Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner October 2007

Wedding cars

nic, 10 May, 2010 at 16:33 Posted on Planning 0 13

Just wondering if anyone could give their opinions on wedding cars. I love the idea of turning up in a beautiful car and having the lovely pictures however i am having a civil wedding and reception all at the same hotel. We live in gorgeous countryside and have opted for a hotel close to home. It is literally a five minute journey from my parents house and dont feel we can justify the massive expense for such a short journey. What do you think? Does anyone have any ideas on alternatives? My parents have a ford Mondeo and my partner and I have a vecta so neither are very glamourous but would use them if a fancy car is just hype. Any ideas?

13 replies

Latest activity by cassmk2, 11 May, 2010 at 14:50
  • M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi Nic,

We're having a civil cermony at our reception venue and are having a car. I was planning on staying at the hotel the night before the wedding but the more I thought about it I realised I would probably regret not having one. I love the glamour of wedding cars and the excitement of seeing one go past and seeing the bride inside. I know it is an additional (and unnecessary) expense however it's something I really want. The car will take my Mum and bridesmaids from my parents house to the venue then come back for me and my Dad. Then after the ceremony they will take me and my H (as he will be then ?) for a drive round for 20-30 mins so we can enjoy some champagne and have some time alone.

Ultimately it's your decision, if you want a car have one, you're only going to do it once!!

As an alternative do you have any friends who have nice cars? My friends got married a few years ago and they have a friend who works for Mercedes so he borrowed a car from work and took them to the venue (they were having the ceremony and reception at the same venue)

This is my car...

xxx

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't bother, no one sees you get out of the car anyway! Spend your money elsewhere

• alexxinness
    Beginner September 2008
    alexxinness ·
    • Hide content

If ur h2b is staying at the hotel and it is just you do ui know n e one who has a niceish car seems silly to hire just for a 5 min journey ir cant you find some black cab taxi's?

x

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a civil ceremony and i wasnt going to have a wedding car. My sister is getting us a limo purely because i have 4 bms, 1 page boy, me and my dad to get to the venue which is half an hour away from home so we only have to do the one trip!

Im hiring a vw campervan as a surprise to take oh and groomsmen but we are really only getting the cars as its a half hour trip. Also, we get to keep the camper overnight so we can bomb around in it the next day lol.

No ones going to see me get out of it so i too wouldnt be able to justify the expense!!!

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

I say if you want it...go for it!! Price around for cars in the area. you may be able to get hire prices for an hour!! have a wee check and see!

• H
    Beginner
    honesty ·
    • Hide content

I was quoted 1200 for a 30 minute journey using 3 cars, nobody see's the cars as they are in the ceremony waiting for you to arrive, so ditched the car idea and using the 1200 for a family holiday instead

• N
    Beginner October 2007
    nic ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your replies. We have been quoted an average of £500 for 1 car which for a 2mile journey just cant be justified so i think i will leave it. If we were having a 30 min journey i wouldn't give it a second thought but the fact you can virtually see the venue from my parents house just seems silly. Lots of luck with planning your big days. Enjoy xxx

• G
    Beginner July 2010
    Gwyn4940 ·
    • Hide content

I too have decided to not have a car. No one would see me arrive so would only be used deliberately for photos. I decided to consider how many glasses of champagne not having a car would buy! I am considering just getting a normal cab so we can all enjoy a glass of champers while we get ready.

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

Why not look at getting a white wedding Taxi gogle search there is lots and not that badly priced, also if you call around some car places do an hour rate.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

We are having two 1930's Beauford Tourers and they were £650 for the two of them. That includes fetching my OH, MIL2B, FIL2B, BM & BLM (Best Littleman - nephew) from his house, then the two come back for my mum, bro, BM's, PB's & CBM, and then one comes back for me and my daddy. One stay at the church then until we are married and takes us to the reception ?

Personally if we were getting married all in one place we wouldn't have bothered having cars. Have you got any friends that have any fancy cars? x

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

We're also getting married and having the reception in one place. I'm staying in the venue, with my Mum and bridesmaids, the night before.

OH's Dad has a nice Jag and his best man has an old Defender so I though he might arrive in one of those. The Defender would be a nice personal touch as OH has helped maintain it IYSWIM. Could also make some interesting photos.

• N
    Beginner October 2007
    nic ·
    • Hide content

Problem solved ladies. My dad bumped into his second cousin yesterday who doesn't live in our area anymore but was visitng relatives. They were doing the old family catch up thing and my dad mentioned i was getting married. To my dads surprise he mentioned he set up a horse and carriage company last year and would do our wedding and would only charge us £100. We had previously been quoted £750 for a similar thing. Thanks for all your advice xx

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

That's a great outcome for you. I am getting married and having my reception in the same venue and decided against cars and me and my BM's are going to get ready at the venue. But then i saw my neighbour getting married last weekend and fell in love with her wedding cars.

I looked into it and but the cost has made my decision. I cannot justify £800 for 2 cars to take us 15 minutes down the road. I would rather put the money to use somewhere else.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics