Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2017

wedding cake

Lou37, 1 of November of 2016 at 12:11 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi

I just dont know what to do about the wedding cake! Never really thought it was a biggy in terms of other things for the wedding.

I would like chocolate sponge as hate fruit cake but H2B says if its not fruit its not a proper cake lol so relented on letting him have a couple of tiers as fruit.

so next question is who makes it? I just cant justify spending £600 on a wedding cake!! A friend of a friend says they can decorate the cake if we want to buy it and another friend has offered to make and decorate but dont really want to put hat friend under the stress

so that brings me to M and S and similar type shops has anyone used their wedding cakes?? Are they nice? do they do square as single tiers as i can only find circle and in my head it has to be square? Are they reliable do they arrive when they should etc

Feel like i am starting to get stressed on something so insignificant its stupid, i know exactly in my head how i want the cake to look and it is very simple not elaborate at all but just dont want to spend the earth or equally spend little and then be dissapointed!!

8 replies

Latest activity by SoontobeMrsS, 3 of November of 2016 at 12:07
  • T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

I dont know too much about the m&s ones but try looking on Facebook for local bakers in your area, usually small business run by an individual from their home. I had a recommendation for a friend of a friend and am getting 140 people's worth of chocolate cake (simple design) for £200

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile

So... Wedding Cakes.

They can be anything you want them to be. Ours is round and a combination of Fruit, Vanilla and Chocolate.

Yes, M&S do square cakes. I can't see them online but I had a brochure at one point and I'm sure they were in there. Failing that, they do this one which is a different flavour for each tier! Smiley smile

http://www.marksandspencer.com/4-tier-elegant-assorted-wedding-cake/p/p60009426?prevPage=plp

I would definitely check with some local bakers though. My Wedding Cake is £420 which includes delivery and set up at the venue.

A lot of bakers work from home, but you need to make sure that they are legit and registered with their local council and EHO if they do. If they aren't, and your guests get ill from the cake, then they are not legally obliged to do anything. You don't need that hassle.

Just some things to think over Smiley smile I make cakes as a hobby and I know a number of professional cakers so if you need any more advice, feel free to ask Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh that square is exactly what i want!! Would you think that the ribbon with the bow would come off??

We did wait at M and S yesterday to ask for a brochure but everyone was ordering their christmas food delivery so we gave up waiting!! SO maybe that is my next job

thanks for your replies x

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi. ?

We had quite a small wedding with 24 guests but being big cake lovers we still wanted to indulge.

We bought our cake from M&S and it was a 3 tier chocolate cake with ivory icing (£199) and we absolutely loved it. The cake was really moist and we had so many compliments on the quality. You can also purchase it with 3 plain sponge tiers or a mixture of plain, choc and fruit tiers. We only stacked 2 of the tiers and kept the top one to tuck into at home.

Our cake was delivered to our local store the day before our wedding in 2 very strong cardboard boxes with lids and are so easy to stack (dowels were included.)

I highly recommend their wedding flowers too if you are looking to keep your budget small. They are also fantastically packaged and were fresh and simply stunning.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

My friend got married at the beginning of Jan & when she got home from M&S she realised the best before date was the date she'd collected it, which was a shame as it meant they couldn't really give any away / keep for a few weeks after the wedding. It was also a bit damaged but I think that's probably just bad luck as I do know others who've been very happy.

My future FIL is making ours! No idea what yet, but he seems confident! He has cooked for the Queen in the RAF a number of times so I am trying to be chilled about it being a complete mystery! ?

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

That what puts me off a bit chapples is the best before date!

i did notice before they do sample taster cakes that sounds like a fun afternoon!

wow what a fab FIL you have!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

M&S do sample cakes so you can taste the different flavours ?and yes square too!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    SunnyGreenConfetti675 ·
    • Hide content

My friend when she got married last year bought two tier cake from M&S. I decorated it and made cupcakes which also matched. If your friend is willing to make the cake I would let her - I'm lucky my SIL is making my cake and she is brilliant.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

I've tasted more than one M+S cake and they've always been brilliant! Make sure you check it before you leave the store.

They do this:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/3-tier-elegant-assorted-wedding-cake/p/p60009441?prevPage=plp

(bows are removable if you don't like them) which seems quite reasonable. You could ask your florist if they could decorate it with a few fresh flowers, or just buy a quirky topper.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics