Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious March 2025 Nottinghamshire

Wedding dress appointment

Samantha, 25 of February of 2024 at 15:27 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6
I have my first wedding dress appointment next week at a local shop just went in for a browse and ended up with an appointment to try on as happens to be a sample sale next week! Owner has asked me to think of a budget before and said many buy on 1st appointment as takes around 10 months to get dress in (I’m a year away from my wedding)

I don’t want to feel pressured in the day to commit to buy anything and already feeling that a bit - owner said she would get bubbly and nibbles all ready and make me a goodie bag up which is lovely but feels even more pressured as I wanted to visit a few shops and an outlet before making a decision. Is it okay to visit multiple places? And come away without making a purchase?

6 replies

Latest activity by Laurie, 29 of February of 2024 at 12:16
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's absolutely fine. Most people I know visit at least 2 or 3 places, sometimes many more.

Even if you are almost certain you've found the right dress, it's still worth thinking about. I would tell the owner that you don't want to make such an important decision without thinking it over, and ask her for the reference number for any dress/es you are considering, that way you can ring her up to reserve the right one later if you decide it's for you.

I would try to line up the appointments as close together as possible though. You don't want to see a sample dress that you love, decide to wait until you've visited a couple of other shops and then find that the sample has sold meanwhile. If you're having a dress ordered for you, that's different, but with the sample sales, once they're gone, they're gone!

• T
    Savvy May 2024 Buckinghamshire
    T S ·
    • Hide content

I must have been to 10 different stores before I found the dress I was sure about! It's a big decision so there's no shame in going to a bunch of different places. They're all very keen to sell you a dress but also any good shop will be keen to sell you the right dress. It's ok if you want to think about it, make a second appointment, try it on again, and then purchase. Don't feel guilty if they offer champagne, a goody bag, etc - that's an expense they're choosing to take on to try and woo you (and you deserve to enjoy the process!)

I would venture that the shop owner is leaning on you a little bit because it's your first appointment and, if you're getting something ordered for you, there isn't that long to go. I think it's quite rare for someone to find THE dress on their first go, and so shop owner is cautious that this might be the start of a process that takes longer than you thought / more time than you might have to play with.

That, and with what RomanticGreenStationery27135 said about samples being in limited supply. I think she's just mindful of the time you have, and trying to make sure you don't set yourself up for heartache. That's why she's said to think about your budget, she doesn't want you falling in love with something 10x what you can afford, and is trying to ensure you make the most out of your appointment time.

It's very normal to feel nervous and excited. Perhaps go on your own or take one trusted person instead of a whole entourage, it's easy to get lost in other people's opinions and forget to listen to your gut. You'll soon start to know yourself and what you like / don't like in a dress. Maybe you can write down the designer and style name/number of the ones you like to help you remember, and stop them all blurring into one hurricane of tulle.

Best of luck!!

• J
    Savvy April 2024 West London
    Joanna ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely. Make the most of the nibbles . I never got offered them anywhere.
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you really helpful x
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you great advice x
  • Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

Yes. Just be aware with sample sales, there is a pressure of you have to buy it on the day. It's a first to buy gets the dress.

I recommend considering your budget and trying on dresses at a one or two places before going to a sample sale so you have an idea going into the higher pressure environment. I had two appointments before I realised what I really liked (and it was totally different from what I expected to want or suit me).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics