Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2014

Wedding Cake size?

loopy_linzi003, 25 of February of 2014 at 20:13 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone, just looking for a little advice really. The venue have changed our package to now include our wedding cake, I have had some rough dimensions from the cake supplier and I can basically pic any cake i like which she will scale to size to be included in the venue package? The dimensions she has given me for a 3 tier cake are a 8" a 6" and a 4" cake which are all 3-4" in height. It will serve 50 people which is all we need but this seems small to me for a wedding cake. I had already planned to buy the marks and spencer ready made cakes which you decorate yourself (purely because cake isn't something we are fussed about but having one to keep with wedding tradition.) The venue have said i can take the cake off the package price and provide my own if i wish but i'm just a little stuck on what to do.

Obviously if the cake is provided by them it will be set up ready without me having to worry and if i go for the original planned MandS cake i will have to set it up on the morning of the wedding. A job i don't mind doing but would be another thing i didn't have to worry about if done the way.

Any opinions on cake dimensions or if you know what sizes yours were or going t be would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you xx

4 replies

Latest activity by halechap, 25 of February of 2014 at 21:23
  • mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

Our cake is for 50 people and our 3 tiers are going to be 6", 9" and 12" - we trusted our cake maker's recommendations.

• RockabillyBaker
    Curious August 2014
    RockabillyBaker ·
    • Hide content

Portion sizes are affected by two things, the shape of the cake - you get more with square and the sponge type - you get more with fruit.

Assuming you are ordering a vanilla sponge circular cake and you want the typical portion size of 1"x 2" then you can get

4" - serves 5

6" - serves 12

8" - serves 24

In order to get to 50 servings the bakery is probably offering 1" x 1" portion, so then you get

4" - serves 10

6" - serves 20

8" - serves 40

This portion size however is typically only used for fruit cake. I hope this helps.

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

we are having 10 fruit 8 choc and 6 lemon and this is to feed up and over 80. How much have they said they will knock off ? would it be worth asking other cake makers for costings ? mine is costing 170

Fruit cake serves more than sponge

Hayley

• L
    Beginner June 2014
    loopy_linzi003 ·
    • Hide content

I am not too worried about how many it serves as we are serving it with the buffet and cake add to the portions if needed. I think because i had a plan in my head and that's now changed i've freaked a bit. Like i said we are too fussy on how the cake looks but don't want the over all 3 tier cake to look really little when we come to cut it. So i suppose in a way we are a little bothered how it looks lol, if you know what i mean. They are allowing me to take £200.00 off the package price if we don't have the cake, not talked fruit or sponge yet as i was a bit taken back at the measurements she gave me. Again we weren't too fussed about the price as the package they are now given us is cheaper than what we had booked with our original wedding planner (who left without updating details on our booking contract, i think the venue are just covering their own backs and given us the package so they know exacly what we are getting.)

xx

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content

We are also having ours on a stand so hopefully it will look slightly bigger

Hayley x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics