Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HatTrick
Beginner September 2010

Wedding budgets??

HatTrick, 17 August, 2009 at 13:27 Posted on Planning 0 31

I'm conscious of the fact that I do a lot of snooping on here, but hardly ever write back or start a thread. (Because I haven't got a clue about weddings and don't know where to start!) lol

How much are you all spending on your weddings? Some of the venues shown on the venue flash look absolutely out of my budget! We're spending between 9-10K and I think that is a hell of a lot just for one day. And that's with out the church fees or my dress as my parents and nan are paying for those :-)

31 replies

Latest activity by nicyx, 22 August, 2009 at 17:44
  • *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

We did a 'budget' and it came to around £15k. However, my sisters was £10k and my best friends was £35k.

I'm not sure if there's an average.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

35K???? That could buy me half a house!!! lol

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I know, that was including 2 exotic honeymoons tho. And she is absolutely loaded so everything was high spec.

When she told me, I nearly ate my tongue.

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

Our budget is 6-7k, because I can't justify spending so much on one day when we want an awesome honeymoon (separate budget) and are saving to live abroad for a bit and eventually buy a house. I suppose you just decide what's important? For me, live music, good food and free booze all day is important. The venue has been the big compromise (but have actually found a delightful little church and hall to get married in just 10mins walk from our house) so that's costing much less than it could. Other than that, I'm making nearly everything myself (just made 14 buttons holes for 14p each this weekend!) where I can to cut costs. I'm also roping in friends where possible - brother's friend is a pro photographer, a friend's brother is a T4 cameraman, friend lives opposite the church so will get ready there and no transport costs whatsoever - and I'm making my own wedding cake!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding in Portugal is coming out at £6k, which includes a weeks accommodation, two lots of flights and a wedding planner.

My parents have put £1k towards that and OH parents are contributing £2k...so all in all, we've just had to find £3k...Bargain!!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We're aiming for about £8K. my parents have offered to pay for the reception but we don't yet know if we're going to accept their offer because they have been very critical of everything we've decided so far. If we do accept it then i suspect we'll only have to find about £4k-£5k.

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

We are hoping to do ours for about £10,000

Our venue was a bargain at £1,000 hire for exclusive use = we got such a great deal because we are getting married in october (out of wedding season) and also getting married on a sunday

I am hoping to cut down on costs where possible by shopping around and buying from the high st

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is about £16K, not including the honeymoon.

I know this may seem a lot to some people but we're happy to pay a bit extra for the most important day of our lives. To each their own though and if we couldn't afford it, I'm sure we'd have just as nice a day with a lower budget.

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

I think it's quite hard to compare budgets with other brides in other parts of the country, the prices seem to differ so much!

I think you should just focus on spending what you are happy to and can afford. I agree with you about the costs though, as our costs started mounting up I kept thinking, we could have used that money for x, y, z, but at the end of the day, we're having the wedding we want and I know I won't look back and think, oh I wish I'd got that or did that different x

(don't mean to crash, but hey Jen ? how are you?)

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Snap!

I think our budget's an awful lot too, but the main reason it's on the large side (for us anyway) is 1) because we fell in love with a slightly pricey venue and 2) purely numbers - OH and I both have very large families and close friends/family friends so it's a pretty big guest list and that really makes a difference price-wise. I'm really not spending a lot on other areas like the tog, dress, flowers etc - those are all areas I'm looking to cut back on in fact.

We're looking to do the honeymoon for a max of £3k too.

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

We spent 2K on our wedding, and i can honestly say that it was the perfect day for us. Sometimes it was tough but a classy wedding on a budget can be achieved!!!!

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

We're in this kind of bracket, although a bit more for the HM and a bit less for the actual wedding.

We also earn enough to afford this, and also have a fairly large guest list. Our parents have put some in (about £8k in total) but that's just meant we didn't have to put in as much ourselves, rather than upped the budget by that much. I don't think our budget will make our wedding any better than those on a lower budget, or worse than those furtunate enough to be on a larger budget.

As an aside, how nice and refreshing to have a budget thread where the OP doesn't get accused of being rude for asking such personal questions!

• B
    Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

One thing I've seen over the years is most couples generally all have as much fun as each other regardless of their budget.

A wedding is a wedding lasts a day but a mariage is for life so don't worry about trying to keep up with friends or relatives, just spend what you feel comfortable with.

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed, i hate it when people get annoyed at people for asking budgets, if you think its rude then dont reply!

I too think that it dosnt matter how little or how much you spend, if you are compfortable with what you are spending then thats all that matters

I have been to weddings on a budget that were fantastic and i have been to weddings where the couple have spent a fortune and they were also fantastic

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Snap tahdah!

Except mine is in Slovenia, but just like you it's around 6k including a week's holiday, two people's flights and a wedding planner.

Again, my parents are putting £1k towards it but unfortunately nothing from H2Bs.

My venue might look gorgeous, but things over there really are more affordable.

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

Wow serafina, that looks amazing ❤️

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content

Ours came to £10.5k. We were very fortunate, our parents offered to pay for the whole thing, split down the middle, and neither wanted any say in what we did. They said we could spend what we wanted, we tried to keep to £10k as we didn't want to take liberties.

We paid for the honeymoon (2 weeks tomorrow!) which came to about £3.5k including spendning money.

We realise we're very fortunate, we could have paid ourself but it would have been a much smaller budget (would still have been lovely though), and we would have had to put our honeymoon off for a while. And I doubt we'd be getting our lounge decorated right now too!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Well its nice to know there's some others out there on the same if not smaller budgets than me, Mr Moonpig is working enough overtime as it is, and I've got an interview tomorrow for a little saturday job just to make things a bit easier.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Our budget is 10k not including the honeymoon but I think its those little inexpensive personal touches that make a wedding truely memorable.

We are however paying £1800 for a 'bridal bootcamp' with a personal trainer 3 months before the wedding. Its an extravagance but after many tried and failed diets and exercise regimes we see this as an investment in our future fitness as well as looking good on our wedding day ?

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Ours is about 7-8k then 4500 for the honeymoon (not including spending but it's super all inclusive...)

• FutureMrsCover
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsCover ·
    • Hide content

We are looking at about 14k including 3.5k honeymoon, plus parents will be contributing on top, so my mum will pay for my dress and shoes etc, his mum will be making the stationary (shes very good) and hopefully my grandad and his dad will help out in some way :-)

we could do it for a lot less but we can afford to save the money so we will, but we are fortunate to both have reasonable wages and have no kids so its a bit easier too. you can spend whatever you like on a wedding but i really think its the little things that count and make it a special day with lots of thought put into it, money cant buy good taste!

x

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

We don't have a set budget. We have worked out roughly what ours is going to cost and we're just going to have what we want. I'm not one to be exessive - I'm a bit tight when i know i can get cheaper elsewhere! My parents gave us a nice cheque, my OH's dad paid for our package with the wedding planner and for all the legal stuff, OH's mum is paying for our honeymoon, my nan bought my dress. We werent expecting all this, so we're very fortunate. We've not changed out plans. All we are paying for is our 2 week holiday to Turkey for the actual wedding, the men's suits and bridemaids dresses (which i got super cheap in monsoons 70% off sale!), the food for the guests out in Turkey, and food for the after party (we're thinking hog roast or something like that, but not decided yet), OH's step dad has a large pub (should we say 'bar' to sound a bit classier?!) which we're having the after party in and he's providing a bit of fizz and we're then having a pay bar after the fizz and one free drink for all. I think it's working out pretty cheap for us, we're still saving like mad, anything left will go towards our future... we can't live in a pub forever!

I don't think it matters how much you spend, as long as it's exactly what you wanted. I doubt i would be able to tell the difference between a £10,000 to a £20,000 budget!

• emilyx1
    Beginner September 2010
    emilyx1 ·
    • Hide content

Our budget is only 2k and we will be able to have the day we want without missing anything out so it is possible on a smaler budget but saying that if we had more to spend we probably would!!

• K
    Beginner July 2010
    Karen1980 ·
    • Hide content

Our day is approx 6k and we are doing alot of it ourselves cake, flowers hair amkeup etc.. our big extravagence was the videographer and photographer.

Like many people have stated here we could have spent more but our aim is to move out of london into the country a bit with ideally an acre of land so we're prepared to save a bit now and have a small wedding with people that will really be important on the day to us.

Someone nicely stated on here that the wedding is one day and the marraige a lifetime - that is so true.

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

I don't think any of us have actually done a final calculation but it was more than I ever thought I would spend on a wedding.

Our venue was £5K and the food the same again (this included canapes and evening munch). We also put on a lot of booze for the guests too. My parents insisted on paying for all this for us otherwise we would never have afforded it.

H and I paid for everything else. We got the tog and vid cheap compared to a lot of prices we have seen and we didn't have cars - in fact I had to pay for my own taxi home. All added up though!

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

I think it all comes down to what you want! If you have things how you want them and enjoy your day it's pretty irrelevant what you paid.

Personally i think ours will come to about 18K without HM. We are lucky in that H2Bs parents are giving us 10k and my parents 5K so we don't have much to find ourselves. We didn't ask them but we are hugely grateful. We'll be spending 7-8K on the HM which we are doing all ourselves.

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

Our budget is approx 12k not including the HM, actually we haven't even looked @ locations for our HM. We are thinking about a UK Mini Moon for just us 2 then a week away somewhere & we will take our little boy with us.

My parents have given us 7k and H2B's parents have given us 3k so we don't have much to pay ourselves.

• T
    Beginner March 2010
    Tanith & Richard ·
    • Hide content

Our budget is 2k, mainly because we are not telling anyone about the wedding until they arrive and so can't ask for financial help. We are not having a honeymoon either which helps! I'm hoping that our day will be free from drama and I know that I could EASILY have spent many thousands more (try finding the dress of your dreams for £200) but I think regardless of our tiny budget it will still be the best day of our lives. I hope the surprise is worth all this effort!!!!!

• I
    Beginner February 2011
    i cant wait ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a brill idea, how on earth are you managing to keep it quiet? i just dont think i could keep my moth shut Smiley smile

• nicyx
    Beginner May 2011
    nicyx ·
    • Hide content

Ours will be round about 5k. that is for 2 weeks AI resort in Jamaica and the wedding package inc. we will just need my dress, suit and rings on top of that.
    Like previously mentioned i think its whats important to you and whats not that will help you decide on your budget. I think anything from a 1k wedding or a 20k wedding can both be just as magical. as long as people who you want are their and the venue and bits and bobs are what you want then really i dont think it matters :-) x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics