40 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi brides, new girl here needing a bit of advice, opinions and possibly reassurance, we got engaged in 2012 and have just started planning our wedding for 8th August 2015 (my mum and dad's wedding anniversary and H2B mum and dad's wedding anniversary as well). Everything has gone right up to now we'd found our perfect venure that fitted in our budget booked the registrar this morning, and I've gone to confirm with the venue and they've informed me that if we got married at 2pm like we'd planned they'd have to decline our booking as another wedding is due to have a wedding breakfast around the same time as what ours would be. Obviously I was gutted so I've suggested we get married, have the wedding breakfast straight away and then have photos afterwards, which they've said iwould be fine but it'd have to stick to the timing.

Has anyone else done this and do you think any guests will have any problems with it? We're thinking with it being August we should have plenty of time to get photos outside while it's still light and they'd be starting at about 4.30. I think I might be getting a bit stressed that it's just different to any other weddings I've been to.

Thanks for any advice you've got.

Jess

21 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 21 of January of 2014 at 17:14
  • W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I dont think your guests will have a problem with it. However, & I don't want to freak you out, but i'd be worried about the venue as it sounds like they're cramming the weddings in & I would be worried that you wont get the attention & detail as you & every wedding deserves.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

As a photographer I wouldn't be overly concerned over the light in August at 4.30pm. Arguably it'd be better than 2pm when the sun is more likely to be blasting away and making people squint.

An experienced photographer will be used to taking photos in the pitch black dark for December weddings so as long as you have a good photographer I can't see this being an issue at all.

Can't comment if your guests will have problems with it though although I can't see why they would.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

One thing to consider is that people relax during the food, ties come off, hats etc etc....Shots after this are ok, although do allow for people not being as neat and tidy as they would be directly after the ceremony. In particular, young bms and pages just simply get less tidy as time goes on...........Additionally people can go awol, or go to check in to their rooms/go to room to "freshen up".......so do keep a reign on this if you opt for the pix afterwards or you may have some absentees......

hth

Peter

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Peter is spot on with his observations, also makeup will need touching up, the flowers will be way past their best -even if you keep them in water during the meal they still will of been bashed around by then.

If you are having any formal group photos then the guests will moan at the best of times let alone after eating. I'm not sure the timings with the venue will work and what happens if your photos need to be taken indoors while the other wedding are eating. The venue has been a little naughty in not telling you from the outset that they have another wedding on the day.

• F
    fodenphotography ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I think it's do-able BUT as someone else said, guests will expect you to have group shots after the service. There is the danger that people can go AWOL for the groups if you decide to do them after the wedding breakfast- that said, as its an August wedding light won't be an issue, and you also have the advantage of the beautiful evening light for your portraits. Perhaps if you let all your guests know your intentions with timings on the invitations, they'll be fine with it. Also, have a chat with the members of your wedding party to see what they think about the idea- good luck!

Foden Photography- Wedding Photographers in Surrey

• JessieRose
    Beginner August 2015
    JessieRose ·
    • Hide content

Hi thanks for all your replies, they're definitely things we need to think about. The other wedding will be in a different part of the hotel so we shouldn't be in the same part at the same time. Tbh we asked the venue whether there'd be any other weddings and they said there could be but not that there already was, so we've been thinking it'll be easy and if anyone else books they'd have to fit round us, bit annoyed they didn't tell us from the start.

We're thinking of having silk flowers with it being summer I didn't want to be attracting wasps and flies or having them looking all wilted.

i think the main party would be alright with it they seem to be so far anyway, I'm just a bit worried about it being an even longer day for our grandparents.

thanks again

jess

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

Hello. Congratulations!! Im getting married 9th august 2015!! Where r u getting married? The venue we have chosen holds two weddings on the same day. One in the manor house and one in the stable house. But they have told us that they insist on two hours between the weddings so we wont clash when havin photos done and also as we dont even notice theother bridal party. We have chosen a 3pm wedding as we only have 50 guests in the day, meaning the other wedding wont be able to start later than 1pm... if anyone else books the date. Would u be able to do a different time so its not so rushed for u and u can do it in the order u feel more comfortable with?xĺ

• JessieRose
    Beginner August 2015
    JessieRose ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile at the Holiday Inn in Barnsley it used to be called the Brooklands and is stunning inside. We're only having 40 day guests. The other times we could do are 11am which h2b thinks is too early and 4pm which I think is too late lol. My mum thinks it'll run okay cause people won't be moaning they're hungry and won't be as hot for the photos but I think she's just trying to reassure me bless her xx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

One other thing to consider and check with the venue, is accessibility to the venue grounds. Some venues coral the wedding parties in to specific parts of the venue and grounds. This means that some pretty locations for the photography "may" not be available to you and your wedding party, whereas they would be if there was only one wedding. I would recommend that you check this out so that you are not disappointed on the day.....

Peter

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I've shot weddings where the ceremony started after 4:30, so I wouldn't stress about it!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else. Our venue and Tog also told us to be aware that some times things over run either with service or transport (are you getting married at hotel)

I think you need to add in extra time for things running late too!

Hope you find a wway!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

My first concern would be the fact that you're being rushed through your wedding breakfast? You don't want to be looking at your watch thinking "oh god we've only got half an hour left and haven't had dessert yet" ... you also don't want to have staff hanging around tables trying to clear them in time for the next wedding? The venue are being greedy doing it this way - or perhaps this is how they keep costs down?

Don't panic, you have lots of time. Perhaps keep half an eye open for other venues who will give your wedding the undivided devotion it needs?

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

To be honest alarm bells would be ringing here! Are both weddings in the same place? If they carnt cater for 2 weddings at a time why are they accepting 2 wedding bookings?

Honest opinion I would not be booking with this venue, i just wouldnt feel comfortable.

Also as others said people relax over dinner and get abit ''sloppy'' (and maybe tipsy). Your photos may not be as good as they would be if you had them before

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

If there isnt already another booking why carnt you have your wedding breakfast at the time you want? Have I misunderstood this?

• JessieRose
    Beginner August 2015
    JessieRose ·
    • Hide content

Hi, when we went to look round last week we asked if there would be any other weddings and they said there could be, then when I rang to confirm yesterday they said that there was another wedding booked, that we're just having the wedding breakfast and reception there, not the churspch. That's why they can't do both wedding breakfasts at the same time, sorry of i was confusing Smiley smile

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The alarm bells are getting louder, it is quite possible they booked another in a week on your day, or they did not want to put you off at an early stage by saying there was one already booked, and didnt let you know right up untill the moment they had to tell you.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit confused Smiley smile

What time are you getting married at the church and what time are the venue suggesting for your wedding breakfast?

What time is the other wedding and what time is their wedding breakfast?

Are both wedding breakfasts in the same room? Where are the evening receptions?

I've been to Brooklands loads of times (although not for a wedding) so can see how they keep the functions separate but I would be a bit concerned about being rushed. Where will your photos be?

• JessieRose
    Beginner August 2015
    JessieRose ·
    • Hide content

We'd be getting married at 2 at the hotel and then the wedding breakfast would be 2.30

the others are getting married at church and arrive at the hotel for 3 for drinks and having theirs at 4.

and no our wedding breakfast and evening reception would be in one room and theirs in a different room.

for pictures we'd get exclusive use of secret garden for an hour and half

hope this makes a bit more sense Smiley smile

• JessieRose
    Beginner August 2015
    JessieRose ·
    • Hide content

Yeah it's starting to seem that way isn't it, think we'll leave it until the weekend to make a final decision

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like the other wedding is getting the exclusive use of the secret garden between 2.30 and 4.00

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics