Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Dedicated October 2023 Cumbria

Wedding breakfast choices xharge

Elizabeth, 19 of April of 2023 at 09:58 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 4
Hi, just looking for some advice or what others have experienced.

We’re having a 4 course sit down meal for our wedding breakfast but our venue are wanting to charge an extra £2.50 per person per course if we give our guests the choice of their meals as opposed to us picking one choice and everybody has the same. Is this standard? Most weddings I’ve been to we’ve picked our own choices so I just thought that was the norm. I’m not really prepared to pay extra on top of an already expensive wedding meal but I would prefer people to have the food they’ve chosen cos then I know they’ll actually eat it.
What have your experiences been?

4 replies

Latest activity by Kirsty, 19 of April of 2023 at 23:44
  • Kathryn
    Savvy April 2025 Co Londonderry
    Kathryn ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! I've worked in a few hotels that hosted weddings all the time and this was standard for us and other hotels around the area.
    My own venue has the same charge if we give guests an option.
    One of those things you really don't realise until you're planning your own wedding!
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

We paid an extra £5 a person to have 3 choices for each course. There is more work involved in preparing multiple dishes and organising everyone getting the right choice so I understand why there is an extra charge. It was an easy decision for us because we couldn't agree on a menu that we both liked so I picked my menu, OH picked his and then we picked a 3rd option to give as much variety as possible to our guests.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Unless you can provide a choice of three or four dishes, you still may find a lot of people don't get a meal they like.

I assume they will provide options for those who are veggie or have dietary requirements anyway? So you shouldn't have to exclude anyone who genuinely can't eat what is on offer.

Hopefully, your guests are coming to support you, not for the meal anyway, so they shouldn't mind. As someone with a severe allergy, it's rare that I'm able to eat the wedding meal anyway, but it's never stopped me attending a wedding or having fun at it!

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    My venue also stated its extra to allow guests to pick. I did not allow choices. I chose a set main menu and a set vegetarian menu. I gave the option to guests to pick either the main menu or vegetarian. But that's as far as the choice goes. Weddings are expensive enough as it is without adding choices for each course

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics