Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cache13
Beginner August 2015

Wedding breakfast - what are you having?

Cache13, 3 of January of 2015 at 22:48 Posted on Planning 0 22

We are looking to stray away from the traditional 1/2 roast chicken per person etc... And go for something a bit different. I wouldn't eat a roast dinner at 4pm on a (hopefully!!) warm August afternoon, especially not in a fitted dress, so I'm wanting something a bit more summery. It is a traditional sit down 3 course meal and we have a huge hog roast in the evening too (so much food!!)

im thinking a chicken and chorizo paella and salad, with a veggie paella option too. What do you think? My sister worries this would exclude people who can't eat rice - I dont think I know of anyone of my friends who are, but not sure on their OHs.

what food are you doing?

22 replies

Latest activity by MrsP2B-2015, 6 of January of 2015 at 13:35
  • Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content

Would having options be a possibility and then send menu card out with invitations, that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm the same as you and wanting to stay away from th traditional roast beef Sunday roast style dinner, but we have veggies in our family so thought doing a choice would be a good way but having it all pre planned so venue don't have to order more food than they need incase one option turns out more popular xx

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MissExcited ·
    • Hide content

We've been saving up even more so we can treat our friends & family to a 3-course meal of wild mushrooms & asparagus filo basket, duck with a grand marnier sauce and a trio of desserts. Not quite a Sunday Roast. The paella and hog roast sounds really nice! I would think most people would eat rice. My FMIL is very picky and she may not like our menu but we've already compromised on not having a fish course which I would have loved! There will alwaysbe someone who won't like something but it's also your big day too so pick whatever you like. Good luck!

• S
    Beginner December 2016
    sarah121 ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds lovely, it's always nice when you get something different from the normal wedding breakfast. I don't think you'll ever please everyone to be honest. We can only pick one option for all the guests and one vegi option. I'm expecting quite a few at ours to pull there face including FFIL and grandparents, but you can't please everyone and whilst I'll pick something that I expect most people will eat I'm not going with something and chips without sauce just to please the FFIL, so I'll just have to let any comments go over my head! Smiley smile xxx

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We are doing seafood paella along with a vegetarian paella with salads, our caterer is also doing meat and cheese boards for nibbles with drinks when guests arrive.

We have found paella is great at being an inclusive food - it's gluten free and can be done dairy free as well so we cover majority of our friends (and my) intolerances. Out of 120 guests we only have 2 which don't eat rice for which we are doing a seperate dish for.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're hoping for a nice warm day too and have decided not to opt for a traditional 3 course meal. We're having a gourmet burger van, which gives guests the option to go for something big warm and filling if they'd like, or something a bit lighter.

I'm a huge fan of pastries myself, so things like caramelised onion and goat cheese tarts tend to sit well with me whatever the weather. I can't say i've ever had paella before, but it sounds good!

• jennybob
    Beginner April 2015
    jennybob ·
    • Hide content

We're having an afternoon tea instead of a three course meal, sandwiches and cakes and scones. Its very us and a bit different. Also its cost us much much less Smiley smilex

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

Paella sounds fantastic! Most people eat rice, and if someone has an intolerance then they would advise you.

We are having antipasti sharing boards as a starter (or possibly soup!), then, also to share at the table, maple roasted loin of pork and veg, with the vege option of goat's cheese, cranberry and mushroom wellington (I am vege). Then we will have a selection of desserts that people will help themselves to. We wanted to keep in a little informal and thought the sharing options will get people talking and then the dessert will get people moving around a bit before sitting still for more time for speeches.

• flourishandlace
    flourishandlace ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The gourmet burger van sounds absolutely amazing!

I think the paella sounds like a good option, nice and light and summery. And a bit different too!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

We're having an afternoon tea from reading bits on here i've decided to serve it in "courses" so a savoury then a sweet to stop kiddies eating all the cake. i wanted to mirror the sweet one a bit with the savoury i.e. Cheese scones and a onion chutney to be like scones and jam. I also want to jazz it up with cous cous and different bits.

For evening we are gonna do make your own pizzas and wedding cake Smiley smile

• xchristy_bbyx
    Beginner April 2016
    xchristy_bbyx ·
    • Hide content

We are having an easy 3 course set meal, soup, steak pie and then trifle Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We had paella at our wedding, among other things. It went down a storm. However we didn't have the formal do you are having.

You do say in your OP that you want a traditional sit down three course meal: I'm not sure that Paella sits well within that format. I'm not sure that paella is considerably lighter than roast chicken either, if that is your main criterion for choosing it, rather than cost.

I disagree with your sister though: rice dishes are generally an excellent way to cater for most food allergies/preferences. There's bound to be the odd one who doesn't like rice, but you'd have that with whatever you chose, and certainly paella can easily be gluten, dairy and/or meat free..

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh McHelenz, your menu makes me so jealous! It was exactly our plan when we were looking at a venue where outside catering was an option, but with the venue we eventually chose we can't do this option - it's traditional 3 course meal or a carvery, not exciting at all lol.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here's hoping ?

I'm telling myself how fantastic the food will be and how worth the wait it is whilst i'm on my pre-wedding diet.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

We were worried about that too as in the summer you don't fancy lots.

Our starter is a sharing platter, lots of cold meats, pate, different breads, so good even if it is hot. Pudding is a cold course. Our only warm course is the main one and we opted for a bit of chicken, potatoes and veg. It isn't the lightest of meals but when we ate it on a really hot day it was good!

Then in the evening we can have a variety of foods, pizza, fish and chips and mini burgers.

i think paella would be lovely, lots of flavour and if you have it in the giant frying pans then it'll be a brilliant spectacle too. It's your day, as everyone says you'll always have the odd fusspot, if you want it have it!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

Were having a walking starter (double canapés) to avoid boredom / hungar during photos / drinks reception and then gormet burgers served to the tables with loads of toppings to pass around (cheeses / salads / bacon / mushrooms / salsas) followed by a ice cream cart for desert.

Our venue is quite formal so I'm hoping it will all feel like 'special quirky' food rather than McDs like my mum suggested it would lol!

We just didn't want everyone sat around hours waiting for 90 people to get served 3/4 courses x

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

We're having the traditional soup although im having goats cheese as i dont like soup! chicken in mushroom sauce and profiteroles. We've also booked an ice cream tricycle and sweet cart. I love sweets and sweet things so decided I was going to have what I wanted lol

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

We are having afternoon tea, then a BBQ in the evening :-)

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

We haven't set our menus yet, but we have 3 options for 3 courses. Sometimes I don't like being told what I have to eat! But our menu options are lovely, fish, chicken, beef etc with additional vegetarian, gluten free options for those who need it!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I think paella sounds lovely and a nice alternative. Doing a vegetarian option will be easy as well. You are always going to get the fussy people -my inlaws moaned about chicken with a sauce as my husbands cousins wedding.

• E
    Beginner April 2015
    ExpensivePurpleDiamonds85 ·
    • Hide content

We can choose between either portobello mushroom with walnut, spinach and blue cheese salad or pate on sourdough, beef wellington or rump of lamb, apple tart with caramel sauce or white chocolate cheesecake. Yum!! Then in the evening a hog roast.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Paella sounds lovely, something different as well!

Our venue comes with compulsory caterers, who are run by a "master chef" of Great Britain. I've seen pictures of their food and it does look very fancy, but small - I hope everyone is full after eating! Our wedding is in Autumn so we've gone for traditional:

Leek & potato soup with truffle oil, Pork with apple jus and veg/potatoes, duo of Lancashire desserts (I think they were sticky toffee pud and apple pie)

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsP2B-2015 ·
    • Hide content

Your menu sounds delish! We've got a hog roast in the evening too, and giving everyone a choice for starter / main / dessert. H2B wants to take the leftovers home..!

I've got a very picky family, and after many deliberations decided it was worth paying the extra to give everyone the choice. As much as I want everyone to eat what I want them to, I didn't want my family to affect the mood if they didn't like the food on offer. I love fish too, so our main is a choice of chicken with lemon sauce or salmon (veggie option comes as a standard replacement, so I guess technically it's a choice of 3). I figured even if they didn't like the choices on offer, they still have a choice!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics