Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

EAC13
Beginner June 2013

Wedding Breakfast Choices - Chicken? Beef? Fish? Pork?

EAC13, 29 April, 2013 at 20:56 Posted on Planning 0 10

We get a choice of two starters, two mains (then a veggie option as a third) and two deserts. What do you think would cater for most for each course?

Starters - Pate? Soup? What kind of soup? Fruit? Salad?

Mains - Chicken? Roast beef? Salmon? Pork?

Desert - Cheesecake? Crème brulee? Chocolate profiterols? Chocolate mousse? Cheese and biscuits?

Any opinions?

10 replies

Latest activity by mandunc14, 30 April, 2013 at 20:54
  • Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we're pretty much having them all! we're having a barbecue so will have all the above mains with a bit of lamb thrown in for good measure!

• E
    Beginner July 2014
    exitedbridetobe ·
    • Hide content

That's a good selection!

I would go for...

strarter - soup (either or tomato, or veg) and pate

main - chicken and fish (then you have a meat, fish and veg option)

dessert - choc profiteroles and definitely cheese and biscuits Smiley smile

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

In my opinion, the three most boring starters I dread to see on a wedding menu are soup, pate and melon. The most boring main is chicken.

I do, however, appreciate that there are cost factors and you have to please a large amount of people, but if there's anythign more exciting on the menu I'd far prefer that as a guest!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Starter - Pate & Soup (maybe a carrott, veggie one)

Mains - Chicken and salmon

Desert - Cheesecake and Chcolate mousse

Off to the shops becuase im starving now ha.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

OH and I would also go by what we would prefer on our wedding day, rather than worry too much about mass catering crowd pleasers. If people have any allergies, religious restrictions etc they can let you know.

So, from the choices you've been given, we'd go with pâté and salad (mini Caesar salad, or a goats cheese and beetroot sort of thing. Or tomato and mozzarella. Loads of choices there)

Then beef and salmon. Food fussers can always go veggie if they don't like either.

Finally crème brulee (my favourite) and cheese and biccies (OH's favourite)

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

This has been a nightmare for us; my partner is allergic to casein and gluten, her family is Jewish so all piggy products are out (and my family love their bacon, let me tell you), and I'm an ex-vegetarian who's still very particular with her meats. Add in a mother who eats about 3 foods total, a heavy percentage of vegan guests thanks to hippy-leaning friends and the menu's had me in tears multiple times. So we've had to design two entirely separate menus; one for the omnivores, and one for the vegans and veggies. The vegan menu is also entirely wheat-free.

For our regular guests, the menu is:

Sweet potato and red pepper soup with artisan breads.

Roast sirloin of Scotch beef, roasted with caramelised shallots, chestnut mushrooms and Glenisla whisky sauce, served with market vegetables and potatoes

Winter fruit vacherin, served with coulis and fresh cream.

Tea, coffee and tablet.

The vegans (including my partner and I, since neither of us will eat beef) will be eating:

Baby spinach salad with roast butternut squash, candied walnuts and apple, drizzled with pumpkin oil and raspberry balsamic vinaigrette.

Spiced chickpea, potato and aubergine curry, served with rice and mango chutney

Sticky "toffee" pecan pudding with vegan cream.

Tea, coffee and montezuma vegan chocolate.

I can't wait. I always appreciate an interesting vegetarian course that isn't stuffed peppers or tomato-based pasta, and we've tried really hard to pick a menu that we'll enjoy eating.

• EAC13
    Beginner June 2013
    EAC13 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, really helped Smiley smile

Isn't it all the little details that really take the most time!

The wedding is in June so soup I wasn't so sure about. Saying that, I still love a bowl of soup in Summer!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar very interesting discussion at the weekend. I'm a definite no for soup as a starter, it WILL end up spilled down my dress ?. I'm a veggie so I'm very excited to hear that the chef at my venue is also veggie so will have some interesting ideas - not the typical stuffed pepper as someone else mentioned. I've also specified no pork due to a large number of muslim guests attending - we decided we won't request specific halal meat to be prepared because the vegetarian option will be suitable for those guests and I know they won't object. My partner's main request is that he can have a steak, and we'll go with a chicken option because it's "safe", so beef, chicken, vegetarian and lots of chocolatey themed puddings - profiteroles are always a winner!

Oh yeh, and choose something that excites YOU because you probably won't have eaten all morning because you're too busy stressing and worrying about stuff, then think about another option to balance yours if it's a little adventurous.

• mandunc14
    Beginner July 2014
    mandunc14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats what my guy says. We are getting married in July and right now we have Tomato Soup (his choice not mine...too boring!) and prawn cocktail. I want to swap out the soup for a salad.

Would you guys do soup and salad or prawn cocktail with something?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics