Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsB88
Beginner August 2015

Wedding cake vs cupcake tower

MrsB88, 2 of April of 2014 at 18:43 Posted on Planning 0 12

So i have a regular 'cake lady' who i get all my cakes from for special occassions etc. Was very disapointed when she told me she doesn't do wedding cakes but she does cupcake towers! Decided i wanted a traditional tiered wedding cake so started looking elsewhere. However since i've been researching & getting quotes i've had the cupcake tower idea at the back of my mind. So I emailed my cake lady today for a quote & shes more than half the price of quotes i've got for cakes. She also goes to the venue & sets the cupcake tower & going to have a top cake to cut. I can also really relax knowing she will be doing it as I know her cakes are amazing in taste & presentation. Also another plus i thought was that if cupcakes are left on the tables, we can put them out with the evening buffet. And if any are still left we can take them home. Wheras when a cake is cut it starts to dry out after a while so i feel alot more will be wasted.

What are your thoughts on cupcake towers??

12 replies

Latest activity by ClaireD*, 4 of April of 2014 at 23:24
  • Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

I was originally going to get a cupcake tower; I think some of the decorations are soooo cute. I've since changed my mind and gone for a traditional cake because I fell in love with a pink one. I had to hunt high and low for a reasonable quote though. I think I'm also drawn to a traditional cake because of the cutting but you can still cut the top tier. Technically I need a cutting bar to cater for all my guests as we're only having 3 tiers but I might actually get some cupcakes instead.

Sounds like you have made your mind up - your supplier sounds fab so no wonder you want to use her.

• bamboo
    Beginner September 2014
    bamboo ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for a cupcake tower since the majority of our guests are family and none of them (men and OH included) like traditional wedding cakes. Plus they all dislike the icing on the cakes so cupcakes it is,

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

We are having a cupcake tower. Everyone gets a cupcake with the evening food and like you, we will take any spare home and distribute to nieces and nephews. As long as there is a cake on top to cut for photographs I think cupcakes are the way to go. I HATE icing of wedding cakes so another reason we are having cupcakes x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What about this - sort of wedding cake - cup cake mix

Or baby wedding cakes

• N
    Beginner October 2014
    Nicola_25 ·
    • Hide content

I was originally having a cupcake tower but then I really wanted a normal style wedding cake, we are now having both! oops Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I much prefer wedding cakes to cupcake towers, but if there's a big difference in price and you like them then go for it.

Sounds like your mind is made up anyway Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Were having a cup cake tower as I want people to take a cake rather than cutting something and it being left on tables.

Heres mine xx

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replys guys! Bill that cake is beautiful! I think i have made up my mind yes, was jut curious to other peoples thoughts x

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I think go with your cake lady!!! :-)

• H
    Beginner April 2014
    holalisa ·
    • Hide content

I think cupcakes are becoming increasingly popular now. I have been to a few weddings in the past few years that have had them and they work so well, which is why we decided to do the same. It saves having to cut small pieces off a cake for everyone too. Ours is cream and brown colours, with alternating chocolate cake with cream swirl/madeira cake with chocolate swirl.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Cupcake towers are really popular and we have seen many different coloured icing that nearly always gets eaten! It seems that there is much less waste from cupcakes! Yum!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

I chose a cupcake tower for the following reasons:

1) I have always grabbed a cupcake at a wedding, but never bothered seeking out a small square of something cut up.

2) Cupcakes seem to be bigger than that small square you get given from a traditional cake (being greedy there)

3) I thought it seemed a ridiculous hassle to cut up a massive cake, and pictured it drying out, abandoned.

4) Cupcake towers just look darn cool

5) We went for 3 different flavours of cupcake, which seemed great - OPTIONS!

6) Buttercream icing is much more yummy than that formal cake stuff

7) We thought we'd put the tower in the vacinity where the evening buffet will be - so any left over ones might be grabbed later on if someone wants something sweet after round-two of food.

And you know what, we had no idea that cupcake towers turned out to be cheaper than traditional cakes. We were pretty darn happy with that surprise!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics