Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner December 2012

Wedding date worry!!

Venice2011, 29 November, 2011 at 21:42 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here having got engaged on my Birthday (14.11.11) in Venice to my wonderful man Gareth! Our dilemma is.. having found a rustic converted rural barn perfect for the venue, church wedding also rural and on a hill we would love to have a winter wedding and in a moment of excitement provisionally booked both for 1.12.12 HOWEVER family are now worried about possibe snow-would be impossible to get to these venues! I know we cant control the weather but am so torn between throwing caution to the wind or playing the safer option and waiting till early spring 2013....I cant face an earlier wedding in 2012 as am already feeling overwhelmed with what needs to be planned!

Help advice & your views would be more appreciated as I cant sort anything else until we have a definate date and am slowly losing the will!!! ?

Thanks

Kate & Gareth xx

17 replies

Latest activity by Venice2011, 1 December, 2011 at 16:55
  • MonaLisaBrideToBe
    Beginner June 2012
    MonaLisaBrideToBe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello and Welcome to Hitched! Congratulations on your Engagement! ?

Its so hard when it comes to the weather, we are having a June wedding and then a mini moon afterwards. We are delaying our honeymoon until December 2012 as we are going to New York to Christmas as I have always wanted to go there for the festive season!

The worry is the weather, will we be able to get to the airport? Will the flight be grounded by snow? When we get there will we be able to get to hotel? Will we be able to get around?? The list goes on but we really wanted it and so we have booked it!

Follow your heart but also weigh up the pros and cons, write them in a list ans then talk them through one by one!

Would you consider going for a Spring wedding?

Good Luck & Enjoy!!

• H
    Beginner December 2012
    hummingbird ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

Welcome Smiley smile I agree with the previous poster, follow your heart and just book what you want when you want it and just deal with the logistics Smiley smile

We are getting married on 12.12.12 , and we have booked a venue for the evening that is exactly where the highland meet the lowlands in Scotland. I too am worried about the logistics , ( in case of bad weather) about getting there after the ceremony but my OH has creatively thought that if it is bad he will have a spare few hundred in the bank in case he has to phone a farmer to come and plough the road lol.

What i'm saying is the old cliche.... where there is a will there is a way Smiley smile do your day the way you want it, hopefully you'll only do it once xx

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

Depends where you are really - Scotland is far more of a risk than the southern part of the country. Snow in early December is relatively rare though, so not a major risk and there has been disruptive spring as late as early April where I live (Devon).

Wedding insurance would cover you if over a certain percentage of your guests can't attend (so especially if you can't make it!) and you could probably talk to local farmers about tractors/ 4x4s so people can get in if they have to.

It's not Brentor Church is it? Which is in the middle of Dartmoor, and you have to walk up a volcanic plug, which is very cool. Church substantially to small and no way to get aged parents up hill otherwise would have seriously considered it!

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, we're having a winter wedding this year and an important factor in our decision making was that the venue was on a main road which was passable even during the worst of the last two years. Early December should be ok though I would think.

• P
    Beginner June 2013
    pokarekareana ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a similar dilemma - I'd love to have a winter wedding but the majority of our guests will have to travel quite a long way; my MOH and one of the ushers both live 6+ hours away. I think we might have to be sensible and go for autumn or spring instead - boo!

Hope the right answer makes itself clear to you soon x

• L
    Beginner January 2012
    la1510 ·
    • Hide content

We're a Winter wedding (January 2012) and my biggest worry is guests travelling- as I'm from Newcastle and getting married in Kent most of my family have long drives- but I have never pictured a summer wedding in my head and really wanted a winter wedding so it's a risk but it will all work out fine (so I keep telling myself)- as OH reminded me the way the weather is in this country it could do anything from snow to bright 30 degree sunshine but I have come to the conclusion there isn't much I can do about it so stopped worrying about it

• B
    Beginner April 2011
    babypp2 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and Welcome to Hitched!

Weather is the one thing you have absolutely no control over, and you shouldn't let it be the thing that dicates to you where you have your wedding. If you put the right provisions in place, then there's no reason you can't have your day where you want it! Hire Tractors and Trailers to ferry your guests to the venue and make it a feature of your wedding! Smiley smile

I'm getting married in December, and the weather hasn't really crossed my mind. Last year all my friends and family were very concerned that the weather might be just as bad this year. My venue is quite difficult to get to, and it's about a mile down a single track road.

As it is, the weather is actually looking set to be wet, windy and generally miserable, which is fine by me! I'd been hoping for a white wedding earlier in the year, but when i really thought about it, i realised that i don't get that lucky, and it will probably be wet and minging, so i kind of set my mind on it being like that. - anything other than that will be a plus! Smiley smile

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congratulations on your engagement. I got engage in Venice too, on the Rialto Bridge ? where did your OH pop the question?

As for a wedding on 1st December I think it would be beautiful. I'm looking out of the window now and it's gorgeous; bright and crisp with a slight chill in the air and I don't think it will change much in the next few days. I can't remember it snowing this early so I'm sure you'll be fine ?

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, it's the same here. The problem with this country is we can never predict the weather, we had snow in April a few years ago yet this April was absolutely scorching! I wouldn't let the good old British weather put you off as it's so unpredictable, all you can do is make sure you have provisions or a back up plan in case there is snow. If you want a Winter wedding go for it and congratulations on your engagement - exciting times ahead!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kate and Gareth congratulations and welcome to hitched, ours is a summer wedding but no doubt it will pour that wont dampen our day though so iif you really want it have it as others have said there may be ways around the snow with lovely farmers and 4x4's good luck x

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nearly word by word WSS! Also getting married in December and We did worry about possible snow as some guests and members of the Bridal Party live in hardly accessible locations and the venue is off a main dual carriageway but being a stately home the road that takes guests from amin rd to House is a country lane so... again.. difficult. But it looks like it won't snow this year so... I am both relieved and sad LOL!

• G
    Beginner December 2012
    Gemicle ·
    • Hide content

Hey i'm getting married on 22.12.12 (was gonna be xmas eve but family did not approve!). Anyway I totally feel your pain, what you need is a snow plan.

My snow plan goes like this; 1. have an honest talk with your OH, are you prepared to walk in snow? would you just cancel? etc. 2. get wedding insurance that covers snow related rearrangements 3. talk to venue, what are they willing to do? - mines on a private road and they said they'll clear a turn around in the car park for taxis 4. talk to a taxi company, can they get people there (and back!) 5. find a local hotel to put people up, they will prob want to stay if they're travelling far anyway and when there is snow hotels will be glad that people are not gonna cancel. 6. tell your guests all about the snow plan, ask them that in the event of snow to persevere and i said i'd do my best to reward them with food and booze. 7. set up a phone tree for your most important guests (people you can't do the day without) so everyone knows whats going on and you can change your plans quickly and easily. 8. once you have a snow plan you are no longer allowed to worry about weather until ten days before the wedding - but even then i'm gonna wait til a few days before to decide anything.

It will be a massive cost but during our talk we decided we either do it and get as many people there as poss, and pay the cost later. Or we don't do it at all and rearrange.

I guess what i'm saying is, if thats the date you want go for it, just have a really good plan to satisfy your worrysome side.

also look up 'weddington boots' ❤️

goodluck x

• S
    Beginner
    SennaC ·
    • Hide content

You can always hire a company too get rid of the snow.

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another Venice engagement!! I think that's about 4 of us now! Congratulations! We got engaged in Venice on 09/02/11. Have fun planning and don't stress about the weather, there's too much other stuff that you can actually control to stress about!!

• V
    Beginner December 2012
    Venice2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jenny! We were staying in Rialto Hotel right next to the bridge-the pink one! Gareth proposed on a gondala under the Bridge of Sighs...it is said if you kiss under the bridge you will enjoy everlasting love!! He had the ring in his sock all morning bless him ! ?

I think we will bite the bullet and stck to that date regardles of what family say...its what we want.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE & ENCOURAGEMENT, REALLY HAS HELPED & FEELING A LOT CALMER NOW!! Will no doubt have another million questions and need for advice as the planning goes on!

XXXXXX

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics