Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner December 2014

Wedding Breakfast Menu?

WinterBride14, 19 of June of 2014 at 13:33 Posted on Planning 0 26

We are scheduled to meet with our venue next Tuesday to discuss lots of things, including our menu & I wondered what everyone had chosen for your breakfast menu?

We will be giving everyone a choice of 2 dishes from each course & whilst the venue are happy to come up with the ideas, we feel bad putting it all on them & we would really like to go with at least some ideas. i appreciate that this is not the main focus of the day but we really want the meal to be something to remember so don't want to offer the usual i.e. soup & chicken/roast beef. (although i'm not dissing these choices for anyone that's gone for this - its just not what we would like)

Would you mind sharing your menus?

26 replies

Latest activity by jayannfernandez, 20 of June of 2014 at 12:33
  • JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

We're giving options as well:-

Starters - Chicken & Chorizo skewers or Goats Cheese Terrine

Main - Stuffed saddle of lamb or mushroom wellington

Dessert - Apricot tart or tiramisu

for kids under 12 they get a set menu of - mini pizza, chicken goujons and ice cream sundae

Are you having a menu tasting with the hotel?

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

I don't get to do my tasting until later in the year :-(

I'd really like steak and chips and banoffee pie for ours.

Weddings I've been to previously and remembered the food- lamb shank- this is bad as thats the only one I can remember

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Happy to share. Our menu was driven by knowing the tastes of our guests, now is not the time to push them to eat something they prob won't like imho, and also what is likely to be moreforgiving in the kitchen should things over-run and that they will have already had a little bit more adventurous picnic only a couple of hours before so:

Starter:

Cream of Veg soup - we know the dads willwant this

Galia Melon

Chicken Liver Parfait and crostini

Mains

Roast Welsh Beef with all the trimmings

Roast Turkey with seasonal veg

Desert

Apple Pie and ice cream

Sticky toffee pudding

There's then a kiddies option of half an adlut main, sausage and mash or fish and chips, same starters and same desert or plain ice cream if they prefer. Have also offered one adult the choice of sausages as he's a really really fussy eater!!

Then late on we're having bacon or sausage butties.

So like I say, safe yes, but will appeal to everyone which is what matters to us.

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi - no our venue isnt at a hotel, its at a masonic lodge so we don't get a tasting. However, last time we visited they gave us a sample of a desert, which was to die for so i'm intending to remind them of this. (fresh raspberries in a raspberry mouse, surrounded by cointrou soaked sponge with raspberry & cointrou coulis)We also know of a few other people that have got married there & they have said the food has been amazing so i'm not worried, just curious for ideas.

Pammy, I didnt mean any offense & your menu does sound lovely. I particularly like your childrens choices - this is also something we need to think about.

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

We're no where near actually choosing our menu officially but my venue has the usual choices on their website so I have provisionally chosen:

Adults:
    Starters
    Melon Fan served with a Tower of Exotic Fruits
    Cream of Leek and Potato Soup with Julienne of Deep Fried Leeks (V)
    Warm bacon and Mushroom Salad with Balsamic Dressing
    Mains
    Staffordshire Pork Sausages with Mashed Potatoes and Onion Gravy
    Poached Darne of Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce
    Breast of Chicken with Wild Mushrooms and Champagne Sauce
    Desserts
    Wedding Cake with Cream
    If not possible:
    Profiteroles with Dark Chocolate Sauce and White Chocolate Shavings
    Summer Fruits Crème Brulee
    Traditional Baked Cheesecake with Blackberries and Berry Coulis

Children:
    Starters
    Cheesy Garlic Bread (V)
    Cream of Tomato Soup (or the same soup choice as the adult guests) (V)
    Mains
    Traditional Farmhouse Sausages served with Gravy, Mash and Fresh Vegetables.
    Penne Pasta in a Fresh Tomato Sauce. (V)
    Desserts
    Wedding Cake with Cream
    If not possible:
    Chocolate Brownie Squares with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce
    Fresh Fruit Salad

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

We had smoked salmon on rye, roast chicken with salad bowls and roast new potatoes, and pavlova. Veg choice was feta, spinach & pine nut tart. We went for easy crowd pleasers and it was all served family style rather than plated up, we had a small relaxed wedding. I also considered having slow roast lamb with green veg and dauphinoise potatoes but was worried that lots of people don't like lamb.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lol - none taken hun. I was just pointing out you need to think about your guests and what will work for them and what other things you might have arranged. If OH had his way it would be a flippin' full blown indian banquet. That would not go down well with our dads and we really want to look after our Dads. And as they can moan the loudest bless them we decided do something that's safe for everyone and we know all our lot love a good roast meal. It was just easier for us.

As for children'smenu, the venue offered about 12 choices - I decided they could have what they've got lol. Also being selfish here and thinking of keeping it simple Smiley winking Our venue offer Monkfish which I'd have loved as well as loads of other yummy stuff, but it's about the whole picture and what works for you so no offence taken at all hun.

Good luck Smiley smile x

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Foo - i'm with you on Lamb. My OH & I love it but we realise that its not to everyone's taste so will be staying away from it unfortunately.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Kids ate smaller portions of the same - kids menus full of crappy junk food really annoy me.

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

We aren't having a starter as we are getting married late afternoon and time is going to be tight, but we are having fish and chips for main with curry sauce, gravy and peas, and for dessert we have three choices; pear and chocolate brownie, Eton mess or baked New York cheesecake.

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I must admit, I don't want to be seeing chicken nuggets on the kids menu! It annoys me the hell out of me that they are only offered things like this - they need good food that they'll enjoy too!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

We are meeting our caterers next tuesday to confirm but from our tasting we chose sharing platters with olives, cheeses,meats and salads for start. We had 4 caterers to choose from but it was this that swayed us. It looks amazing on the tables and is exactly our tastes.

For main we are having Venison wellington with seasonal veg and dauphinoise potatoes. It has crossed my mind Venison is a slightly unusal choice but it was delish and I think our guests are the sort to be happy with that. For dessert we are having a trio - a raspberry creme brulee, a pavlova type thing and another unchosen one! I also need to sort Veggie option out as I completely forgot! ooops!

ETA i do think it's important to think of your guests but remember it's your day so have something you really love. Also an Indian banquet sounds incredible! I would need to put a plastic poncho over my dress though to avoid curry splashes!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would be super chuffed with this as a guest! It looks fantastic.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing lamb. It has taken weeks to decide.

Chicken, eat it every day so doesn't feel very special. Pork, can be tough so not worth the risk. Veal, veto'd by everyone as too controversial but it's traditional so we went with lamb. OH's Mum kicked up a stink, but she doesn't eat anything anyway and I refused to tailor a menu around someone who wouldn't eat the main course anyway.

Ours is a traditional 5 course Italian dinner.

1st Starter - antipasti for meat eaters and gorgonzola and pear crostini for veggies

Pasta Course - fettuccini with ragu and pasta marinara for veggies

Main - Roast lamb with summer roasted veg and stuffed peppers for veggies

First desert - Fruit Salad

Main Desert - Tiramisu

Coffee!!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We had sharing platters to start too (one was oysters and prawns and one was Italian antipasti). They went down an absolute treat with the guests, who said they'd never seen it before. Inevitably on every table there'd be a few people who weren't keen on the seafood (including me) so it meant that those who loved it got even more!

We then had chargrilled beef tenderloin with truffle infused mash, asparagus, baby carrots and a mushroom and gruyere pie.

Dessert was white chocolate mousse in a dark chocolate teardrop with raspberry coulis.

We got married in Australia where they do a thing called "alternate serve" which means you pick two dishes e.g. beef and chicken and every other guest around the table gets one of the two dishes. I think the idea behind it is that if you don't like what you've got, you can swap with your neighbour. We hated this idea, but they wouldn't let us have a choice of two, even if we pre-ordered, so everybody got the same (apart from vegetarians).

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can I have an invite!?!?! That sounds AMAZING! Personally I love lamb and it was our original choice but then the Venison trumped it taste wise.

Is a pasta course traditional in Italy? and 2 dessert courses! I should have married an Italian, although having said that I would be the size of a house in no time!

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Dr Buffles, flights are cheap, get yourself out there!! Love venison, just hearing it made me hungry.

No idea how I'll be able to sit down in my dress that long. Pasta is really traditional, and they're big servings too.

I'm marrying a Greek in Italy, not sure what's worse for the waistline. They're both pretty carb and oil laden!!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally would have gone with that caterer too - looks AWESOME, and my favourite stuff too. My husband is not a fan of antipasti or tapas or anything nice, so the best I could do was insist on having olive/feta/italian sausage pots as nibbles during the drinks reception rather than having that kind of food as a starter.

For the OP: Confit duck leg starter, steak main, and an assiette dessert just because they look so pretty and you essentially get to have three different desserts which makes me swoooooon. Here was our assiette on the day (first and only time I got my camera-phone out, LOL)

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Claire.....your dessert looks amazing!

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding guest are still talking about our wedding food! It was amazing! I'm gutted my dress was too tight so I couldn't finish my meal.

we had

starter:

salmon fish cake in a bed of salad with Thai sweet chilli sauce.

vegetarian option- caramelised onion and goat cheese tart

main:

lamb shank with mash potatoe, and seasonal veg.

vegetarian option: spinach and feta cheese pasty with seasonal veg.

a few people had a chicken option - chicken breast stuffed with ricotta cheese in a honey mustard sauce with seasonal veg.

Dessert

sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream or triple chocolate cheesecake on a ginger biscuit base! (It was lush I finished this)

the children had: chicken nuggets and chips followed by Ice cream

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I don't have anything to add to this at the moment, as we don't get to talk to our venue about this until September, but just commenting so I can come back and peek at everyone else's ideas then!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Claire that pudding trio looks amazing!

Dr B - I love your sharing platter starter, looks fantastic on the table. I really wanted something like that but we can't because of space on the tables. I went to a wedding once with them and it was great! Your guest will love it. The majority of mine would wonder when the 'proper' starter of lentil soup was coming, another reason I didn't bother!

We are having a BBQ - that could be an idea for you (OP) if your venue is a Masonic hall.

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

I have no pictures, but we chose a set menu of:

canapes earlier in the day - Greek salad cup, wild mushroom popcorn, salmon roulade, lamb skewers and a chorizo... Thing.

starter - haddock and spring onion fish cakes with a green salad

main - venison with a goats cheese and honey toasted sandwich. (Delectable... We fought over the Sarnie at our tasting)

dessert - wedding cake

finished with a cheese platter.

for the evening we are doing "sausage ciabattas & chips".

it really is bloody gorgeous. My parents were worried about the venison but we put our foot down. I'm not picking chicken to please 3 out of 70.

• C
    Beginner June 2014
    Clare61086 ·
    • Hide content

We have gone for duck confit, chicken and then chocolate fondant. We weren't sure on chicken initially but thought it was best to stay safe for the main, we got the chef to change a couple of things so it is a bit fancier than roast dinner. The chocolate fondant looked and tasted so good at our trial we had to go with that!

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

OMG I'm salivating at all your menus!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

As we had pretty much every dietary requirement under the sun at ours, we offered four choices per course, that were pre-chosen:

starter
    goats cheese with beetroot and walnut
    leek and feta tart
    parma ham and mozzarella with figs
    broad bean salad

main
    fillet steak (OHMYGODTHISWASAMAZING)
    chicken wrapped in parma with a mozarella and pine nut stuffing
    stuffed aubgergine
    mushroom and goats cheese wellington

dessert
    eton mess
    choc terrine
    apple plate (mini apple sorbet, apple tart, apple creme brulee)
    bread and butter pudding

my friend also made me some amazing meringue mushrooms and we had 2 put on every dessert plate

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

If it's an outdoor wedding, just message me and I can share with you our menus Smiley smile otherwise, for me, it's always best to think about what you, as a couple, like as your menu. what you enjoy eating. Best of Luck and Congratulations in advance! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics