Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Benjaminsmum
Beginner November 2014

Wedding Day underwear practicalities

Benjaminsmum, 20 of October of 2014 at 19:26 Posted on Planning 0 14

So I bought myself some big 'hold me in' knickers for my wedding day to wear under my dress (nothing at all sexy about them), however I had a sudden realisation yesterday that the top of the knickers, which are at boob level, will be tucked under the corset body of the dress and once that baby is pulled tight there's no way il get these knickers down to use the loo.

Anyway this then led to me wondering two things:

1) what underwear will be practice on the day

2) How am I going to pee without getting the dress wet or ripped or anything else!

I have quite a full dress with lots of layers, a long train and a hoop underskirt.

Any advice?

14 replies

Latest activity by Miss-b, 22 of October of 2014 at 10:34
  • B
    Beginner September 2015
    Beccleberry ·
    • Hide content

Following this... My dress is quite big with a hoop underskirt - I've advised my sisters they will be on dress duty so be prepared haha!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

My sister wore normal knickers and suspenders and stockings. Made it fairly easy to go to the loo although I had to hold her dress when she went to the loo in the reg office before the ceremony. I'm planning on wearing normal style pants with tights and a strapless bra - I really recommend investing in a wonderbra one they stay in place all day no slipping even though I wore an extender in the back.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

Most brides I know have taken the MOH to the loo with them to hold the dress up while they do their business! There's so much dress that they can't see anything!

Would a pair of comfy knickers not serve you better on the day- what did you wear to your dress fitting? If it has a fair amount of structure to it, which it sounds like it does if you have a bodice you shouldn't need support pants. Plus those things are pretty uncomfortable once you've eaten!

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

I wore a full dress with lots of layers and a hoop and I managed to wee by myself all day! It was a struggle but it happened. My underwear was an all in one body thing with poppers at the crotch so that wasn't a problem, but my tights were all the way up by my boobs so after the first wee I couldn't pull them all the way up any more, but it was fine... but they were tights so a bit different to underwear. Would you consider buying new underwear? Mine was from Debenhams, about £30 but bloody brilliant.

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

I wore normal pants & hold ups, I had a corset/ bodice top so didn't need hold me in pants ? - I had a suspender belt but tbh it just got in the way, & I joked to my sister (who was also my chief bridesmaid) & my BM's that they would have to hold my dress while I pee- they told me to get lost! So I had to struggle! It was a bit of a struggle but I managed. I had to use the disabled loo though for the extra room!

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

How are you with a needle and thread, have you thought about cutting the pants open (at the business end) and adding poppers?

When i wear control pants i usually have normal pants underneath so if you followed that approach poppers shouldn't be a problem!

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't thought about going to the loo with a big dress on! I will be wearing simple panties that will be personalised with 'Mrs Collins' so my husband has another little surprise when the dress comes off. I don't want my bridesmaids seeing them!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I just wore french knicker style pants, but I did what the dress shop suggested and sat on the toilet facing it, so my train stayed out of the way! It was a bit odd but so much better than risking my dress!

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

That's a brilliant idea!

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Weird but I totally get it! Good tip.

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    LRsoontobeLH ·
    • Hide content

I just wore some nice ted baker french knickers. My dress was very structured and provided all the support I needed.

I did the facing backwards thing when I went to the loo and it worked well. I've heard that its actually easier with a hoop as you (or bridesmaids) just have to lift the hoop up and it'll lift all the layers/dress with it.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I was originally going to wear a padded strapless bra and extra firm pull in pants, as my dress was a handfasting dress, and just one layer of velvet that clung to everything! As it turned out I was 6 weeks pregnant on the day, the bra didn't fit and I couldn't bear anything pressing my stomach, so I just wore 'normal' underwear and got my bridesmaid to pull the corset back as tight as possible to give it some shape and hold the wobbly bits in as much as possible!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

If it's a corset back and big skirt, do you NEED control pants? I would think the dress will hold you in and give you shape? In which case, go for knicker that sit below the corset line.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can't wear a bra with mine - or at least I will do when they get the ruddy fit right and stop taking the back in (which fitted fine originlly) instead of the actual cups, which need the alteration.

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear. Hadn't thought of that. Every piece of advice I saw told me to wear hold-me-in pants as it makes a difference to the way the dress fits, but they never mentioned you wouldn't actually be able to go to the loo if you were wearing a dress that was so slim fitting you'd need the help of hold-me-ins! Gah! Just bought some too!

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't thought about underwear yet as I don't even have a dress, but I will probably wear some lacy knickers, comfortable, cute and sexy! But I will definitely be peeing in the below fashion!! I think it looks so much easier and if need be you could keep the toilet door open (if its a ladies toilet) with the train out the door and should keep your modesty in tact! If we try and pee the normal way there is too much dress in the way if you have a train. I will be enlisting the help of my Mum, or Aunties or Nana's (whoever I grab first!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics