Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Savvy July 2023 Greater Manchester

Wedding dress advice

Kirsty, 18 of May of 2023 at 17:31 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 25
Hi I’m hoping I can have some unbiased opinions from people who don’t know me. I’ve collected my wedding dress today after the alterations. I always thought I loved it and now I’m not as sure. It fits really well but still not as fitted on the chest as I hoped. Also I have been set on hair down since the beginning but today have a feeling it might not look right and up would be better? Please help! The wedding is in 6 weeks! Wedding dress advice 1

25 replies

Latest activity by Alix, 26 of July of 2023 at 18:06
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It looks fine in the photos, although your front view in the mirror is quite small, so difficult to tell how well the bodice fits. But certainly from looking at this picture, it's beautiful and seems to fit you well. I think having your hair down is fine - what makes you think it won't work?

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a video but it wouldn’t let me upload. Thank very much. It does fit well. I’m not sure what it was about my hair today think I might need to do a trial and see what my options are and how it looks and feels. I need a backless bra too I’m a 32E so not sure what will work best.
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

I think you look lovely in the dress. As it is exposed back, there is less support for the front which is maybe why it is not as fitted as you want it to be.

I have similar problem with hairstyles. Have had 2 trials but still not sure.

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s so hard to know what you would want on the day and how it will look once makeup and everything is done isn’t it. I’m looking at backless stick on push up bra options so I have the support I want on the day
  • Laura
    Dedicated July 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I think your hair looks lovely down, perhaps you could just have a twist or vine in it to make it more bridal? I love the back of the dress and the train with the veil. It's important that you feel great in it, but I also think we put a lot of pressure on how we think we should look in our wedding dresses and I think the entire look on the day may make you feel different. I would say have your trial, show the stylist pictures of the dress and maybe that will help you get more excited?
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    From what I can see the dress looks lovely on you. I can’t see the front very well to see how the chest is sitting on you though, and as I’m a similar size to you I can imagine it feels a bit unusual to not have a bra support in place. Is it that you don’t like how they look when you immediately put it on, or is that after a bit of time the dress moves and then they look odd. For the former, maybe a backless bra support thing, for the latter maybe some boob tape (I use a Boux Avenue one and honestly nothing moves anywhere with that stuff) on the inside to give you some confidence it’s not going anywhere?

I can imagine that dress suiting both a down do and an up do, so if you’ve always imagined down, then stick with it. Maybe see if you can do a hair trial (or if you don’t have time for a full trial, some hair salons do that service where they do like a style & go for like £15-20 kind of thing) and then when you get home, chuck your other half out for 30 mins, and pop your dress back on with the bra pads or boob tape & see how it all looks together. I’m sure you’ll love it all over again, once you get the full bridal feeling.
  • K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Laura. How are you having your hair? I have thought to have half up with a boho plait with some gypsophila. That's very true it is a lot of pressure on us as the brides. I'm lucky as my hair and makeup artist so I think I will ask her to do a trial with me soon. Where and when are you getting married?

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lisa,

Thank you. What's your dress like? Sorry the picture isn't great, I wish I had asked for some close ups. I think it is that, the support and a bit of a push up, I always wear a bra on a night out etc. I've ordered stick on bras to try out. I am definitely going to ask for a trial soon and see what up would feel like, half up might be a good compromise as it is off my face that way. How are you having your hair?

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds like a beautiful hairstyle and I think it will go really well with your dress.

Don't stress about it - you will be a stunning bride. It's natural to feel some nervousness about your appearance, because so much pressure is put on brides. But I've never yet seen a bride who didn't look amazing on her wedding day, so I doubt you are going to be the first!

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I usually have my hair down and that's how I feel most comfortable but my hair is also really fine, between curly and straight and doesn't grow very long so I didn’t think it would be possible to find a bridal style without having it up. I had my trial and couldn't believe it when she made me look exactly like the pictures on my Pinterest board. I have now bought some sparkly hair grips for £10 to go with it and I am so excited. I hope this gives you some inspiration/encouragement! I am getting married in Cambridgeshire at the end of July - thanks for asking 🙂Wedding dress advice 2

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thanks I needed that reminder! I’ll try not to stress and just enjoy every second. I bet it goes so fast. I was worried about my hen do and it’s already been a week since! Thank you ☺️
  • K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww wow your hair is gorgeous and is going to look so stunning on the day. The sparkly clips will be a lovely addition too. You’ve definitely made me want to have a trial now to know what my hair will look like. It’s good to know what accessories to I bet. Aww I hope you have a lovely day. It’s an exciting time isn’t it 😀
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, yes go ahead and book a trial and be completely honest about what you want, even try something a bit different as there is time to change it if it doesn't work out. It will be fun and I'm sure the hair and make up artist will make you feel amazing! Let us know how it goes!
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally understand that. It is also weird and especially coming out of winter, where you’re like bra, pants, socks, multiple layers and all the rest on, on a normal day. To then be putting on your wedding dress and all you have is pants on underneath, it’s almost like I’m missing a few things when I’ve put mine on 😂 Mine is a v-front and back, but not quite as low at the back, with all the boning built in. It’s currently at the seamstress, so I’m hoping it’s all sitting where it should when I pick it up in a couple of weeks 🤞

I’m doing my hair, technically half up, but it’s clever how she’s done it as it’s a loose braid of hair at the top, that looks like a natural part of my curl. I have very thick hair, not as long as yours, that’s naturally curly, so I wanted to lean in to the curlyness. I’ll be looking to have the below, but with a bit of oil to help with the frizz (oh the joys of humidity). Hopefully this pic loads:Wedding dress advice 3Let us know how you get on. I hope your trial goes well and that you feel more confident in your dress with some bra pads 🤞🤞xx
  • K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wedding dress advice 4
    This is what I’m worried about.

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, I can understand why you are unsure about this. The position your arms are in when taking a selfie may also exaggerate the problem! Did you agree alterations to that area with the seamstress? Did you ask her if anything more could be done? Do you have a stick on bra or boob tape in this picture? I am not experienced in that area but I know magical things can be done!
  • K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Yeh my friend mentioned that it could seem worse because I’ve got my arms raised. I’ve tried on stick on bra from Amazon but it’s didn’t do much. I’ve got another one to try that cost a little more so might be better. I’ve never tried boob tape so I’m a bit clueless. I thought I had discussed the alterations around the top of my dress. It’s a bit tricky to go back as the bridal boutique owner was extremely generous and decided that the dates of my wedding and when I bought the dress were special to her for personal reasons so she refined the cost of my dress, it was only £150 as it was a sample sale dress. I feel uncomfortable to contact and ask for more alterations after trying on last week and telling her I was happy with it.
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Starting with the positives the dress is stunning, the lace detail gorgeous, and your figure looks great in it. You’re going to look amazing!

Like Laura and your friend, I think maybe the arm position is potentially exaggerating it a little, however I do think it’s not been taken in enough at the top, if it were a bra, I’d say it was like 2-3 cup sizes too big. You should be able to jump up and down (think Macarena/YMCA song) and not feel worried. If you’re willing to pay to get more alterations done, I’d get them done, it’s not too late, it’s tight, but you still have time. I saw you’re Manchester based like me, if you’re the south side I can recommend my seamstress - Stockport Wedding Services (on Gordon Street in Heaton Norris). Any seamstress will likely tell you it’s the “height of wedding season” now though, but I’d get yourself in to see one if you can, as you’ll feel 10x better as soon as it’s pinned properly.
  • L
    Beginner March 2024 Northamptonshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    The dress is beautiful, I love the lace detailing. I’m no seamstress but to me that looks like the cups are too big. If you can (budget and time permitting) perhaps consider getting the cups resized.
    Alternatively a friend recommended “Boomba” to me. It’s an insert that sticks to your breasts and the dress - much easier than tape! I haven’t worn so can’t comment myself but wanted to share it with you in case that could be another option for you!
    Best of luck Smiley smile https://www.getboomba.com/pages/wedding-dress-style
  • Joanne
    Savvy July 2023 Kent
    Joanne ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, your dress is stunning! I had a similar problem with my dress ebing lower at the front and clear netting at the back and I was panicking about what bra to buy, but with the alterations they'll be doing (my wedding is in 7 weeks), it's all sorted at the front and the bra panic is over! If I were you and felt awkward asking the bridal shop, I'd try to find someone who can alter the top for you. I don't think you'd need a specific bridal seamstress just for the top half. There are lots our there that are doing prom dresses at the moment and they have great skills. I'm having my hair half up and half down as I didn't want it completely down and having it up all day will hurt my head! I hope you manage to get your dress altered so you feel comfortable xx
  • K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I did fall in love with it straight away and want to love it just as much on the day. I’ve seen bomba online and did wonder if that could be an option too thanks. I’ve ordered perky pear tape to try too as it’s highly recommended. I’m fortunate that my fiancés auntie is a great seamstress as she’s made my daughters gorgeous flower girl dress so I’m going to go and try the dress on for her tomorrow evening to see what she thinks would be best.
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the way you are holding your arms to take the photograph is making it worse, but I do agree it looks like it could do with a bit of alteration. If your fiance's aunt doesn't feel able to tackle it, I would suggest asking a local seamstress to take a look - I can understand why you don't want to go back to the boutique as it might seem ungrateful, but at the same time, you need to feel confident and happy in your dress on your wedding day!

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve been to my fiancés auntie tonight. She’s a very experienced seamstress. She’s raised concerns with the cups being too big and alterations being difficult in that area. Also one strap has been taken in more than the other. It does feel uncomfortable too. I’ve contacted the bridal shop tonight as i paid over £100 for alterations. Hoping they can fix it. What. Bloody nightmare with 5 weeks to go!! Any dresses for sale in size 10? Send my way 😂
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    Really not what you need. Fortunate you have someone experienced you can go to for advice! Best of luck x
  • R
    • Hide content

Oh no! Still, at least you now have an expert opinion that the dress needs fixing. I'm sure someone will be able to fit you in. Let us know how you get on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics