Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire

Wedding Cancelled

RomanticGreenStationery27135, 30 of May of 2020 at 10:20 Posted on Planning 0 6

We were hoping against hope that the next round of lockdown reviews would enable weddings to take place with the legal minimum 2 witnesses, but there are no changes. Since the next review isn't due until after our wedding date, we have no choice but to cancel. And no idea when we might be able to marry, since they won't even discuss a possible timeline - lots of plans for opening up shops, leisure facilities and sporting venues, but zero comment on weddings.

And what makes me SO angry is that they say they can't lift lockdown because the infection rate isn't falling - but the reason it isn't falling is because so many people are ignoring the rules. Every day, I walk past big groups of people having picnics, sunbathing, partying in their gardens, living life just how they want. While those of us who follow the rules are stuck in isolation, with nothing to look forward to.

I know we're in the same position as thousands of others, but it doesn't make it any less painful. Just need somewhere to vent - family and friends who haven't been listening to the news as closely as we have keep insisting there 'must be some way' we can still marry on our chosen date, which just makes it even more painful. Sorry for the rant - just needed to let it out! Hugs to everyone else who is in this horrible situation xxx

6 replies

Latest activity by Zara, 31 of March of 2021 at 00:28
  • S
    Beginner
    SunnyGoldHair95974 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry this happened to you and can only imagine how you are feeling, it's totally understandable for it to feel awful as it is a grief in a way. It's a worrying time for all of us, mine isn't until later in the year so am worried myself but I feel so much for people who have summer weddings.

I dont understand why they havent even mentioned the possibility of when weddings may resume to be honest especially as they are discussing bars etc opening. I can only hope more will follow in the coming weeks

I get what you mean about people not understanding, it does feel a very lonely situation apart from on forums like these as it feels like people either dont want to discuss it to avoid upsetting us or as if it isn't a priority which to people like us who have put our heart into that one day it means so much.

Sending hugs i know it doesnt really help x

• R
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - spent most of yesterday in tears, not helped by two local households having parties in their back gardens with 20+ people...and they wonder why the infection rate isn't falling! Feel like we'll be 100 before we can get married at this rate!

• W
    Beginner June 2020
    Weddingbee123 ·
    • Hide content

So sorry , we have postponed our June wedding we had hoped we could get legally get married at the registry office on our original day as it is our anniversary weekend but we were told we couldn’t so I know how you feel . I know there may be nothing much that can make you feel better but you’re not alone I promise! And we are all here if you need a vent!! If you need to have a cry, have a cry it’s not easy and yes, I agree it’s frustrating the amount of people ignoring the rules! Xxx

• R
    • Hide content

Sending hugs to you too - so sorry your wedding has had to be postponed x

• D
    Beginner October 2020 West Midlands
    David ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear that... makes me so mad when i see people partying and enjoying themselves.. almost seems at our expense. And then having the wedding suppliers being difficult with refunds as well. We are in a huge argument with our venue who want ignore the government advice to give us a full refund???
    We are thinking about hiring these guys to get our money back. https://www.refundmywedding.co.uk/

Did you have issues getting your refund when you cancelled?

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fortunately for us, we only had a small wedding planned and our reception was at a local pub so the deposit wasn't huge. They've agreed we can put it toward a future meal there (we got married with a short, simple ceremony just after the restrictions lifted, but receptions were still banned, so we'd like to have a meal to celebrate at some point - we had 12 guests, some of whom drove 3 hours to get to us and we couldn't even offer them a glass of water, the restrictions were so strict! And everyone had to leave immediately after the ceremony, so it would be nice to a)thank them for coming and b) catch up properly!).

We've lost a bit on invites/orders of service/dress deposit, but otherwise, it hasn't been too bad for us. I do hope you manage to get your refunds.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics