Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

germaki
Beginner October 2013

Wedding Breakfast entertainment

germaki, 29 August, 2012 at 11:27 Posted on Planning 0 10

I hadn't given it much thought till someone asked me what I was planning to do during the meal itself entertainment wise.

I plan on having a harpist during the ceremony and the drinks reception so I could extend this so she played during the meal but was wondering what you were planning?

E x

10 replies

Latest activity by *Eclair*, 29 August, 2012 at 12:18
  • B
    Binary ·
    • Hide content

The harpist during the meal sounds nice - check their fatigue factor though as if they've already played during your ceremony and drinks reception they may take issue with playing for two hours or so during a meal, playing the harp is demanding work.

Other things I've seen used to good effect include small jazz ensembles, solo guitarists, solo sax players, string quartets/trios/duos - or if you want to go away from the music side of things close up magicians are always entertaining.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

I figured people will just be talking amoungst themselves and too busy eating so probably won't be having any entertainment during the breakfast....

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Just background music! We only have 40ish for dinner so we will just be entertaining each other!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

In our experience, people tend to sit and chat amongst themselves quite happily during the wedding breakfast. We've been at lots of weddings where they've had entertainment and to be honest, people don't really pay any attention to it.

Personally, i'd just have some nice background music on and if you're worried about guests getting bored, perhaps have some little table top games or something for people to "do" Smiley smile

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Second background music. Wouldn't waste money on entertainment that will go unnoticed

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Yep we are having no entertainment either, wouldnt expect it if I went to a wedding either.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

We had a pianist but to be honest I don't think many people actually noticed - I would say a CD of background music would be all you need. That's something I would change if I did it again, save the £180 quid and just stick a CD on!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. We're making a CD with lots of nice love-ish songs. Nothing too soppy because that's not us, but probably will include all our songs, walking down the aisle etc (but not the first dance!) and might include a little something for people to do. At my friends wedding she had little bells as the name card holders and as soon as we sat down I shook it to see if it had a dangly bit. It did, and my table spent most of the in-betweeny bits ringing the bells and throwing table crystals at each other and in the drinks. Was very fun, but we didn't know what else to do. We weren't bored as such, but I'm definitely on the hunt for some ideas.

• B
    Binary ·
    • Hide content

Even though I provide live music for a living - I go along with what a lot of people say here. I have been completely ignored maaaaany times providing background music for sit down meals.

You have already said that you're having your harpist play for the drinks reception - and at this point live music goes down much, much better as the audience tend to engage with the music a little more, and if done right it becomes a talking point.

At my own wedding, we had no music at all during the meal and placed trivia boxes on the tables. People just tend to circulate anyway.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I dont think you need any entertainment during the meal, i dont even think background music is essential.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. People will be talking to each other and if anything I think background music makes this more difficult, especially for older/hard of hearing people.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics