Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner August 2016

Wedding car hire

LauraLtobe, 25 of August of 2015 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 9

We booked our date and venue yesterday! So it's now onto the next issue...

How much have your wedding cars cost? There will be 8 people in my bridal party, including my parents so may have to hire two cars or have the one car do multiple trips.

We are playing with the idea of hiring a bus to take guests to the ceremony and then to the reception (my OHs family will all be in an area they haven't been before as we're getting married in my home town) so they don't have to worry about getting lost or parking. I was thinking that this bus could then come back for me and be my wedding car. One of the buses the company has is one my grandad used to drive (he passed away a couple of years ago) so it would be lovely to have this as my transport too. However they've quoted us £700 and I think that's just for one journey so thinking this maybe a bit costly.

9 replies

Latest activity by Jack, 13 of May of 2023 at 15:09
  • Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Mines slightly different as I'm having everything in one place, but we are having one wedding car for me and my dad which is costing £100, then I've booked a taxi to take my mum and 3 bridesmaids which will be around £15.

Our car is a merc though not a vintage one - didn't see the point when no-one would see it!

I'm afraid I cant comment on the bus price!

xXx

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going down the traditional route of travelling to the ceremony with just me and dad. I'm going to the ceremony in a stretched hummer limo with both sets of parents, 4 bridesmaids, my sister-in-law and nephew, so 11 of us in total. The limo seats up to 13 people and is costing £395 for approximately 3 hrs. It will bring us all back to the reception too. My OH is being taken to the ceremony by my brother and will obviously come back in the limo with us all.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If you weigh up how many people to transport it might not seem as bad if it covers everyone to the ceremony and then to reception. One journey seems a bit pricey". AS YOu say lovely to have your grandads bus but I would get other quotes.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £600. I know its A LOT but I've got a big ball gown frock and I didn't like the idea of squashing myself into a standard saloon car and arriving at the church with the skirt of my dress up round my ears. So we've booked a Brantford Classic, which was £400. Then my Mum said we HAD to have a second car, even though it would seat me, her the BMs and Dad, because I HAD to go to the church with just my Dad. So she has paid for a second Brantford Classic which was an extra £200.

In fairness though, these 2 cars will collect his Mum, partner, Aunty and Cousins, my OH and his entourage, my Mum and BMs and my Dad and I - then do a couple of trips from the church to the reception with guests whilst we go off in our car for photos.

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I think first you should find out if your quote is just for one trip as you said. Plus it sounds as if you are keen on the idea as it links in your granddad which is a lovely touch. You can then compare more effectively with other companies or means of transport just to give yourself more options.

I only had 4 in my bridal party so I hired a London black taxi for £80 but it was a very very short journey. However when I was looking into wedding car companies I was getting quoted for nothing less than £400 for a mile journey so that was a definite no-no !!

Good luck with your planning - enjoy ?

• heli-c
    Beginner October 2015
    heli-c ·
    • Hide content

I'd looked at campervans as wedding cars and found they were around £300-400. That was for the whole day but with a limit on mileage and I think it was £1 a mile after the first 50 miles, or something similar! Though in the end a friend with a vintage car offered to chaufeur us as a wedding gift!

When you consider that a bus could carry a lot more people I suppose the price difference makes sense. I would definately get more quotes as you could take better quotes back to the original company with the bus that your grandad drove and ask if they would match it! I imagine that to have that bus would be a wonderful sentiment to your Grandad.

If it really is way over budget maybe the guests using the bus wouldn't mind chipping in a little?

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

We have ended up with a classic Beauford as we got one at just £40 more than the cheapest car for rent and decided we might as well upgrade!

That is for 2 journeys there, a journey back via the local park and unlimited time for less than £300.

We have an out of season discount though and did some negotiation between companies etc.

A few things that will help:

1. Look at all types of transport - we found the nicer transport not mucn more expensive than a merc/chrysler

2. Look at trips needed - some will calculate by trips, some by miles - it can make a difference

3. Hidden costs! One deal maker with our supplier is that it is a fixed price. Most suppliers hire by time periods. So one was £250 for 3 hours but £50 every 15 minutes we went over on the day. I felt very nervous about this as you never know what can happen and we wanted to stop off for photos on the way to the reception too.

4. 1 or 2 cars? We are having 2 trips, one car. One company said we HAD to have 2 cars for the one trip which would have cost £200 more! Work out space/what you ideally want and what you would put up with.

5. Get lots of quotes from lots of places - then work down to 2 or 3 good quotes that offer what you want.

If you definitely want to use the bus company see what other 'packages' they could offer to reduce costs... usually time/mileage/vehicle can make a difference. Don't be afraid to ask - you might be surprised!

Hope this helps - we found the car tricky as we couldn't justify a large cost but are very happy we paid a few pound extra for a better car and better service. Good luck!

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

This is our car - it's costing us £250 and that's for 2 trips to the church and then me and H2B from church to the reception. We met the lovely retired owner at a Wedding Fayre and feel like we are getting a good deal Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our deal is the same ad this ^^^. Most of the companies were more than this and some said we needed to hire two cars. We had considered hiring a bus for our guests but it was too expensive plus if they left their cars at the church how would they get home from the reception venue?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics