Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2011

Wedding cake nightmare!

slewts, 2 June, 2011 at 18:00 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi, I'm getting married on Saturday and have just gone to pick up my cake, and am a bit gutted as it's not what I wanted. A friend from work has made it for me, and whilst it's OK mostly, there are a couple of issues I have. The main one is it is nowhere near big enough to feed our 90 guests (its an 8", 6" and 4" round tiered cake). The other issues are that it's a bit wonky, and as there is buttercream inside I'm worried it will slip further. One tier is much deeper than another, and in general it looks very home made. I don't think I could actually replace it, as whilst the person who made it can't come to the wedding, other people from work are so she will see photos. She is so lovely, and has given it me for nothing so I'm feeling torn about what to do.

I need to buy an extra cake, at least for cutting up, or maybe to put underneath the others and make a 4 tier cake. I just looked at waitrose and m&s online and they both need more notice to ordr anything than I have got (less than 48 hours!) HELP!!!! What should I do? The florist is making a cake topper with gerberas on, plus I am having trailing orchids in my bouquet so could maybe put those around the most wonky tier. Other than that I'm stuck!

Thanks for reading,

Sarah x

PS: I live on the Stockport / Manchester border if anyone knows of a good cakemaker that does last minute jobs...

6 replies

Latest activity by SaSaSi, 3 June, 2011 at 10:17
  • MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

Buy a load of cupcakes from a local supermarket and put them on a stand next to the cake, too?

Orrrr buy some of those ready made 'celebration cakes' (or even some chocolate ones/sponge ones and let guests choose) to keep in the back for when the cake runs out?

The cake might actually not run out; not everyone eats wedding cake!

....just looked up the sizes and realised how tiny it is...sorry! There's a local cafe where I live that only needs 24hrs notice. Try ringing round bakeries/cafes?!

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh dear - sorry to hear that, but don't panic.

If you can't get a local baker to help it sounds like an emergency cup cake shopping trip is in order or as M&M said get celebration type cake from the supermarket and cut that up too - most people won't notice that it isn't the same cake!!

Good Luck

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I think it WILL probably be plenty, even if it doesn't look like it.

We had 100 guests, budgeted cake to feed 80 and do you know what we've been living on for the last almost-fortnight? CAKE! There was loads leftover. Fret not. Go to Waitrose and get one of their Innabox Cakes to have as a spare if you're really worried. WRT the look of the cake your friend has made, try to focus on the loveliness of her gesture and I'm sure you'll find that in the long run, that means more to you than the aesthetics of the cake.

• *Marmite*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Marmite* ·
    • Hide content

Hi. Most M&S have the plain White fruit cakes ready to buy on the shelves at the moment. I work there and my one does. I'd recommend ringing up first though. HTH x

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Tesco also do white iced fruit cakes which you can just buy instore - hope you manage to get something sorted out in time

Have a wonderful day on Saturday ?

Alison x

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Try some of the cupcake shops in Didsbury- lollicakes, the dish ran away with the spoon and airy fairy cupckaes are all really good.

x

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Get to a local baker for a couple of cake slabs that can be cut in the back - youve no need for another 'presentation cake' & slabs will be cheaper.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics