Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner January 1999

Wedding cake cost

irrelephant, 31 of January of 2012 at 13:50

Posted on Planning 50

I am pondering my wedding cake. We can't afford a splurge on the cake and I've been adamant all along that I was just going to get the tiers from M&S and put them together myself and then take them to the venue on the morning of the wedding. BUT they don't do a chocolate tier, and I want a...

I am pondering my wedding cake. We can't afford a splurge on the cake and I've been adamant all along that I was just going to get the tiers from M&S and put them together myself and then take them to the venue on the morning of the wedding. BUT they don't do a chocolate tier, and I want a chocolate tier as well as the sponge and fruit tiers. Also putting it together and delivering it myself will be a hassle and it can't be left there the day before. So i've been thinking about seeing if I could find a baker/ cake make maker to do it for us but can't afford the costs. I did ask D if his cousin (a chef) might do it for us but he lives in australia and D reckons he won't want to be messing around with a cake in the week before the wedding, even without the time it takes to make a fruit cake. D's mum won't let me make my own cake, so thats out of the question.

So my questions:

What are you paying for your cake?

Did you barter with the cake maker?

50 replies

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Frandy, i am 99.9% sure that only the fruit cakes from M&S had marzipan. The madeira and chocolate sponges didnt as, like you, i dont like marzipan.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will be getting the cakes from the M&S nearest my mum's house. If you're taking the cakes off the boards then its probably still better to have the dowels. Experience of transporting cakes has taught me that no matter how well it might be packaged there is no guarantee it will arrive in one piece undamaged.

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I transport cakes long distances you just have to know a few tricks I think.

DWC if you want to contact me with your budget I will see if I can help. you can find me on FB look for Julie Smith's cakes or email me at

****@************.**.**

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    Kitles123 ·
    • Hide content

I just got another quote for the 5 tier cake I want, £450. Think this is reasonable as I was previously quoted £610.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jules, thanks, I will email you in a minute.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG!!! How can she justify £775???

Ours was 3 tiers: 1 carrot and 2 choclate and cost £155 - made by an award-winning Leeds-based, one-woman band baker!

• A
    Beginner June 2011
    Anne! ·
    • Hide content

DWC-I used Jules40 for my cake -it was delicious and I'm sure she will be able to work in your budget. She may be able to deliver to preston but with ours we were getting married a bit further afield so she packaged it all up and it got there in 1 piece! The lemon cake in particular was delicious and my oh and I missed out on it on our wedding day as it was so popular!

HTH

Edited

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its ok I have been quoted £180 by one cake maker. Not for a cake but for one tier of fruit cake and two DUMMY cakes made of polystyrene! I could make the same cake myself for less than £40! I told her I thought she was an extortionate thief for that.

Anne, thanks. I think Jules might be able to help so thanks for the good review Smiley smile

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

Mine is my avatar, 4 tier 2 lemon and 2 vanilla. With transport from Macclesfield - £300.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I thought it was pretty standard for venues to assemble cakes,is it not? I dropped mine off the day before and never gave it another thought

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it depends on the venue. I have asked my venue if they would do it if needed and they said yes but that they are not experts and take no responsibility if anything should happen to the cake. Which is partly why i'm trying so desperately to find someone who can make and assemble it on the day for me! Its not that I don't trust the chef, its just I have such awful OCD and trust issues that I know I will be stressing about it all (its a real illness for me, not just being bridezilla by the way ha ha. Before you all think i'm some sort of mental bride with control issues)

• stacieowen
    Beginner August 2012
    stacieowen ·
    • Hide content

We were thinking exactly like you, i think wedding cakes are way overpriced for what they are and i was very reluctant to pay out for something i don't particularly even like.

So we've now spoken with our caterers and there going to do us 3 big cakes, were thinking Coffee and Walnut, Carrot Cake and Chocolate Cake all for £60 which i think is a bargain and a lot more tasty than normal wedding cake!

So my advice is maybe try going to the people who are already going the food for your wedding, maybe they can do something at a reasonable price : )

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Stacie our wedding is in house catered and they don't do wedding cakes.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I fully understand having been there and maybe that explains now why Hs mum doesn't want you to make the cake and have the worry of it, however doing that might give you some control back. I also think that you might NEED to assemble it yourself on the day to be sure it is ok. Are there any wedding fairs coming up near you where you could meet a cake maker and discuss it with them. Maybe they could send you a photo by text when it's assembled

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Yes I think that is partly why MiL is reluctant for me to make the cake. She knows just how much it might drive me over the edge ha ha. Don't even get me started on the cold sweat I break out in thinking about the fact I have to trust the wedding co-ordinator to decorate the room for me on the morning of the wedding. They have a wedding the day before ours and we wouldn't be able to get into the room before 10.30 am and the ceremony is at 1pm down the road.

Although I actually quite enjoy baking and icing cakes, so I think it might give me something else other than the worry to focus on IYSWIM? Either way, MiL would prefer M&S or cake maker I think. Its probably for the best TBH.

And as we don't live near the venue we can't go to their wedding fair there today either.

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    Kitles123 ·
    • Hide content

Flamin Nora your cake is so pretty, when is your big day?

• K
    katebaking ·
    • Hide content

Cake prices can vary for a lot of reasons. A lot of time and effort goes into a cake and this is reflected in the price. Plus there will also be differences in price if you order your cake from a small business who works from home against someone who has a store, as they have more over heads which have to be accounted for. I would suggest before you even go to a baker you take a look at the "cake stacker" app at http://www.cakestacker.bakingit.com. Work out the logistics of your cake, how many tiers, what size, how many portions, what shape. Being able to change the portion sizes on this app is great (just make sure whoever cuts the cake has a guide) as you can go smaller to save some pennies. You don't want a massive slab of cake at a wedding like you would going out for coffee. Once you know this you can then work on the design aspect with your baker and you will be able to get a price per serving. Once you see this your cake doesn't often seem as expensive as you think.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics