Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2016

Wedding deposit help

pinkxprincess, 19 of November of 2014 at 12:09 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all,

My fiance and I had put down a deposit for a venue last week, it was quite a significant amount as this was what was needed to hold the date. Although, we did not put down the full deposit amount.

Due to a change in financial circumstances, we have had to push the wedding back another 6 months - we had booked it 18 months early.

We have also had second thoughts about the venue, due to the price and lack of communication.

On signing the contract, we were not directed to the terms and conditions nor where they pointed out to us. The sales manager had also said there was no "set terms" of payment and that we could come to an agreement about payment of the rest of the deposit/remaining amounts for the wedding.

Having looked at the terms and conditions, it does state that the deposit is non refundable. It also states that a booking is not confirmed unless the full deposit is paid.

The venue were also quite adamant on not charging us VAT!

We have formally asked for a cancellation and requested the deposit back on the fact that it was only a week ago that we booked the venue, we have not put down the full deposit and also that the wedding was 18 months away.

Do we have a leg to stand on with this one?

Thanks Smiley smile

9 replies

Latest activity by pinkxprincess, 20 of November of 2014 at 09:45
  • S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congrats on your engagement!

Most contracts do have a cooling off period where you can change your mind within 7-14 days. This is not mandatory however and you should double check the Ts&Cs. Unfortunately, it is not their job to point out the Ts&Cs to you and if you have signed it, you have technically agreed to those terms.

That said, if you haven't paid the full deposit you could request the refund on the basis that technically you had not secured the booking? Threaten with trading standards etc.

Hope it works out for you x

• P
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkxprincess ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ? I will try that! Very stressful! x

• joeybrooks
    Beginner December 2014
    joeybrooks ·
    • Hide content

I really hope you can get out of it as there is nothing worse than losing out on a large amount of money or having to go ahead with something when your heart isnt in it.

It has been mentioned that because you havent paid the full deposit the booking wasnt secure and therefore you should get the deposit back, however, they have held that date for you. I dont think you'd be happy if they contacted you to say we have booked another couple on your date as you didnt pay the full deposit (if you still wanted the venue of course).

I hope someone can help direct you in a way that you can get it back.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Where did you sign the contract? At home or at the venue?

• P
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkxprincess ·
    • Hide content

At the venue.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cancellation of contracts at home regs would only apply if the venue owner came to her home though

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

OK, had you signed it at home then you definitely get a 14 day cooling off period.

Since you signed at the venue then I'm not so sure. You didn't used to but the law recently changed and it's very unclear to me if you do or not.

• P
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkxprincess ·
    • Hide content

Ahh I see.I'll try and contact the venue, if they stop ignoring me, and hope this all gets sorted.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'd hope the venue would be understanding given the fact you've only just placed the deposit and with this much time to go they can't really claim they've done loads of work on your behalf.

• P
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkxprincess ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. They are not willing to part with the deposit so I may need to take legal proceedings. They're exact terms on the contract states:

Payment terms are as follows:

• 25% non-refundable deposit of contracted venue rate – on the date of contract signing
    • A non-refundable deposit of 25% of the overall charge must be paid to The Company by The Client to confirm any booking. If the deposit and signed contracts are not received within this time, all booking/quote will become invalid. The Company then reserves the right to accept another booking for this date.

This is what I'm relying on to hopefully get the deposit back as 25% was not put down.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics