Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kitty824
Beginner December 2011

wedding day saturday or sunday?

Kitty824, 5 of December of 2010 at 20:14 Posted on Planning 0 22

Just looking for some advice...

Me and my H2B are going to confirm our wedding date will the church on wednesday, our scheduled day is a saturday but we are both wondering if sunday would be a better day...

Has anyone got any thoughts? saturday 17th or sunday 18th december 2011? I guess Im looking for a pros and cons list!

Thank you fellow hitchers! Smiley laugh

22 replies

Latest activity by Alice Brown, 9 of December of 2010 at 02:37
  • C
    creative wedding planner ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Saturdays and Sunday weddings are equally good, but its a personal thing really.

Good thing about a Sunday wedding is, some times venues can be less expensive than a Saturday weddings.

Good luck with your meeting on Wednesday ?

• N
    Beginner
    northwood ·
    • Hide content

We are having a Sunday wedding and it purely came down to cost.

A few of our guests have been surprised as the traditional day is a Saturday so I suppose the main con is that people will not stay maybe to the end of the night as they have work the next day but we will see.

One of the main positives has been for negotiating with suppliers though.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Sundays are becoming more popular but I think a Saturday is better for most Guests as they usually don't have to get time off & they don't have to work on a Sunday so can spend the free day travelling if they have to.

Sundays can be cheaper but not always.

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

The work thing on a Monday can sometimes cause an issue so Saturdays work better usually especially if guests have to got to travel far. However, looking at your choice of dates, that weekend is the busiest weekend for work christmas parties so you might want to think about that, although I would be pretty pissed off if someone didn't come to my wedding because their works do was on the same day, but it might interfere one way or another.

(Another) however, I actually had a Sunday wedding and I was able to get loads of discounts and good deals because of it. This was over 7 years ago though and Sunday weddings weren't very popular and a lot of suppliers have twigged on to the fact that people are choosing Sundays more, so stick to your guns and haggle! It didn't really hinder my wedding at all and guests were actually happy to take the Monday off work and have a long weekend. Again the dates though are very close to Christmas and people might not be able to take extra time of work if it's a busy time for them or if they are already using a lot of holiday of the Christmas period.

Not sure that's helped much, but hopefully given you food for thought.

Ruth

x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

The only advantge of taking a Saturday IMO is cost reductions, that said we have a Friday wedding - everyone told us it means we should be able to ask for a discount, I have done this at almost every supplier, only to be told that "Fridays and Sundays are as popular as Saturdays now". So if this is a motivator, i'd still opt for a Saturday,

The reason why we went Friday rather than Sunday is that we wanted guests to have the whole weekend to recover and not worry about having to work the next day. We also wanted a big meet up for breaky which wouldn't be possible with a Sunday wedding.

I guess you may be forced to choose the Sunday if the required time is already taken on Saturday, I assume the weekend before Xmas is a hugely popular time to get married.?

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I prefer Saturdays personally, I'd be worried people wouldn't want to stop long due to work the next day.. plus if they were having to travel quite far.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually I think that the traditional day to get married was on a weekday Wednesday or Friday I think it was, wasnt until people started working monday-Friday that the traditional day moved to a saturday...dont quote me on that but I think thats true Smiley smile.

ALTHOUGH - crack on with a sunday wedding Smiley smile might be cheaper and its different so youre not having the same as others Smiley smile

X

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

During advent some churches won't have any flowers? not sure if this is a consideration or not, and priests are usually very busy leading up to christmas, so your priest may say that a saturday or even the friday would work better for him.....

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Our church charges more to have the service on a sunday than on a saturday, but this may not be the norm.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Cost is the only thing that I would consider. You'll need to think about how far your guests are travelling as they'll more than likely have to take a day off work on the Monday if they've travelled far.

Whilst I would happily take a day off for close friends and family, I may be reluctant to do so for a not-so-close friend or more distant family. Having said that, it might be a good way to weed out those who you don't really want there!

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, were getting married on a Saturday, reason for this is mainly we have a lot of people coming to the wedding and a fair few of them have quite far to travel and it just wouldnt be possible for Sunday, also a Friday was no good for us either as a lot of guests have children also and it would mean taking time of work and kids out of school.

Sorry if this doesnt help!

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We chose a Sunday as our venue was much cheaper for Sunday weddings. Most of our guests are travelling from outside the region so even with a Saturday wedding people would need to take a day off work to get there, so it didn't make that much difference from that point of view.

Registrars' fees are more expensive on a Sunday though.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Venues are sometimes cheaper on a Sunday but I would be worried about guests leaving early due to having work on Mon morning. We weren't sure which day but went for a Saturday in the end - Sat 15th Dec 2007 in fact - close to your dates!

I know a few people who got married on a friday as it was a bit cheaper and with plenty of notice guest are happy to book the day off work and the work the next day thing is not such a big issue.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I went for a Sunday - our venue was £1300 cheaper than on a Saturday, I think some of the other things may have been a bit cheaper too. I think it depends - 90% of our guests were coming from within an hour's travel time, so a Sunday was fine, but I think if you're expecting people to travel, a Saturday is better. I would personally prefer a Sunday rather than a Friday as I think if you book a Friday people are forced to take at least one, maybe two days off, whereas on a Sunday people can choose. A few people did leave our evening do early, but some stayed on till the end, and I was happy with that.

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone who has commented - I think we will stick to the provisional date of saturday. I think it will be hard enough for people to get time off work at that time of year without me adding to that.

(dont know how ratings work but I rated this on account of the good advice you all gave - dont know if thats what its for ?)

• C
    • Hide content

Good luck, keep us all posted ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

This was also true for us but then our venue hire was £550 cheaper so it was still a substantial saving there. No other suppliers gave a Sunday discount so other than the venue, there was no real cost benefit to either day.

We went for a Sunday purely because of the date! I wanted to get married on 08/08/10 which happened to be a Sunday so that was that decision made!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I've got a Sunday (venue cheaper) but picked the next available Bank Holiday....

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

Have you checked available dates with the reception venue you want yet? I ask because I have been calling around several places over the last few days to book my reception and everywhere has said that they have every Saturday in 2011 booked up from May until the end of the year, but most Sundays were free. Most churches are pretty flexible but the hotels, etc are not.

• C
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly what my clients have done for there wedding ?

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content

Quick update!

We stuck with the "pencilled in" date of saturday 17th december! Yay

then after we went to the church and paid deposit we went straight to our 1st choice venue and booked it - our date was free! yay! Day didnt make any difference on price didnt on our venue.

Very happy kitty!!

• A
    Alice Brown ·
    • Hide content

In my opinon, i think Sunday is better, which will be more meaingful. if you need wedding dresses or bridemaid dress, i can recommand you one site, and the price is very reasonable.

http://www.merbridal.com/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics