Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharding2014
Beginner October 2014

Wedding day running order and timings

kharding2014, 15 of June of 2013 at 19:31 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi,

I'm struggling to know the best running order and timings for my wedding. I don't want people hanging around bored but at the same time I don't want the day to feel rushed.

So this is what I'm thinking (I should add ceremony, breakfast and evening party are all in the same hotel)

Ceremony 2.00pm- 2.30pm

Photos 2.30pm- 3.30pm

Drinks reception - 3.30pm -4.30pm

Wedding breakfast 4.30pm-6.00pm

Room turned around for evening party and drinks in the bar 6.00pm-7.00pm

Evening party guests arrive and DJ starts 7.00pm

First dance and cutting of the cake 7.30pm-8.00pm

Evening buffet gets brought out 8.45pm

Music off and party ends - midnight

Does anyone else have a similar schedule? Is an hour enough for the formal photos?

Thanks x

7 replies

Latest activity by Simon and Alison, 17 of June of 2013 at 09:02
  • D
    Beginner October 2014
    dollydimple88 ·
    • Hide content

Have you asked your venue about timings? Most have a rough timetable set out for the day xx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

You have a similar schedule to us.

Depending on your numbers, the type of breakfast you are having (buffets usually take longer than sit downs) and how many speeches (if any) you might need an extra half an hour for the meal.

As for formal photos it guess it depends how many your want and the amount of guests you have (it obviously takes longer to gather larger groups)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Our venue basically dictated our timings throughout the day. We suggested certain things and they steered us towards something else. I suppose they know what works there, though, so I definitely second asking your venue what they suggest. For reference, though, we have:

2:30-3 ceremony

3-4:30 photos and drinks reception (usually these are at the same time, and you have 2 hours total listed for yours- unless you're serving canapes and lots of drink, it might be too long)

4:30-7 wedding breakfast (incl speeches)

7-midnight evening

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is very similar to Venart's day only an hour earlier:

1:30 Ceremony

2:00 Drinks reception and photos (only a few group shots and the rest just natural)

3:30 Wedding breakfast and speeches

After the wedding breakfast OH and I will go for a walk with the photographer (and her very long lens!) so that we can have some time together and she can get some shots of just the two of us

7:30 (ish) Evening do starts and we've not worked out the timings yet for first dance, bacon sarnies etc

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

As has already been said, photos and post-ceremony drinks reception are usually combined - an hour is a long time to keep your guests waiting without a drink while you have lots of photos done. I would say that two hours total is probably too long.

You've only allowed 1.5 hours for the wedding breakfast - have you checked that with your venue? If you're having a three course sit-down meal with speeches that usually takes at least 2 hours. Your venue will have a good idea of how long it will take to serve and clear.

Hope that helps!

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks for all of your advice. The venue have been really flexible and have said they will fit around us. The only problem is I don't know what we need. I think I have found the wedding photographer so I have asked for her advice on how long to leave for the photos. It also occurred to me that the 2 of us would like to get away for some pics of just the 2 of us and the guests don't need to be hanging around for that.

I've jigged the timetable around a bit. Any better??

Ceremony 2.00pm- 2.30pm

Drinks reception and group photos 2.30pm - 3.00pm

Drinks reception continues and couple sneak off for group photos 3.00pm - 4.00pm (canapés and drinks to be served to keep guests amused)

Wedding breakfast 4.00pm-6.00pm

Room turned around for evening party and drinks in the bar 6.00pm-7.00pm

Evening party guests arrive and DJ starts 7.00pm

First dance and cutting of the cake 7.30pm-8.00pm

Evening buffet gets brought out 8.45pm

Music off and party ends - midnight

Kayleigh x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds better but make sure you try and spend some time with your guests during the drinks reception. We met with our tog the other day, who mentioned this.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Best to check with your photographer to see how long they need for the formal photos - this will also depend on how many formal groups you're wanting, and the style of photos for the two of you - if they're very staged photos it'll take longer than relaxed shots. I'd also suggest having 15 minutes (at least) of the drinks reception for you to say hello to your guests and for them to congratulate you - better than rushing straight into the photos.

Ali

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics