Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

claire_91
Beginner July 2014

Wedding Breakfast Menus. What are you having?

claire_91, 29 August, 2012 at 14:11 Posted on Planning 0 33

So I am currently sorting out our wedding breakfast. What are you having for your food?

We are on quite a tight budget so the choice was fairly limited especially as my fiance has coeliac disease too on top of being a picky eater. Currently this is what we are thinking:

Starter: Melon crown with raspberry sorbet or ham hock terrine

Main: Supreme of chicken with mozarella and basil or leek, apple and brie tart

Dessert: Chocolate truffle with maple walnut ice cream or Raspberry Eton mess

To finish: Coffee with mints

33 replies

Latest activity by xlovebirdsx, 3 September, 2012 at 20:42
  • Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

Pate or prawns, chicken or pork, lemon tart or choc cheesecake.

No vegetarians, thank goodness.

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    sarah8313 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a wedding breakfast :-o!!

I personally hate the formality of it so bypassing!!

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's fair enough whatever suits you. Are you doing somrhitng else instead?

• KarenJane
    Beginner June 2013
    KarenJane ·
    • Hide content

We have a meeting with our caterers tonight! Not sure what we're having yet, but thinking about going with the "classic" like sausage and mash or something similar. We're also thinking about serving the wedding cake as the sweet to make sure it actualy gets eaten and doesnt end up in peoples hand bags that they find 2 weeks later! (or is that just me?!) Thinking it will save on cost too!

I'll come back to you after tonights meeting x

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    sarah8313 ·
    • Hide content

We're not getting married till 2pm & family & close friends invited will be advised to have a cooked lunch before coming - we're having food at the local pub before going to our venue for a buffet (good old Jimmy's Farm sausages!)

I know everyone invited will understand :-)

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely! We are struggling to choose its hard to find something to suit a lot of people!

Starter: Chicken liver parfait with red onion marmalade and oatcakes or gateau of haggis neeps & tattles

Main: fillet of scotch beef, confit of shallots & Madeira jus or individual beef Wellington with winter truffle jus

Dessert: raspberry & vanilla creme brûlée or apple and rhubarb pots with cinnamon crumble

To finish: tea, coffee & tablet

We are choosing 2 options so still got to decide on a vegetarian menu and a children's menu

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Soup/fish cake/ game terrine

Braised beef/ chicken supreme / roast gnocchi

Vanilla cheesecake & sorbet / apple & cinnamon crumble

Tea/coffe and petit fours

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Are you offering your guests a choice of two of the each courses or are you trying to decide which one of the two courses you mention?

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Both mains will be offered so that there is a vegetarian option but we will need to choose one starter and one dessert. We get a free taster meal to decide which we want

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

Starter: Duck and orange terrine with red onion marmalade - (I'll be having Tomato and buffalo mozarella salad dressed with a sweet basil dressing) - pregnant guests will be having Slithers of Galia melon with a compote of minted berries.

Main: Baked breast of chicken with a white wine shallot and mushroom sauce - Roast escalope of salmon topped with a herb and olive crust and a sweet tomato sauce.

Dessert: Individual pavlova.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Mmm hungry now! We are skipping starters, having a choice of fish & chips or steak & ale pie or veggie to be decided and then choice of eton mess or fruit crumble or choc brownie for pudding....I want a bit of everything...!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good

Although bare in mind if you choose the melon for starter and the eton mess for dessert you are effectively having raspberry twice in the same meal.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes please to the above!

We had:

Salad of Parma Ham with fresh fig & mozzarella, with a sweet & sharp honey lemon dressing, served with basil pesto

Slow Roast Shoulder of Kentish Lamb with minted pea puree, piquant sauce, creamed potatoes, pommes rissole and a selection of fresh market vegetables

Chocolate & Amaretto Torte with a raspberry coulis or Mille Feuille of Strawberries layered with shortbread biscuits & served with fruit coulis & thickened sweet cream

It was all delicious! Pitty I couldn't eat much of it!

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

Not having a formal/sit down wedding breakfast as in my parents garden so hard for catering etc + wanted a more relaxed sort of affair. Instead having champagne reception and canapes, followed by "small bowl" food, e.g. mini fillet steak, chips and bearnaise sauce, wild mushroom risotto with truffle oil etc. Also having a west country cheese board and local meats Smiley smile, then coffee/tea and Devon fudge.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We had platters to start

Freshly shucked oysters & king prawns and

Grilled marinated artichokes, eggplant, zucchini & mushrooms, prosciutto ham, Spanish salami, smoked chicken, Roma tomato, Greek fetta cheese

followed by:

Char grilled beef tenderloin with truffle infused mash, asparagus, baby carrot and a mushroom and gruyere pie with red wine jus

then:

White chocolate mousse with raspberry coulis, in a dark chocolate tear drop

It was very important to us to stay away from the usual soup/pate and chicken supreme which is what we get in 9 out of 10 weddings we go to!

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough, your menu does sound very pricey though and I guess not everyone can afford to have food so upmarket. We have a lot of very picky people coming, if it was up to me we'd have had fish for one course but 50% of the guests including the groom wouldn't eat it.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's hard to put a price on it because our per head package price included alcohol, cake, the DJ so I can't exactly say how much it was, but I could have had salad and chicken breast for the same price, so don't assume that different has to mean expensive. You asked what people had and I answered your question, just giving a reason for my choice! I don't like fish either, but H loves it, hence the fish choice in our starter.

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We don't know about starter yet but sausage and mash with ice cream for dessert, we are serving our wedding cake up with our evening buffet so that it gets eaten.

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, sorry if it came across that way. I think your menu sounds amazing but something similar at our venue would double the cost of our food bill that's all. You make a valid point about chicken being popular at weddings I guess it is just a safe option for picky guests and we don't want the risk of the food not being eaten. I wish my h2b was more of a foodie but he doesn't seem to care that it's what everyone has.

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

We chose chicken because we thought everyone would have it and 75% have gone for pork!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Well you cant please everyone when it comes to food so make sure you and OH are happy with your choice thats the main thing. But i feel your pain im a mega foodie/food snob and OH is like a fussy child and i've really spat my dummy out over this, ha

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

After months of deciding on our main, we are nowe having;

Starter: Due of melon with raspberry compote

Main: BEEF (Yes we went for a traditional roast beef dinner instead of chicken), there were other choices but wanted something people would eat.

Dessert: White Chocolate Truffle Torte

Kids (all under 8yrs) are having, garlic cheesy bread, Chips, Chicken nuggets and beans with Chocolate brownie and ice cream for pudding!

Then we could decide on the buffett so have gone with a chef's choice, give them a chance to empty the freezer ?

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Soon2bMrsMay ·
    • Hide content

We are hiving tomato soup to start, chicken supreme with spinach and mushrooms for main and sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream ice cream!

We went for the menu as it is something that oh and i both eat, he wanted pate to start, which i hate.

I'm looking forward to being sat around with our guests Smiley smile

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We had-

Starter- Serranno ham with wild rocket, manchego shavings and warm maple figs.

or

Chargrilled asparagus spears with soft poached duck eggs.

Main- Chargrilled 10oz 28 day matured fillet steak, grilled tomato, portobello mushroom and homemade chips.

or

Sweet butternut squash risotto with sage, parmesan and orange oil.

Dessert- Sticky toffee pudding with honeycomb icecream

or

Crushed raspberry mess with homemade biscotti.

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

Some very fancy menus here Smiley smile

We are having

Northumbrian Broth with freshly baked bread

Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding and Seasonal Vegetables

Bramley Applie Pie and Custard

OH and my favourites (except the beef thats for OH)!

Vegetarians are as above but Vegetable Lasagne for main.

Kids are having chicken nuggets and chips (no beans on fancy frocks + suits!!) then ice cream Smiley smile

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

We have just picked ours we are having

Starter

Salmon fishcakes with Thai salad or medley of melon and mango salad for veggies

Main

Corn-fed chicken with mushroom in garlic and champagne sauce or caramilsed onion and feta tart for the veggies

Dessert

A trio of deserts chocolate torte, raspberry panacotta and baked cheesecake

Have had a couple of meals at our venue and the food is lovely so hoping it will be as good on the day.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! We know a couple of fussy bvggers, but decided to pick what we wanted rather than cater for the masses. The venue said this actually when we went for food tasting. To pick what we wanted to have, as we'd never please everyone anyway, and they didn't want us to regret our choice! Having said that, everyone commented on how lovely the food was.

We didn't have to pay extra for lamb over chicken. We were able to pick whatever we wanted off the menu provided, with no extra cost. Our venue was ace!

• Mrs_Rolfe_2b
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs_Rolfe_2b ·
    • Hide content

We're also not having a sit down meal. I hate the word Buffett but essentially that is what we are having. But no cocktail sausages or pork pie in sight! Having bread rolls , platters of meats, salmon, mini pies, fish rostis, potatoes, salads etc

And then cake stands with scones and Victoria sponges brought to the table for dessert.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Were having mini savoury pies ( chicken, steak and ale and a veggie pie) gravy and potatoes (mash, roasts and chips!)

Were also hoping for something like this for the dessert table (above) with the wedding cake as the centrepiece.

Were then having a 'traditional' buffet later on, volauvents and all!

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

Hello, some lovely menus ladies. It's making me hungry!

We are having (2 weeks on Sunday to go!):

Starters: Goats cheese on sun blush crostini with red pesto & caper berries

Mains: Venison Wellington with red wine jus, served with dauphinoise potatoes and roasted root vegetables

Veggie option: Portobello mushroom with herb, parmesan and pine nuts

Dessert: Sticky toffee pudding and butterscotch sauce

I can't wait, if it's anything like the tasting, it will be amazing!

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

Or delicious menu;

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

mmmm yummmmmy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇