Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2015

Wedding breakfast buffet - queue solution?

celticcurl, 18 of November of 2013 at 14:03 Posted on Planning 1 8

Hi, I'm planning on having a buffet for our wedding breakfast. Main reasons are because I strongly object to paying £50+ per head for a meal that would cost £12.95 if it wasn't a wedding and because we would rather spend the cash on supplying all the booze for our guests - we're Scottish and Irish, this will definitely be a popular move with our guests. I am however a fan of fine dining and I like things 'just so'. We will still be having table plans, proper linen, crockery and cutlery.

Our buffet will be platters of cooked meats, veggie alternatives, and salads, pastas etc. Because we plan to get married late in the day - this will be the only meal, all our guests will attend the whole event, there will be no separate evening guests. We will put cheese and biscuit platters on each table around 9pm ish for those who are peckish.

The dining tables will each have baskets of nice breads, a butter dish, and salt, pepper and dressings to reduce the traffic jam at the buffet table.

So I'm happy with all these plans but don't want to have finished my meal while some guests are still queuing at the buffet table. My solution is to have a number of identical buffet tables around the room - each one to serve 3 or 4 tables of guests. Hopefully this way we can all eat at the same time.

Has anyone ever seen this done and if so did it work well?

All feedback welcome - even from those who hate buffets for wedding breakfasts ?

8 replies

Latest activity by celticcurl, 19 of November of 2013 at 10:21
  • N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a good plan, but you will need to factor in if any extra staff will be needed to have multiple buffet tables - a recent wedding that we went to had staff serving the meats etc.

Also, make sure that whoever is running the buffet knows what they are doing and what the bride and groom are requesting. We have been to a few weddings where the bride and groom have said that children can go first, but they were sent away again because the bride and groom hadn't been served. You may find that even if you are wanting everyone to go up at the same time as you, you will need to communicate this well to the caterers (hope that makes some vague sense!)

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Hi thanks for the feedback.

Should have said - the caterers are my dads cousin! He's a professional chef and regularly caters weddings.

Will have to think about letting kids go first but I think i'll just let them queue with their parents - there will be quite a lot of them. I will probably have a smaller buffet table just for the top table - I'm greedy I don't like waiting for food?

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

I have been to 2 weddings with buffet serving.

One had a room dedicated for it and worked quite well, one table for salads and sides, and one table for mains. It went well, and as the wedding was a small one, it didn't take too long.

For another wedding (a bit bigger) they only had one buffet and they did a thing where each table was called to serve themselves. Personally, I don't think it worked. The canapes were served much earlier (and not plenty) and we were starving. Seeing everyone getting up and passing us to the buffet (we were the closest table to it) was torture and when the time came to self serve, the potatoes and veggies were gone, we had to start before they could bring the top ups.

Your idea of having 3-4 buffets around the room is by far the best one, and I don't know why more people don't do it Smiley smile

Cheerio!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Another idea is to serve the food on smaller platters and put one on each table for people to help themselves.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

You've had some good suggestions but particularly Foo's about putting serving platters on each table.

I went to a buffet wedding on Saturday - 170 people with not enough seats for all! However, it worked quite well as the hosts told everyone buffet food being replenished all night so nobody tended to rush and you never got a queue of more than say 5 people.

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't seen it done, but it sounds like a brilliant solution. Went to a wedding of 150 people with a buffet, and it took so long to send everyone up for their food they ran so late. Our table was actually moved out if the way for the DJ while we were eating! Anyway, a great idea we saw at a wedding last year was as someone else said, was to put platters on each table. It was a lovely way to meet people on your table too!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

You've had some good suggestions but particularly Foo's about putting serving platters on each table.

I went to a buffet wedding on Saturday - 170 people with not enough seats for all! However, it worked quite well as the hosts told everyone buffet food being replenished all night so nobody tended to rush and you never got a queue of more than say 5 people.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

We are having a buffet and will probably send each table up at a time. I know this can take a while but I'm going to mention to the caterers that we want it to be as speedy as possible and hopefully having a few guys serving so it'll go quicker. My friend did this at her wedding and all the tables got served pretty quickly.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys - I'm feeling reassured.

sorry for not quoting people - haven't worked out how to do it yet. but I hope I've managed to respond to everyone below.

Would love to put the dishes on each table but there is going to be a massive variety so not enough space. We are as I mentioned putting cheese platters on each table later on.

I don't think we'll be having servers - sometimes this makes things slower in my experience. We will be making sure all dishes are clearly labelled. I went to a conference where each table was called individually at lunch, the food was cold by the time I got there! Although this didn't really matter as all the vegetarian food had gone so I couldn't eat it anyway! I may do a separate veggie table as one of my frustrations is that meat eaters always seem to think 'ooh that looks nice' and take the veggie food aswell as the meat.?

We are having 150-200 guests so this would be a major problem if we only had one table.

There will definitely be enough seats for everyone because as I mentioned in my original post there will still be a seating plan.

I think we may just do one dessert table though - haven't thought this through yet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics