Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Claire
Beginner July 2021 Derbyshire

Wedding Dress Anxiety

Claire, 19 of February of 2021 at 20:55 Posted on Planning 0 3
Is it normal to have such anxiety over whether the dress you have chosen and already bought is really the one? I just keep looking back in photos and feeling like it doesn’t look nice on me. I had reservations after the first appointment and went back and they pinned me in it properly and we added a sparkly appliqué to the waist and that settled me. It is due in store until April I don’t think, since then I have even paid to talk to a wedding stylist and get her thoughts on the dress. I do suffer anyway with over thinking and anxiety in general. But it’s really taking over. Has anyone else felt like this?

3 replies

Latest activity by Helsenki, 30 of April of 2023 at 16:50
  • Becky
    Beginner June 2022 Devon
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    I know exactly how you feel and have been feeling exactly the same! I bought my dress in July and think I’m now starting to feel like it’s the right one.
    I tried on so many dresses, my mum took a video of me trying on the dress I bought and that makes me feel better as I can see the look on my own face when I try it on for the first time.
    I also have my dress at home as it was off the rail and that has helped too because as soon as I have a panic that it’s too tight around my tummy or I won’t find the right underwear I can just try it on and it reassures me that I do like it.There’s so much pressure to find THE dress and ‘you’ll know as soon as you try it on’, but I don’t think that’s the same for everyone. I felt like I should feel a certain way about the dress and because I didn’t cry or just know instantaneously it was the one that I had made the wrong choice.Lots of people say to stop looking for dresses when you’ve found the one you want but I still follow a couple of the boutiques and designers I was originally looking at, and I find it helps as I look at other dresses and I haven’t seen one I like more than the dress I bought.I hope that helps. I think everyone is different, but I know from an over thinkers point of view it’s such a hard decision to make and to feel 100% certain you’ve made the right choice!
  • R
    Beginner May 2021
    RomanticPurpleBridesmaid37365 ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with Becky, there seems to be so much pressure that you’re supposed to have a intense emotional reaction to your dress you’re probably overthinking it way more than you should.

I have moments of feeling the same about mine - I feel like it looks a little boring and too traditional. Then I’ll look at it with a fresh pair of eyes and think I look nice. I feel like it depends what mood I’m in ha! You have to remember that when you tried it on you obviously felt something which is why you bought it. I think once you’re all made up, hair is nice, make up is on, dress has been altered you’re going to feel amazing! Good luck x
  • Claire
    Beginner July 2021 Derbyshire
    Claire ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you girls. I thought exactly the same about the ‘moment’ you find the dress and how programmes and others portray how you are meant to feel. When I am wearing it; you are right I felt something but it when I look in the mirror or photos- so perhaps it’s more a doubt of myself rather than the dress. The wedding stylist I spoke to mirrored what you both said and also said the same as you romantic purple about my hair etc not being done. She said she used to hate people taking photos in her store as it really doesn’t reflect what it will look like especially when photos are taken before the dress has had alterations. It funny you say about feeling it was boring, that’s the road I have gone down this week.
    I am glad it is something normal and lots do actually go through this. I think my dress needed an added sparkle to bring me in at the waist and that’s it Smiley smile
    Thank you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics