Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Cloud9*
Beginner August 2013

wedding car hire - need a remortgage!!!!!!

*Cloud9*, 11 of May of 2012 at 14:48 Posted on Planning 0 18

Blimey...... wedding = noughts I think!! Just rang up to get a quote to hire a sports car (Lambourgini) as a surprise to get my OH to the wedding venue on the big day (I'm staying at the venue the night before). The hire company chap said, quite cheerfully, it will be £1100 !!!!!! WOWSERS. I think he will have to make do with taking his own car. I'm in shock at the cost. Is this how much they are????????

18 replies

Latest activity by Ian, 28 of April of 2023 at 07:22
  • Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

Holy Moley! this is exactly why I'm turning up in my Rover! To cut costs on hiring cars!
    I didn't realize they were this expensive though! x

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I had a similar shock last week, the company I emailed said for an Aston Martin (the car my OH aspires to have one day!) the cost will be £1750 - this was for 2 hours ?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If you keep an eye out on groupon they sometimes have deals for hiring sports cars although would be a gamble of it being available on your wedding.

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content

I reckon as soon as you mention wedding the pound signs start flashing !!!!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Ouch ! ?

Does it need to be a sports car ?

I've mentioned it before but what about something different -ie movie/muscle car ?

https://fordmustangwedding.co.uk/

https://www.starcarhire.co.uk/

My OH has a 1970's mustang ( not on any of these sites ) and it has been used for proms and must recently as surprise wedding transport for the groom, OH said it was well received.

L x

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

You have to remember how much these cars cost in the first place. The boring bit - cars depreciate the most in the 1st 12 months from registration. Customers will want a new model so they do have a shelf life, buyers of them don't want a car like this (especially if driven by OH's as the chances are they won't be sticking to the speed limit!). Make sure you check what is being quoted, is it chauffered or OH to drive etc.

As for classics trust me they cost a fortune to keep running, some parts have to be made as there become so few.

Sorry work in the industry. I do agree that costs are very high but then people will pay the price. If demand is there then they will keep charging it. Shop around, I wanted a campervan and was quoted £500 for what would have been a 30 minute drive - managed to get one for £150 instead, and they are doing exactly what we wanted.

*Cloud9* - why don't you get him a track day instead, would be much more fun as he wouldn't have to keep to the 'rules'.

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content

ESW I do take your point on how much these cars cost to buy and insure etc. But it was for two hours hire with a chauffeur not OH driving. But even so 1K for two hours hire ??? Some may pay it but not me that's for sure. It was only going to a little surprise treat for him but not at that price.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly what you mean, I wasn't going to pay that amount, especially knowing what some charge for a Jag for a day I could get it for a month!

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content

I will shop around and see what I can do cheaper. It was just as a little surprise, and the venue isn't far away so if he doesn't have a fancy car its no drama, and certainly isn't anything we have accounted for. But I just wanted to surprise him, I know how boys love their toys!!

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

The sports car hire fees are ridiculous I agree!

We didn't know what we wanted looked at sports car with the £££££££ hire charge and scrapped that

Looked at jags, traditional wedding cars etc/ and none in our area had even a price estimate on their website which does my head in!

We have got our wedding car bookednow, a 1947 police car which cost a lot less than expected for 3 trips to church, trip to venue for me and H2B and photos Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

A close friend of mine has done corporate driving for a company for years and knows London and surrounding counties like the back of his hand. he is currently buying a Jaguar and "going it alone" and is interested in wedding work. Please feel free to message me for his details if this is of any interest.

Peter

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    mamasmurf ·
    • Hide content

I got an "executive car" for my wedding car, as i went literally 10 mins down the road, and couldn't justify the cost of a wedding car

I got a beautiful E class mercedes, that they decorated with ribbons for me and a driver in a lovely suit for £30!!

And the money i saved paid for a welcome drink for my guests!

Mel x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Do you not know anyone with a nice car? Maybe a friend of a friend even?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Dear god! This is just one of the reasons we decided to have everything in one location and that I would spend the night before there!

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content

It was just a vague idea I'd had which I thought would be nice. OH has a really nice merc so he was planning on going in that anyway. I had thought I would surprise him on the day but at £1100 then now I think not!! I will look round and see if any cheaper hire anywhere else. I had thought a sports car as it was something different and knew he would enjoy it. But not a biggy if he gets himself there.

• *Cloud9*
    Beginner August 2013
    *Cloud9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Snap ... I'm staying at the venue the night before. 100 quid for hotel room much cheaper than car hire!!

• T
    Beginner
    The Ferrari Lady ·
    • Hide content

It's a shame, really, as hiring a lovely car is an integral part of a wedding, I think, plus it is something out of the ordinary. I hire classic cars at very reasonable prices, because I love cars and driving, but am also a professional, and have to charge accordingly! Still, I charge about £100 less than some of my competitors, yet still hear of people who think all they have to do to set up a wedding car business is buy a Merc and undercut all the professionals, thereby undermining the whole profession, because these people won't have put in the hours of work and effort to get where they are. Oh well, sorry about the rant!

• T
    Beginner
    The Ferrari Lady ·
    • Hide content

For new models, maybe - but it does seem rather steep. I hire out a classic 80s 'Magnum' Ferrari 308 with myself as chauffeur, a very popular car with grooms, and I charge less than many of my competitors do for their main bridal cars, a lot of which are not even genuine classics, but Beaufords etc. However, I still get people wanting the car for about £100, which means I have to do all the preparation (driving the route beforehand), the paperwork, then the running costs per mile of a Ferrari (service - between £200 and £2000, new clutch - £600 - £800, tune-up £120, fuel ££££, my uniform costs, dry-cleaning, wedding-related insurance, public liability, tax, MOT, advertising, promotion, marketing - the list goes on) plus I have to make a profit if it's going to work as a business! I also offer a well-prepared, professional service with great attention to detail, and often wonder if I should in fact be charging more! (But not £1100!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics