Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2022 Co Antrim

Wedding dress 50% deposit - refund

Anonymousbride2022, 28 of December of 2021 at 13:05 Posted on Planning 0 3
Hi! I found my dress last June and paid a 50%(£1800). 3 weeks ago I discovered that my partner’s sister in law was wearing an extremely similar design dress by the same designer on her wedding day. The measurements for my dress weren’t due to be taken until May 2022 and they are claiming that they cannot cancel the order with the supplier even though production hasn’t started yet. For this they are trying to keep £800 of the deposit. What are your thoughts on this? I was expecting to pay a small amount due to their inconvenience but not this much. I’m now left less than 9 months before my wedding with no dress and not in a position to give up £800.

3 replies

Latest activity by Tamsin, 30 of December of 2021 at 11:33
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If it specifies in the agreement you signed that the deposit is non refundable, then I don't think you have much choice - at least they are offering part of it back.

Will they agree to let you put the whole deposit toward another dress? Some places will let you transfer the deposit to another dress from the same designer, while others will let you transfer it to any dress they stock. It might be worth asking.

Alternatively - how far apart is your wedding from your partner's sister-in-law's wedding, how similar are the dresses and how many people are going to overlap between the two? I went to 6 weddings one summer and looking back at the photos, 4 of the brides had very similar dresses, but it didn't even cross my mind at the time. Any chance you could tweak your dress a bit (alter the neckline, add a belt etc) to make it look even less similar?

• Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    In all honesty I'd expect and take the loss. I think once the order process is underway the shop mist have to pay some costs. Nothing is done on goodwill and if everyone cancelled where would that leave them. Don't mean to sound harsh but always look at terms and conditions when you order
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    If you like the dress think about sticking with it. £800 is a lot to just throw away. Will anyone really remember and even if they do will it matter? Just worth thinking it through from the beginning again and making sure you’re not rushing into making any decision. Good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics