Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Wedding DJ York/North Yorkshire.....HELP!

16 of April of 2014 at 15:48 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi all,

I'm looking for a wedding DJ/Disco for our wedding in York on the 18th September 2015, I'm a bit nervous about booking a DJ as obviously I'm not going to find out how good (or bad) he/she is until the day, by which time it's to late and I'm left with an empty dancefloor!

I just wondered if any of you could reccommend a DJ in North Yorkshire or someone who is willing to travel to York? I'm not into any cheesy DJ stuff, I'm wanting someone who can read the dancefloor and tell what music to play to get people up, my friend recently got married and it was an absolute nightmare, he didn't go of what people liked and ended up playing Kings of Leon - Sex on fire (which got everyone up) followed by Britney Spears - Hit me baby one more time which ended up with everyone sitting down and the dancefloor being empty for ages. ?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! ?

Thanks,

Emily X

3 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 3 of November of 2014 at 22:17
  • D
    dfarrell ·
    • Hide content

Hi Emily, as a dj it can be hard sometimes to get it right 100% of the time, sometimes people have in their minds the most brilliant party disco ever , and just as a night out your really looking forward to doesn't always meet expectations so too can the pressure of the wedding disco.

My advice don't go for cheap ( but then I would say that ! ) anything under £300 is probably not going to have the equipment to make th wedding disco stand out.

also think about if you want uplighting etc to create a 'elegant feel' to the room as it all helps get people 'in the mood' alo think about other unusual items eg a video disco, where you have video screens to entertain people - not everyone wants to dance !

Finally a good dj as well as reading the room will also ask for some inout before nit just for your first dance but also key tracks you / people like as that helps guage the style of music eg a ir ecently did one along a heavy metal theme !! ( bride and groom were both very posh before you wonder ) but they just liked that style of music - equally you have to be careful I did one recently where theywanted a lot of coldplay - great group but not everyones taste eg aunts uncles and kiddies etc

hope that helped

David

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

Can't recommend Dom at WDC entertainment highly enough http://www.wdcentertainment.co.uk/

Seen him in action and also heard some really good reviews. No cheese (apart from the cheese that the couple requested!) and the floor was full all night.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I'm a wedding photographer in Yorkshire and I saw a chap a year ago who was so bad half the guests had gone home by 9.30pm and the other half were stood outside the venue! (In the rain, with the staff!)

DJ Tim Whitworth is up York way, I think. He's good but he has a lot of large speakers, so ask how much space he will need.

I work regularly with Andy Liddle who has a team of dj's and they all seem to be good.

There's also Steven Heath Entertainment of Bradford. Steve is a live singer who will also dj during the evening, so if you were thinking about a band/singer he'd be good.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Emily,

Take a look at the suppliers here on Hitched first and have a look at their reviews. This will give you a good idea of what couples think.

Then before you get in contact with any DJ's make a list of things that you want/do not want from them. Then when you email/call them you have something to reference from.

Look at their website, do they have any live footage? Have they got modern equipment? Will they accept your requests of songs to play/not play!?

If you then can't decide or still feel apprehensive contact one of the national entertainment agencies that will help you with suggestions of DJ's close to your location. They will have references and reviews and will deal with them on a weekly basis.

And for the record.......any DJ that follows 'Sex on Fire' with Britney should hang up their headphones!!!!

Happy planning.

James

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics