Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

missmoore
Beginner January 2012

wedding breakfast in same place as reception?

missmoore, 14 of June of 2013 at 14:04 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi guys,

i am planning on getting married in 2015 and ave begun looking at venues. i have absolutely fallen in love with a venue however there is one issue - and a big one. the guestlist is looking to be about 110 people at a minimum (h2b's mum is one of 11 kids (yes, 11!) which makes his family huge. they are also very close knit and therefore theres not anyone we couldnt invite. So the issue is, the venue only holds 70 for the ceremony and sit down meal, and 170 for a reception.

The question is, could we get married at one venue and have the ceremony and wedding breakfast there, then move on to my venue of choice for the evening do which holds 170?

obviously id have to ask the venues if this would be acceptable, but my question to you is, if you were a guest, how would this sit with you? Both places would be in walking distance of each other. thanks c

5 replies

Latest activity by Jemima Renrut, 14 of June of 2013 at 19:41
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Of course - it's what people do when they have church weddings and registry office weddings.

By walking distance, what do you mean - I'd not want to walk far at all in heels and would prefer to drive to the ceremony venue then drive to the reception venue and leave the car there if it's more than a few minutes walk.

ETA: sorry I completely misread your post. I thought you'd be moving on after the ceremony.

I still wouldn't mind but it would obviously mean I couldn't drive as I'd have had a drink with dinner. If it's a fair walk it might be a nice idea to provide a flip flop basket for your guests with heels?

• missmoore
    Beginner January 2012
    missmoore ·
    • Hide content

But wouldnt it be strange for people to sit down, have their food and then be moved on to a diffefent venue for the 'party'?

Both venues would be in city centre of a small city, so like a 5-10 min walk max.

apologies for my dire punctuatuon and spelling, touch typing is a nightmaew and i cant be bothered correcting everything!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Well I can only speak for myself in saying I wouldn't mind but generally everyone has to vacate the room anyway while they turn it around for the evening do (if both wedding breakfast and evening reception are in the same room).

It would be the walk between the two that would be the only thing that might cause issues - I'd worry about people getting lost etc? How feasible would it be to have a coach between the two?

You have also got the issue of where people's cars are going to be and where they can park them overnight if needs be.

• chocolategirl
    Beginner August 2013
    chocolategirl ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't mind at all - it'd make it more interesting!?

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

It is not a bad idea if you really love the other venue, but if you look at it from the second venue's POV, the place where they will make their money is on the meal, and any charges around your ceremony if in the same place. If you effectively knock a Saturday out of their calendar but only book the later evening with them, then how will they make any money? They won;t make so much on just the drinks. It might make better business sense for them to book a bride who wants to be with them all day.

I know you have said that it cannot work for you but this is why people often have evening guests, they invite the closest people for the day then all the extras in the evening. Is that even something you might be able to consider? Then you could have your favourite all day!

If the second venue will go for it (I am really not sure they will but I wish you luck with it) then I wouldn't have an issue walking between the two. Infact, my friend got married a couple of years ago but the ceremony room of her dream venue had the ceiling fall in after heavy rain! They had the ceremony in a new place and still partied in the other venue. It was about a 10 minute walk. Not a problem.

xxx

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

It wouldn't bother me, i would take a spare pair of shoes. Have you found 2 close venues? I think this might be the challenge. And dont forgrt about older guests who might not find walking as easy

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics